How busy is it on the RP Triathlon weekend?

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
I just realized we booked our RP trip for the last weekend in September which is when they have the triathlon... at our hotel even...

How busy does it get down there? I don't know how many people show up for the tri, but I assume it'll be much busier than normal.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Hey Tyler, it will be a busy weekend. It will be fun though so no worries. The biggest hassle is if you are on Sandy beach and want to get into town on Saturday morning. The roads along the beach are part of the tri for the bike race part so for a couple of hours traffic snarls are a given. Other than that it will be business as usual with our visitor numbers that keep increasing, once we get through September it will be busy every weekend until mid June

ben21

Footnote here... The regular RP Triathlon is in April/May. This is the first time they're doing a Fall event and it's called Rocky Point Tri P.M.... The major difference being this one starts at 2:30pm instead of the normal 9am or so. Adjust accordingly! We'll be down as well that weekend and staying at Las Palomas. Typically the event takes over the Phase 1 side pool/beach with live music, etc... Phase 2 should be much quieter if that's what you're looking for. As Russ mentioned, be sure to run any errands before or after the event as they only allow cars out for emergencies.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Footnote here... The regular RP Triathlon is in April/May. This is the first time they're doing a Fall event and it's called Rocky Point Tri P.M.... The major difference being this one starts at 2:30pm instead of the normal 9am or so. Adjust accordingly! We'll be down as well that weekend and staying at Las Palomas. Typically the event takes over the Phase 1 side pool/beach with live music, etc... Phase 2 should be much quieter if that's what you're looking for. As Russ mentioned, be sure to run any errands before or after the event as they only allow cars out for emergencies.
Doh! We're on Phase 1 ;) Looks like we'll walk over to 2.

ernesto

I do all of the Tri's in the spring. Sometimes they don't have their stuff together, misjudge tides , heat, whatever. No way I'm doing one at 2:30 in the afternoon. Too hot. I would assume others will agree.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
I do all of the Tri's in the spring. Sometimes they don't have their stuff together, misjudge tides , heat, whatever. No way I'm doing one at 2:30 in the afternoon. Too hot. I would assume others will agree.
Shows about 150 people registered, I don't know if that's a normal turnout or not.

MIRAMAR

The answer at the border was: very busy- at 6 pm an hour plus wait! The good news from the weekend was we got to meet Roberto at Bryans on Friday night and had a fun evening discussing Penasco!

Last edited: