Insurance for ATV

I am planning to bring down a 4 wheel ATV to leave in Rocky Point full time. Do you need liability insurance and/or license plates to drive on the main streets? Do the cops pull over the ATV/UTV's the same way as regular automobiles violations ie stop signs, speeding?

Bob Oso

As a daily driver, probably not the best of ideas. But all depends what your driving habits are while there. To answer your question, ideally...yes. Mandatory, not so much. Stay off the main roads as much as possible, reasonable speeds, prudent driving, you'll be fine. Keep your money separated, one pocket for paying off the police, the other for daily expenditures.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Mexican liability is only needed if you hit something of value, like a car, or a kid, or another quad....So yes it is mandatory. Any motorized vehicle needs insurance. If you are in an accident and you have no insurance your vehicle can be impounded and lost forever. As far as rules of the road, they are considered the same for all vehicles using the road system. As far as keeping your money separated, in the event of a traffic infraction, you should always go to the cop shop to pay the fine directly to the police system. Some people prefer mordida but it is still wrong, but some are a people of convenience. If you are willing to pay mordida then my guess is it will not be the only time you get stopped......food for thought.

Bob Oso

Just to help confuse you a little more, these responses are from two different types of dynamics when in Rocky Point. One, the weekender that visits numerous times through out the year, and the other a permanent resident. So depending on what you do when you're there, could go either way. I will agree though, an accident with no insurance does mean good bye to your vehicle. As for the rest, see for yourself how regulated the traffic laws are. How scrutinized tags and registration are. How when you're pulled over the reason is always righteous and justified. Not saying Russ's views aren't valid, but your questions was "Do cops pull over the ATV/UTV's the same way." Pulled over, yes. From there on...not likely.