I copied this fr

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Not sure if I'd trust the source... lol I see a couple of errors already. Flounder are 1 million percent NOT in the water in the summer months. That is by far the worst information I have ever seen. I don't even think they're at the deeper reefs in the summer months. I think they are completely eliminated as possible catch from June to September. I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong however. Dorado and dolphin fish are one in the same but the months seem to be correct. Corvina and Sea Trout are one in the same and the months appear to be correct. I question the Sierra and Mackerel category. They obviously mean Sierra Mack and Spanish Mack and it was of my understanding that the Sierra and Spanish Mack fishing inshore is good from March to June.... Again, someone with LOCAL KNOWLEDGE correct me if I'm wrong. The Triggerfish is the last category that I believe is a little incorrect. I relate triggerfish with warmer water. I have had days in October that I couldn't troll a lure more than 20 seconds on the South side of CB without a hookup. They are loaded in the water at the end of the summer, September and October. So for COCHI (triggerfish) I'd say more like May through October...

Regardless, pretty cool little table showing the most commonly caught fish in RP. Thanks for the add!

richwi

Well Known Member
I couldn’t vouch at all for its accuracy Just seemed like a cool chart that I thought might be helpful to some.

audsley

Well Known Member
The outfit that published the calendar has huge boats and offers overnights, so who knows where they were going. Maybe all the way to Angel Island. I could understand listing the same species under both Spanish and English names, but not different months for the same species depending on the name. I also wonder how many years ago this chart was printed.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
The outfit that published the calendar has huge boats and offers overnights, so who knows where they were going. Maybe all the way to Angel Island. I could understand listing the same species under both Spanish and English names, but not different months for the same species depending on the name. I also wonder how many years ago this chart was printed.
That's the only way Yellowtail could be listed as catchable in May. Midriff Islands maybe! The YT like that cold Pac water. As soon as that water temp starts coming up they go back south.

rplarry

Well Known Member
Not sure if I'd trust the source... lol I see a couple of errors already. Flounder are 1 million percent NOT in the water in the summer months. That is by far the worst information I have ever seen. I don't even think they're at the deeper reefs in the summer months. I think they are completely eliminated as possible catch from June to September. I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong however. Dorado and dolphin fish are one in the same but the months seem to be correct. Corvina and Sea Trout are one in the same and the months appear to be correct. I question the Sierra and Mackerel category. They obviously mean Sierra Mack and Spanish Mack and it was of my understanding that the Sierra and Spanish Mack fishing inshore is good from March to June.... Again, someone with LOCAL KNOWLEDGE correct me if I'm wrong. The Triggerfish is the last category that I believe is a little incorrect. I relate triggerfish with warmer water. I have had days in October that I couldn't troll a lure more than 20 seconds on the South side of CB without a hookup. They are loaded in the water at the end of the summer, September and October. So for COCHI (triggerfish) I'd say more like May through October...

Regardless, pretty cool little table showing the most commonly caught fish in RP. Thanks for the add!

So, can’t identify myself as a complete local expert, but have fished down in RP for 25+ years and much of my knowledge comes from fishermen at the Marina, guys on the Malecon, and many of you on this message board. Along with my own fishing successes and failures

That being said, the chart is a charter fishing marketing piece, and as Joe already alluded to, it is full of dung.

Would love to have someone call them up in August and tell them you only want to go flounder fishing, you don’t want to catch anything else. I’d like to hear their reply.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
So, can’t identify myself as a complete local expert, but have fished down in RP for 25+ years and much of my knowledge comes from fishermen at the Marina, guys on the Malecon, and many of you on this message board. Along with my own fishing successes and failures

That being said, the chart is a charter fishing marketing piece, and as Joe already alluded to, it is full of dung.

Would love to have someone call them up in August and tell them you only want to go flounder fishing, you don’t want to catch anything else. I’d like to hear their reply.
Agreed. The best part is 95% of the charter boats are taking you out 5 miles to catch Trigger and Rock bass.... For $250/person... Another reason to just buy a kayak or small boat/jet ski. Yes there are maintenance costs but it's kind of a joke what they pass off for "sport fishing" these days in Rocky Point. Not saying that fuel prices aren't a major factor but let's be real. This is a "take the money today" and not worry about tomorrow kind of culture.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
The Big Mama has been catching fish for a while now from what I see in pictures. Not sure on the price however...