Internet in Las Conchas

ernesto

Well Known Member
I'm really fed up with the bad service from Telmex. Sometimes I have business and they are really unreliable as of late. I have made two appointments in the last 2 weeks for service, drove to their office and they readily admit your chances are slim of seeing a technician. Anyone got a success story? I know for a fact the resorts on Sandy Beach are struggling with bandwidth as well.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Sounds like Mexico to me.....................

Ah, the ambience of the turd world! I just love the smell of poop in the morning! Es so romantico............

JJ

mark miller

Somewhat off topic but since I have been in strong pursuit of internet service with no wires just using my cell phone and tethering to my laptop and then (if needed) cable to big screen I have some results. It was suggested by a post here that T mobile was the best so I got a plan for the wife and I. It covers Canada, America and Mexico. Yeah, it does but in 3 months they will shut you down and call you an abuser if you make most of your calls and internet tethering from Mexico! Real fine print here. I am going back to store to cancel service and see if I can go straight to SIM Chip purchase. Chip for a little USA use, more loaded chip for Mexico internet use. ALSO, T mobile fine print again, if you are tethered to your laptop it is throttled to 512k making watching a movie once a week impossible. Yes, you can step up to some other program with a 10 GB limit and higher speed but the economics push you to the store to just get a cheaper 2 gig chip or refill by net. Bottom line, having fought Century Link for two hours just to terminate my hardwire DSL service up in USA I know that trying to get good speed out of old telephone wire is just chasing the last dinosaur! Cell towers is the future. If someone can figure out how to set video up so it is not so high resolution (big data use) is the ticket. We don't need to see nose hair quality images all the time even though advertisers must have brilliant commercial impact to get us to buy, buy, buy. I am 8 days from moving to RP for ever. I tire of the money grubbing fame seeking me, me north! See you on the beach. Not Sandy beach, I don't have to have my sand bleached and scented everyday and protected from mere sapiens like myself. I am a couple miles down. Yeah, that's me with the old Dell and cell phone and cheap scooter next to my wife asking me what is tethering? Is it a sex thing......

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Humm, I have T-Mobile (6GB per line with data stash), the last 2 times down this month, I was able to watch Dish anywhere from my laptop
to my 42 inch TV via a HDMI cable and was getting 700k-1300K pretty steadily using my phone as a wi-fi hot spot. (looked like 720P resolution to me)
There are times when a lot of people are down that it will become really slow and a no go for streaming.

I don't know about the 3 month rule phone use for use in other countries.

When I plan on being down in Mexico for long stays I will just get a Telcel Sim card to put in my 2nd Sim slot for phone service and not worry about it
and get whatever Internet service is available.

For Internet options, you are pretty much limited since RP is, 10-20 years behind the USA for Cable TV/Internet type services.
So you options are currently
Tel-Mex - OK to slow. Supposed to be 1.5mbs (gets really slow during busy periods)
Dish TV Internet can be expensive
There's another Internet provider using a dish,

Thread link- https://www.rockypointtalk.com/threads/satellite-internet-access.9718/

IZZI was rumored to be coming to RP 18 months ago (cheap TV and 10 mbs internet service for $30 per month) but I haven't heard anything lately).

I'm going to detach from the Internet and just enjoy what Mexico has to offer when I'm down for weeks at a time.
I look forward to not being connected all the time when I'm down.

JoseAz

Well Known Member
We work from las conchas as well and got fed up with lack of internet and inability to dial into conference calls, etc
We pulled the trigger on satellite internet and love it!
So happy with the switch

JoseAz

Well Known Member
Click on the link above, lots of info on Exede.......
its a bit of a work around by a distributor in san diego, an ammerican address...... similar to our Dish satellite TV program

I think we now spend $100/month but less the $45 for Telmex that never works....priceless

Bill W

Click on the link above, lots of info on Exede.......
its a bit of a work around by a distributor in san diego, an ammerican address...... similar to our Dish satellite TV program

I think we now spend $100/month but less the $45 for Telmex that never works....priceless
That for the 60gb limit? Thanks JoseAz!

Estero

Well Known Member
Hey Ernesto and Bill send me a PM or an email [email protected]. We are a dealer for the Satellite Internet now and also do the installs in Penasco. We have recently installed systems in Las Conchas. I have Mega Cable AND telmex at a rental house in town and my Satellite connection at my house on the beach is hands down better than both. 18 meg down and about 4-5 up. We are doing another install over the holiday weekend in Los Conchas.

Last edited:

El Tiburon

Well Known Member
Estero-what is the cost for the service? Also, is there a data limit? I work from the beach and send and receive docs. Family likes to stream Netflix etc. thx.

ernesto

Well Known Member
What will not work is a two year contract. If your service is no good or slows down (telmex) I will not pay for an additional 2 years. The reliability of a good product eliminates the need for a long term commitment.

Estero

Well Known Member
Estero-what is the cost for the service? Also, is there a data limit? I work from the beach and send and receive docs. Family likes to stream Netflix etc. thx.
Sharky there are 3 different plans that start at $49.00 a month up to $99.00 a month. Each plan does have a data limit with the highest data limit being 150 gigabytes a month but if you go over your limits you can buy more data at a very reasonable rate. I have the 150 gigabyte plan and have never gone over the limit and that is with a large number of users. My system has been online 24/7 powered via solar since 2012. We have done installs out in the Encanto area as well as Las Conchas and the Mirador and people have been very happy with the Internet service. You are more than welcome to try my network at anytime just send me an email so I can provide the password to get on the network.

Estero

Well Known Member
What will not work is a two year contract. If your service is no good or slows down (telmex) I will not pay for an additional 2 years. The reliability of a good product eliminates the need for a long term commitment.
You can cancel at anytime with a nominal fee based on how many months are left on the contract. If the service was no good I would have cancelled years ago as would the other people in Penasco that currently use the system.

mark miller

Humm, I have T-Mobile (6GB per line with data stash), the last 2 times down this month, I was able to watch Dish anywhere from my laptop
to my 42 inch TV via a HDMI cable and was getting 700k-1300K pretty steadily using my phone as a wi-fi hot spot. (looked like 720P resolution to me)
There are times when a lot of people are down that it will become really slow and a no go for streaming.

I don't know about the 3 month rule phone use for use in other countries.

When I plan on being down in Mexico for long stays I will just get a Telcel Sim card to put in my 2nd Sim slot for phone service and not worry about it
and get whatever Internet service is available.

For Internet options, you are pretty much limited since RP is, 10-20 years behind the USA for Cable TV/Internet type services.
So you options are currently
Tel-Mex - OK to slow. Supposed to be 1.5mbs (gets really slow during busy periods)
Dish TV Internet can be expensive
There's another Internet provider using a dish,

Thread link- https://www.rockypointtalk.com/threads/satellite-internet-access.9718/

IZZI was rumored to be coming to RP 18 months ago (cheap TV and 10 mbs internet service for $30 per month) but I haven't heard anything lately).

I'm going to detach from the Internet and just enjoy what Mexico has to offer when I'm down for weeks at a time.
I look forward to not being connected all the time when I'm down.

mark miller

T Mobile District Manager in U.S. indicates that so long as you use your cell for a couple days in the U.S. PER MONTH you will not be shut down because of being horribly abusive and making them pay for cell tower time down south beyond their profit margins. Your right, I need to wrap up this issue and a few more and then get back to real life. The wife just has to be able to watch TV so on the other hand I will collect a ton of DVD's for her to have on hand because I just can't take one more commercial about ED, Liberty Car Insurance or investment advice! There are fish to swim with just to the side of my rubber yacht unequipped with satellite dish. p.s., if, unfortunately, anyone you know is fighting cancer you can have them take a look at my website for a rather complex but winning battle plan to fight the crap at www.cancer-diet-exercise-supplements.org Those are hyphens in there. No sales pitch and nothing for sale. Watching TV is not in the plan.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
T Mobile District Manager in U.S. indicates that so long as you use your cell for a couple days in the U.S. PER MONTH you will not be shut down because of being horribly abusive and making them pay for cell tower time down south beyond their profit margins.

My sister-in-law lives in South Africa working for the US embassy, she comes home 3x per year and she uses her T-Mobile phone everyday in SA.
I'll text here to see if T-Mobile every threatened to shut her down for not being in the USA enough.

Belgianboy

You can cancel at anytime with a nominal fee based on how many months are left on the contract. If the service was no good I would have cancelled years ago as would the other people in Penasco that currently use the system.
What is the latency on the internet connection?

mark miller

I am glad to hear about no conflicts with T Mobil users. I started my contract in the U.S. and will use it 99.9% in RP and see what happens under serious Giga use like leaving it tethered all day in the house and I will be out on the beach. I am wondering (but not much) if it matters where you started your contract. I will upgrade then to the higher then 512k download and call it a day. Any knocks on my internet door and I will just go to sim chips and move on in life! Belgianboy, I you mean latency by like an internet speed test when I have a moment after the move this week and I am ready to test stuff other then old plumbing and broken outlets in RP house I will test it with my old Dell laptop and let you know. It has been slow this morning and has frozen five times just on this paragraph. I blame it on Trump Change and his comrades. Off to packing....Hey, anybody have a feeling on the amount of duty I might be paying on 100 boxes of wife's 20 year old fu fu memorabilia and clothes and a lot of old half broken tools at the border this weekend? Coming through Lukeville. Newest piece is a 3 year old air compressor. I am using Border Movers with one long trailer. THANKS TO ALL!

marybna

Well Known Member
A new twist. I had my dish stolen off the roof at Bella Sirena so no direct tv for my tenants. I bought it from Direct in Ajo and I am hoping they can trace it.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
A new twist. I had my dish stolen off the roof at Bella Sirena so no direct tv for my tenants. I bought it from Direct in Ajo and I am hoping they can trace it.
I wouldn't count on that, it's an antenna with a LNB module. You can buy another for $40-50 from Amazon, Craigslist. etc. I'm sure you could find one in RP.