I had to defend my future home....

Kenny

Well Known Member
Boy Kenny, I thinks Dis just called you old folks. Can't possibly be refering to me...:rofl:
I missed it, I guess he thought better than to mess with a plagiarizing lier.

Lighten up!

Last edited:

Kenny

Well Known Member
I know my Hoosier sister, but like I told you the day before, it's all going to be OK.:grin:

marybna

Well Known Member
I too am bothered by people that rent their condos and do not pay the room tax. Those taxes help the city make RP a better place. But look at the ads on craigslist. "Pay no fees or taxes." Those fees and taxes are what keep the area up. I get call all the time for rentals and when I tell them the cost, they say "Oh I won't pay fees or taxes." Good then I do not want to rent to you.
A couple of weeks ago I got a call on a Fri night for a rental. The condo they were staying at had the water turned off. (Rented from owner) They went to the front desk and were told that as "guest of owner" there was nothing they could do. So they were looking for another place to rent. No way I would rent to them.
I charge the renter for the fees the are required by the HOA and Hacienda(tax) and guess what I have had no oepn weekends this sumer or this fall.

mondone

Whitecaps
heh, heh... yes, my mind was on auto pilot.... Beach; Mexico;... First thing arriving in in Cabo San Lucas is to tell the driver; "Cosco por favor". What a difference that has been for the trip. It pained me to have to buy 3$ bottles of water to make coffee. Having to buy everything at the 'super plus plus premium tourist prices' made us feel abused. Yes Bodega; aka Wally's in PP, no Cosco .... yet.
Some say the "Fruteria Welton" resembles a mini Costco. They say they carry Kirkland brands and that the prices are pretty consistent with Costco prices. Never been there though.

DeniseAck

Well Known Member
Yeah, I guess we did get off topic a bit here.

"And Denise you say you do not like American stores?" What I meant by not liking American stores is that that's not what I search for when traveling. For instance in Cancun, there are MANY American stores like Benetton, Guess, Sears, as well as high end boutiques etc. (Plaza Las Americas | Cancun.travel) I suppose it made financial sense to their corporate offices, or they wouldn't have built. It obviously fills a niche since they're still open. With so much beauty and unique things the area can offer, shopping at American stores is not how I'm going to spend my precious vacation time. But for a Mexican visiting from another area where those stores don't exist, I suppose it's fabulous. Or for that matter an American who doesn't have access to those stores in their town either. It just isn't a draw for ME. I agree 100% with what GV Jack said, "I went to the Walmart RP store a couple weeks ago and it was at least 97% locals shopping there. If they can save money and get good products, more power to them. Frankly, I prefer Super Ley, Santa Fe and the other mom and pop stores in town. I buy my meat at local small carnacerias that most Americans probably wouldn't step in." Have I ever shopped in Walmart/Target/big box store ? Of course! I just prefer to support the local places of the area I'm in, given the opportunity. But, I'll never eat at a BK or McD's when there's so much AWESOME Mexican food to be had.

Wahoo, you're absolutely right, PP can't support the enormity of the hotel/resort business that the Riviera Maya/Cancun can offer. I think basically because the lack of international flights into the airport, not because of the lack of beauty. I understand some from Las Vegas will be coming soon, and time will tell if it can be sustained if the market is there. I guess I'm trying to say that there already IS a Cancun, so why would PP want to be another one, which is guaranteed to fail by comparison. That's why I was frustrated with the original poster--that's barking up the wrong tree. I could want to be an Olympian with every fiber of my being, but it's never going to happen.

When GV Jack said "
I guess what I'm saying is that in the world, life is in constant flux. Some things change for the better, some not" it's true. A huge influx of people visiting PP would be great for some, but frustrating for others. Personally I hope it doesn't expand into a huge city. But that's a selfish point of view from someone (me) who really likes the small town feel it has now. I suppose restaurants and rental companies would be thrilled though. I'm totally speaking from my point of view here. I really love the way it is without it being overly commercialized the way so many other beautiful destinations have become. With that influx of crowds is the litter, noise, etc. that comes with it.

The beaches maintained by towns/counties in the US are raked every day and I agree, it's lovely being there first thing in the morning with virgin sand. At resorts in the Carribean and Mayan Riviera side of Mexico, the resorts themselves seem to be in charge of raking the beaches. So you can go for a walk on a well-kept area and then get to an area that looks like a dump before getting to another area maintained by the next resort. Litter is my hugest pet peeve! It boggles my mind that anyone would think it's acceptable. I suppose that comes with time as people become more aware and stop the behavior. When we were walking Playa Miramar, Playa Encanto, Playa Dorada, and Las Conchas, I didn't see ANY litter. And I was thrilled that the area was still so unspoiled. We did come upon a rotting turtle and sea lion, but that's just life. If we were at a sanitized resort, I suppose they would've been raked away. Just because people are employed to clean up litter doesn't mean it's acceptable TO litter. It's like people leaving popcorn and sodas on the floor at the movies because there's a person in charge of cleanup. Maybe prices would be cheaper if they didn't have to employ him.

I really like the people I've met on these forums, both the ones I get to spar with and the ones I've met in person and still keep in touch with. I think our love of PP is the tie that binds us all together, or we wouldn't bother being part of the forum at all. That's part of the charm that makes PP unique! Its people!

DeniseAck

Well Known Member
Oh, and totally off the Cancun track, I thought it was hilarious that they were irritated that Pinacate wouldn't erupt for them. Evidently Vesuvius has every couple hundred years and that's far more entertaining for that couple. :)