International sim card?

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Since I've been going down to Mexico more and more, I'm in need of some form of a prepaid sim card. I think I asked on the old side, but lost the answers.

I bought one online that was supposed to work in 133 countries, but it didn't work in RP.

Does anyone know of one that WILL work that I can purchase online?

Kelney

Since my Verizon phone is worthless in RP, I hope to go to a Telcel store next time I am down and just pick up an inexpensive phone with some prepaid time on it. I believe that is what Ric has done and it works well.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
If you have AT&T, you can buy a 5 dollar international roaming upgrade at the phone store. Not sure if you can do it online. Terry C. knows more about that.

Jim

The phones at Telcel are expensive. I bought my Samsung flip phone on ebay for $30. As long as you buy a GSM Quad band unlocked phone, it will work with Telcel. Then you just buy the minutes you need. Minutes expire after 90 days, so just buy what you are going to use.

ernesto

Actually the phones at Telcel are quite cheap. A $50 phone will come with $10 in time on it. I have 3 of them and they work anywhere in Mexico. Buy the 500 peso card to get 900 pesos in bonus time. Really cheap to make local calls in PP. Costs about 50 cents a minute to call US,

S

Submarine

I've been using AT&T/Cingular for about 4 years now and it works from here to Mexico to Tahiti seamlessly. I don't pay any extra for International roaming though, just a per-minute rate.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Submarine said:
I've been using AT&T/Cingular for about 4 years now and it works from here to Mexico to Tahiti seamlessly. I don't pay any extra for International roaming though, just a per-minute rate.
I have ATT, but I have the iPhone, it would cost a lot in data charges, or else I'd use it.

Since I go to RP 1 or 2 a month from A&T for $5.99 a month I get MX service and a very cheap minute charge (29 cents) In fact in Soynota it comes through as the US so no roaming charge.

Scott

tyler,

I also have the iPhone and pay the extra $4.99 or whatever for the Mexico Coverage. If you turn all the data stuff off, you can still use the iPhone.

In fact, Angela and I just got off a cruise down to Puerto Vellarta. I was able to make/receive calls on the cruise ship all the way down, PLUS, I could even check email.

The coverate I receive on ATT is definately worth it.

Jim

I am not saying that Telcel does not have cheap phones. What I am saying is that for a camera flip phone that I paid $30 for, a similar phone at Telcel was around $200.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Scott said:
tyler,

I also have the iPhone and pay the extra $4.99 or whatever for the Mexico Coverage. If you turn all the data stuff off, you can still use the iPhone.

In fact, Angela and I just got off a cruise down to Puerto Vellarta. I was able to make/receive calls on the cruise ship all the way down, PLUS, I could even check email.

The coverate I receive on ATT is definately worth it.
Hm, what do you mean you just turn off the data stuff? You just stop checking email?

Jeff

I was told that the Movistar cell phones are much cheaper and cost much less to dial the US. The guy at the desk at the reef rv park said it costs $1 to call idaho for 20 minutes so I am assuming that would be to all of the US. ;)

From another website:

"So, now I take one of my unlocked GSM phones and buy a SIM in PVR. The SIM is about $9 and a handful of minutes is about 200 pesos ($18). There is a 100 peso card, but the per minute rates are too high. My next trip I'll go to Mazatlan, so I think I'll try Movistar (also GSM) instead of Telcel. They should be cheaper, but coverage is smaller, but that shouldn't be a problem."

Sixty

I've used my At&t razor all over Mexico and got great service. $5 international roaming fee & $.50 a min. for local calls or to the US. the only dificult part is learning how to make local calls. In some areas you dial it like a local phone but other areas you have to dial it like long distance mexico call and yet other areas you dial it like an international call. It can be apain when making long drives in mexico and you are trying to call other mexican cell phones that are travelling at the same time.

I would like to use my wife's Iphone, but the data charges are big. How dificult is it to turn off the data service for the iphone? I never really looked into it, but it would be nice to use the local hotspots for internet access.

Scott

tyler/sixty --

After receiving a $300 bill last Oct, I quickly learned to shut off all data items on the iPhone when in Mexico.

First, go to Settings --> General --> Network and turn data roaming off. Then, go to your email settings and set it up so you have to manually check your email.

This will turn your iphone into just a regular phone and you won't incur and data charges.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Scott said:
tyler/sixty --

After receiving a $300 bill last Oct, I quickly learned to shut off all data items when in Mexico.

First, go to Settings --> General --> Network and turn data roaming off. Then, go to your email settings and set it up so you have to manually check your email.

This will turn you phone into just a regular phone and you won't incur and data charges.
Sweet, I'll do that. The $5 roaming, do I need to call them and set that up, or does it automatically get added?

Sixty

thanks for the info. customer service warned us not to use it, so we stuck with my razor.

you have to call customer service for the international roaming.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
For the iPhone owners, make sure you get the latest version of the iPhone software, much better =D

I have used my AT&T Blackberry all over Mexico, Europe and Asia. But you better get the International Data plan if you plan on using the internet or email. The plan cost $65 for unlimited international data.

W

working to retire

That explains my bill (after a trip to PP)
I have a question on turning off the data roaming. Would putting your iphone on Airplane Mode (Settings > Airplane Mode) accomplish the same thing?

Thanks

working to retire said:
That explains my bill (after a trip to PP)
I have a question on turning off the data roaming. Would putting your iphone on Airplane Mode (Settings > Airplane Mode) accomplish the same thing?

Thanks
Putting it in airplane mode shuts off all communications, txt, email, phone.

If you just want to shut off your data while in Mexico, you should be able to go to your data or network settings and turn off data.