I film a short documentary about Rocky Point

Kenny

It's great so far, but you called our fishing waters the Gulf of Mexico, it's not! It's most commonly called the Sea of Cortez, and on a lot of maps it's the Gulf of California, and it's a completely different body of water.... OK, now back to your video.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Yep Kenny is right it is the sea of Cortes'. Another critical picky point is the pronunciation of the town Puerto Peñasco not Penasco, also it is correct to also use Rocky Point as it is widely accepted here among the rockaportenses other than that I like it all the way through.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Little to add to Wahoo's critique above- shrimping is the primary commercial harvest - I wouldn't mention marlin or any other species- RP is not considered a marlin destination- sailfish maybe in summer, but very few marlin are hooked up here.

Geography:

Seas of Cortez, not Gulf of Mexico

There is no "bay". The shots you have are of the "harbor" - The difference? A bay is naturally formed - a harbor is man-made. Rocky Point's harbor was the result of manual dredging and rock jetty building - it is man made.

lastly:

It's not "Penn-awsko"

It's "Penn-Yahsko"

The "n" is an "eñe"

Ok, that's just a little tease - I'm sure it won't affect your grade. :cool:

Hey by the way.... Coolio on NAU (from a Lumberjack Alumni - class of 92)

Last edited:

MIRAMAR

I thought the harbor was originally an estuary- can anyone confirm/deny that? And they just dredged the estuary out further to create the harbor (still not a bay though). Unless you're talking about Bahia San Jorge (which I read from my book, Travels in Mexico, it was named after King George) and Adair Bay was also named for an Englishman!

Kenny

Cholla was built up by retiree's, and people building their places there on free weekends for a get away. My dad heard about Cholla bay from his friends where he worked, Hughes Aircraft Company, and that's why my folks first came down in 56. It seems a bunch of those arrivals from that part of Cali fell in love with it, and many people from Hughs ended up there.
Wahoo, retired bar tenders from Tucson had a bigger impact on Cholla bay than the counter culture did... Now Jerome's a differnt story.

Last edited:

Kenny

View attachment 4845

I think it is clear that it too was an esturary
That's why early on and with the smaller boats, Cholla bay was where the majority of the boats were launched, and where the fishing village was located. It had been a fishing Village for the native North Americans for generations before that.

Some of you old timers might remember that there was still small groups of "Indians" fishing out of Cholla in the 50's, I do.

Kenny

Kenny, you are the one to go for history here, the Hippie thing in Cholla is heresay.

I thought all american communes; ahem I mean "American built self sustaining communities" on the beaches where called Hippie villages as I was told.
There's no question that there were "long hairs" and all that crowd hanging out, and that Cholla had a reputation as a wild place, but I'd say there were a lot more characters and misfits than Hippies. Now there was a nudist organization that camped out at Sandy beach in the 50's, but they weren't Hippies, just normal good old fashioned Nudist. I ran into a bunch of them after I went over a dune when I was about 10, and I ran like hell back to our friends camp (The wild bunch from Hugh's) at Sandy beach (we stayed in Nachos hut's in Cholla) thinking there must be something wrong with them. "No Kenny, their just Nudist's, some people just like to be nude in the sun". Boy did that ever get me in trouble as a kid growing up in the Valley of the sun. But it's OK Kathy, my parents said so.;)