In Memoriam, Musicians Lost 2014

With the loss of Joe Cocker this week, it got me thinking about others we lost this year. Not the greatest of subjects but some of the memories they created are worth celebrating.

So with that being said, I would like to start with Paco de Lucía.

I was fortunate enough to see him at the Mesa Arts Center in April of 2012 with my teenage daughter. She had never heard of him before and was just "Whatever" with the idea of going with her dad to see yet another guy play guitar. I have tortured her for years with one or another guitar player she should "check out". Lol.

After the first few notes he played, she was captivated, even before his Spaniard Gypsy Flamenco dancer came out and sealed the deal, ;).

He and his accompanying musicians we beyond amazing. It was a magical moment for my daughter and I and she was begging for swag. She was so proud to wear her shirt to school the next day knowing that she had seen something that none of her friends would seemingly be interested in, and knew what they were missing.

She and I were both saddened to read about his death in February of this year.

Instead of a single tune, it would be to hard to pick one, here is an hour of this amazing soul immortalized on HD video.