Interesting story about needing medicial help in RP.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
My fear always has been that someone will happen in RP and we'll be shit out of luck. Well, I had my chance in life to test that theory out and I was very surprised with the outcome.

Nothing too major, however my wife and I were walking along the shores Friday night and all of a sudden, my wife starts screaming... She got bit with a jellyfish.

I've never been bit and either has she, so we went up to the front desk and asked for a doctor, she was in a LOT of pain. They told us to use windex and it will get rid of the pain within 15 minutes. Well, about 10 minutes into it, the pain started to move up her leg, into her stomach. I asked the front desk to call the doctor.

They told me it would be about $70 and asked if I was okay with that. $70 to have a doctor come to you? Of course!

Within 10 minutes, the ambulance shows up with 2 paramedics! I wasn't expecting that, I was expecting like a joe blow Doctor. Anywho they do some more windex, and look at her stomach because it kept getting worst.

They told us that we should go to the clinic and get an IV of pain medicine. I thought in my head 'this sounds expensive' so I asked how much it would be, they said $50. $50? Sure! How do I get there? They told me they would take me to the clinic for $30 so I did that, much easier!

So we're driving down the main road, off to the clinic.. We reach there and ran into a small problem.... Nobody spoke English :( We were trying to explain that my wife can't have certain pain medicine and they didn't understand. After calling everyone in my phone book, I found someone that could translate and then the doctors understood.

Fast forward an hour, my wife is feeling all better, the IV made things good. So I go to pay, expecting it to be a few hundred dollars, which is really nothing.. They told me it was originally $130, but they gave me the ambulance for free so it was only going to be $80.

I'm like What? You come to my condo, help me, take me to the hospital, help me at the hospital and it's only $80? ... ? I couldn't believe it. I ended up giving them a $160 total (the rest was a tip) they were very happy, etc. I then asked for a taxi to take me back to the condo (I had no idea where the hell I was) they said 'no no no.., we'll take you back in the ambulance for free'

Amazing service.... I couldn't believe it.

For minor stuff, like stingray, jellyfish, a broken bone...the Red Cross works....and it's free (they do take contributions). The clinic in town (my mind is drawing a blank on the name....but they have a bunch of ambulances right on the main drag) is ok....the doctor in there speaks English. There is also a 24 clinic right off the main road as you come to the Malecon. One of my Mexican friends spoke hightly of the doctor there. An emergency room/hospital opened up not too long ago...it's just past the first light when you come into town (take the left fork instead in following the main road in....and then a left turn a couple of blocks down the left fork).

However, based on what my friends who live in town tell me, they do not trust the medical care in Puerto Penasco for anything major....they prefer to go to Obregon for surgery, etc.

A

AZ Miguel

Your accustom to the medical INDUSTRY in the US. Medicine is big business here and regardless of what your made to believe their main concern is $$$$$$. Commonly you hear that medicine has brought a better quality of life but in reality much of it has caused financial despair, loss of ones life savings to include the family home and eaten away the kids college fund. Many Americans are going to Mexico to have these same medical procedures performed without losing everything they own to an american medical corporation. The quality of medicine in Mexico does meet a high standard and the providers as you have now experienced are also concerned about your care and your costs. This is in a country that doesn't have socialized medicine and costs are still affordable. We make reference to the corruption in the Mexican government but it can't hold a candle to the corruption found in the US medical industry..........this is just my opinion :chef:

A

azbeachboy

My brother in law had a grand mal seizure at the Granada Del Mar. He was on the floor and couldn't move after it was over. The office called a ambulance and it arrived in less than ten minutes. He was taken to the ER and the doctor spoke English. Mike was in the ER all day and received three IV'S and medication. When they discharged him about twelve hours later the bill was around $175.00 for everything including the ambulance ride. We were very satisfied with the treatment Mike got and so was he.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
rockyptjoe said:
For minor stuff, like stingray, jellyfish, a broken bone...the Red Cross works....and it's free (they do take contributions). The clinic in town (my mind is drawing a blank on the name....but they have a bunch of ambulances right on the main drag) is ok....the doctor in there speaks English. There is also a 24 clinic right off the main road as you come to the Malecon. One of my Mexican friends spoke hightly of the doctor there. An emergency room/hospital opened up not too long ago...it's just past the first light when you come into town (take the left fork instead in following the main road in....and then a left turn a couple of blocks down the left fork).

However, based on what my friends who live in town tell me, they do not trust the medical care in Puerto Penasco for anything major....they prefer to go to Obregon for surgery, etc.
The one we went to was on the main drag, next to burger king. I don't know the name. No one there currently spoke English, but I didn't exactly mind. It just made talking to them a little harder.

Tyler...I'm glad things worked out ok for you!

Having done beach camping for years, and also bringing down young children, and seeing the results of stingrays and jellyfish, I've accumulated a box full of first aid stuff...and made good use of it. Fortunately, nothing serious has happened....I've had jellyfish sting...but all I got was a welt. Benadryl (tablets and gel) works well for a lot of stuff. So does Tequila!!! :lol: :lol:

I don't know if I'd come to Mexico for any type of surgery...but I have used the dentists (both myself, and my mother...now 83). The care/work was acceptable, and about one third of the cost in the US.

S

Submarine

My Brother put a 6" hole in his thigh riding his quad. He was stitched up by the clinic in town but should have come back to the States for better care after being stabilized. He's been dealing with multiple hematoma's for the past month and a half, with a total of three surgery's and more than two weeks hospital stay. So other than your basic stuff I'd cut short any trip and return home after having the bleeding stopped and see a U.S. doctor.

B

bahiatrader

I broke my ankle once in Rocky Point, and went to the clinic. Everything was done correctly and professionally, and the cost was minimal. We've been having most of our dental work done in Mexico for the last 30 years. Mexican doctors just don't make as much as those in the US. There are several doctors in Mexico I would trust my life with. There are several doctors in the US whom I wouldn't trust my life with. Having taught doctors, I will have to agree with AZ Miguel. Some of the more important classes US doctors take deal with money management. I feel ike I'm responsible for a couple BMWs and swimming pools in the US.

B

bahiatrader

In the US or Mexico: Rather than look for a hospital, I suggest you look for a good orthopaedic surgeon who is up on the latest and best procedures. Go to the hospital they suggest.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I've had good and bad with doctors in PP over the years. My friend got his nose broken defending me from a drunk American about 25 years ago, We went to the San Juan clinic, the one with all the ambulances on the main drag and he received meds and Dr. Rodriguez packed his nose and it was like 40 bucks. He came home and saw his own Doctor who said the work was just as good as his own. Then, about 15 years ago, one of my friends broke her ankle about 45 seconds after we arrived. Went back to Dr. Rodriguez who took an x-ray and said the ankle was not broken. I also looked at the x ray but it was fuzzy. Well, I tried to argue with him to no avail as I had heard the bone break and after you hear one break, you know what it sounds like. He did give her some pain meds but I had to wrap her up and give her some crutches. Yes, I have them there for me as I am a klutz. :lol: I said we should go home but she wanted to stay. When she got home, she went to her own doctor who took x-rays and found the break. I stopped in the clinic the next time I was there to tell him that it was indeed broken and he said his x-ray machine was old and ask me to bring him one from the states!? :shock: He said he was sorry. :eek3: So, anything serious should be stabilized and brought home. I had a tooth repaired there over 30 years ago as I broke it on the first day of a week stay and didn't want to come home for it. It was also hurting pretty bad. :eek3: I still have all that work, it has never decayed and had to be redone. The last thing I want to tell everyone about is burn salve. It is called Vitacilina and it is the best salve I have ever seen. I just this year saw it in a store here but did not read the label to see if it was the same. One of my friend's children set off 2 packs of firecrackers IN his pocket while he was wearing the shorts!!!! We have NO idea what happened! This was in '83 or so. One of our Mexican friends happened to be there and ran to the pharmacy and bought some while we medicated the child with tequila (Don't yell at me, we had no choice) and washed the gunpowder out of the burn. It was probably the size of a tangerine. By the time we had the burn cleaned my friend was back with the salve. He slathered it all over the burn and the child started giggling. Tequila + Vitacilina = relief. He was fine the next day, no pain, we just kept the burn covered. His mother took him to his pediatrician when we got home and in the middle of the story, the ped said, don't tell me, you used Vitacilina. She said yes and her ped said, "that is the BEST stuff but the FDA won't allow it here." Go figure. I have used it on myself, my friends and family and it IS the best. My friends child is 33 now and just rolls his eyes when we call him Hotpants :lol: Sorry for the long read but this info is good, imho :mrgreen:

Tyler, I'm glad everything is ok, in the 42 years I have been coming to PP, I have never run into a Jellyfish, knock on wood.

B

bahiatrader

They must have got a newer Xray nachine. The Xrays they took of my broken ankle were of high quality.

Terry C

Roberto, i have all there info on my web page if anyone is interested in looking into it. Has not been updated in a while The rates for year coverage are attractive for wellcare etc. A friend of mine in Encanto a retired RN checked their palce out some time ago and was impressed.

jerry

Tyler your wife might need a snack while recovering:
Consider the jellyfish salad or sesame jellyfish. It’s a cold dish. Very simple to prepare. You can get all of the ingredients to make it — including the jellyfish — at any well-supplied Chinese grocery store.

1/2 lb prepared shredded jellyfish
2 tsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp white rice vinegar
2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted

Rinse jellyfish well in cold running water and drain. Put it in a stainless steel bowl and cover with boiling water. Let the jellyfish sit in the hot water for about 15 minutes or until it is tender. Drain and continue to soak at least 6 times in several changes of cold water. Drain thoroughly and blot dry with paper towels and set aside. Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl. Toss the jellyfish well in this sauce and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Just before serving, garnish with the sesame seeds. (Serves 4 as part of a Chinese meal or 2 as a single dish.)