IMPORTANT and NEEDED ASAP ... life changing need in my humble opinion!

JGattheSea

PIF Puerto Peñasco
Probably one of the most important posts I will make... Puerto Peñasco NEEDS a hemodialysis clinic! The lives and quality of those lives that can be changed when not to having to make arduous trips hundreds of miles away to Caborca, Nogales, Hermosillo, or wherever every other day for life sustaining treatment is a must to have here locally. THIS WILL BE MY GOAL!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
And Greg, as we were discussing on FB last night, if all I can do is haul the machines down in my trailer, I make that commitment to you and the people of Puerto Penasco.

How do you staff the clinic if we can find the machines or money to get the machines? We may be able to appeal to local clinics in Arizona for support. I know nothing about the process but am willing to help.

How do you staff the clinic if we can find the machines or money to get the machines? We may be able to appeal to local clinics in Arizona for support. I know nothing about the process but am willing to help.
Very good question. The first lady has assured me that acquiring the machine is the biggest obstacle. She says the State and Federal governments have already said they'd help with location, staff and necessary supplies. Right now there are well over 40 people who make the trip three times per week for hemo-dialysis in another city. Of those, several are children. Whether or not we get the hemo-dialysis is secondary to knowing there are people like who are quick to step up when they see a need. Thanks to Greg for putting this out there...all we can do is try.

DeniseAck

I don't know if this would be available there, but maybe the kidney patients could change to Peritoneal Dialysis? It allows the patient to do dialysis at home without a machine. It works with the body to do the toxin extraction using a water solution that is flushed. No machines, no blood exchange, no traveling to a dialysis center 3 times a week. It seems to be very popular in rural areas where getting to a dialysis center is very far away. Our nephrologists are from Texas and it is very common there. See this link to help describe it better.Treatment Methods for Kidney Failure: Peritoneal Dialysis - National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse

My dad has been on hemodialysis for the past 4 months and just now had the operation for Peritoneal Dialysis. My family needs to go to a few training sessions, and Dad will need to be seen by the doc at the center once a month. Everything else--paperwork, fluids, bags, nozzles, gloves, masks, bp cuff, digital scale--is sent to the home and replenished as needed.

Hemo is usually started through a catheter in the neck, then changed to a more permanent method. There are 2 arm methods--a graft and fistula--Vascular Access for Hemodialysis - National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. Dad wasn't a great candidate for those since he's 85 and his veins aren't great (common in the elderly). The stomach PD catheter seems to be the best answer. Four half-hour sessions every day while he's relaxing at home. I'm praying this works for him since it is so much gentler on the system and won't require his traveling back and forth to the clinic (30 min away).

If anyone thinks this might work down in PP, let me know and I can ask his Peritoneal Dialysis nurse.

Roberto

I was told recently by Dr. Gonzales out on Sandy Beach at the clinic that a dialysis clilnic was fully funded, first class for Penasco. When who knows.