Introducing....

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
The all New Puerto Peñasco Bober (not really). A must have for the Memorial Day shore Fisherman. The most innovative (not really) piece of fishing gear created in many years.
:shame:
Anyways......
Drag a jig, swim-bait or even BAIT under it and watch the fish pile up! :gofish"

Equipped with the Newest Technology available ( ummmmm...) and designed with Clip and Go (Patent Pending) connections the applications are limitless! :rofl:
Designed for High Visibility and Maneuverability this is the one piece your Tackle Box is missing!
:smiley:

In all seriousness. I had been thinking about making these for a while.
They are the mini bottles, drilled (7/64) under bolt spec as to allow the bolt (6/32) to "thread" its self in. Backed by a flat washer inside and outside an O ring Gasket, flat and lock washer tightened to seal with a hex nut. Followed by another flat washer , Large swivel, flat washer (to allow the swivel to...swivel ;)) and set to gap with a Nylock nut. It should be very reactive and visible using the Foam backed slips of glitter paper.
I am going to experiment Memorial day weekend with Jigs, bait etc. .
I will let you all know how they work out.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Cool idea! Reminds me of my brain fart to make a teaser for trolling out of old CDs. I meticulously drilled holes on each side of about six CDs, connect them all together with heavy mono and snap swivels, fixed a small weight to the end to keep them down in the water behind the boat.

Took it out to the pool and dragged it around to test it. Oh my! What a thing of beauty! The flash from the CDs threw everywhere in the water as the CDs caught the sun and turned in the water. This thing is going to draw in dorado and marlin from miles away!

Well, as we all know, theory and practical application are two different things. Get out about 10 miles and set up the trolling spread. Carefully lower the killer CD teaser into the water, let some line out, and tie it off to a cleat on the stern. Look at that thing flash!

For about two minutes, until the lead CD cracks in half and the rest of the chain sinks into the Sea of Cortez. Oh well. It WAS a good idea! The CDs just weren't strong enough to take the stress of a slow troll at 7 mph. Didn't deter me. Got out the number 2 model and removed 3 of the CDs from the chain. Less stress, right?

Wrong. #2 lasted about three minutes before the lead CD cracked and the chain broke. Damn cheap-ass AOL CDs! Hahaha!

Hope your bobber slays 'em!

Last edited:

AZRob

Well Known Member
hill

Have you tried putting a wood backer under the cap and gluing the cap to the bottle. No need for gasket and more flotation.

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
No sir. Inside has plastic seal I didn't glue so the caps could be used on larger bottles if needed.
Believe me I will be posting as soon as I have tried them out.
Good or bad lol.

AZRob

Well Known Member
It should work. With the glitter on the bottle and one like these below water. Should simulate a school of bait fish and should draw in larger fish and groups of game fish.canvas.png

AZRob

Well Known Member
Guys spear fishing use larger ones, they would throw it out then swim for it and ambush the fish going for the flasher.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
I've dragged all types of "flashers" behind my boat out there for hours on end. The only time I've ever seen anything attracted to them was ONE California Sea Lion. Frigate Birds and Boobies will look at them for a moment then fly off in disgust.

The only "artificial" trick that I use that sometimes really pays off is my cardboard box trick that I have explained several times here.

JJ

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Guys spear fishing use larger ones, they would throw it out then swim for it and ambush the fish going for the flasher.
There were guys trying to spear wahoo while I was down in Louisiana. They tie CDs to their wet suits. We hollered at 'em on the radio and asked what they were seeing down there. The answer was "Sharks. BIG sharks!" :shark:

I'll do my fishing from INSIDE the boat, thank-you.

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
There were guys trying to spear wahoo while I was down in Louisiana. They tie CDs to their wet suits. We hollered at 'em on the radio and asked what they were seeing down there. The answer was "Sharks. BIG sharks!" :shark:

I'll do my fishing from INSIDE the boat, thank-you.
Lol. I agree. To be honest, going out with Shawn was some nerve wracking shit. Not because of Shawn, I just don't like not seeing land. I love the water, I am a water sign....
But Shark are just like Lions and Tigers and Bears. I like to view deadly animals in their habitat..... on TV.
Although I do want to start snorkeling , so I can film. One step at a time. Lol
I am planning on drifting some of the swim baits and short drop loop style rigs. I have caught both ways but when fighting waves and wind it's exhausting work. I actually have very high hopes.
And it should work well in the waves. Many times I have seen large fish playing inside a wave backlit by the sun. It should help with hook ups as well considering the amount of resistance it should provide.
I had considered putting in some small bells like from a cat collar. And of course I need one that lights up hehe.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
There was a legend marlin fisherman in Cabo named Fred Archer. Not sure if he's still with us or not, but this guy designed some spreader bars and other serious billfishing tools that are still sought after today, as they work and are the absolute best.

Story has it he bet another captain in Cabo some ridiculous amount of money (sounds like me when I've been drinking) that he could catch a marlin with one of his flip-flops as bait with a hook in it. Next day, out the harbor they go and he proceeded to do just that. Caught a marlin on his flip flop.

Ahhhh, the legends!

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
Florida guys Kite fish all day long... same principle except with live bait... keep it up on top.
Yes. Unfortunately my bait net was torn to shreds a few trips ago and I have been to lazy to buy another one.
But if I catch some lil booger I had planned on tossing his ass out with 2 barrels on it. Maybe get a bigun'.

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
Well they work great!

However, the test was very short because some other people that came down with some friends of ours ended up being my responsibility.... A very nice older couple that was with them and their first time down, the wife loves to fish so I spent my time casting, baiting and rigging for others.

My 5 year old nephew and my 8 year old niece and then the owners son all wanted a turn as well. I literally got to fish for 5 minutes. I did catch 1 porgy, but my nephew caught his first 2 saltwater feeshes.

The funny thing is that the next morning the older couple and a couple friends went out on a ponga and caught a bunch of fish. And guess what I spent 5 hours doing? That's right, cooking an impromptu meal for 25 people.

I cooked the 3 whole fish on the grill with just olive oil, salt and pepper. They were great. And then I cooked at least 10 pounds of trigger 2 different ways. One way was marinated (Salt pepper, Soy and sugar) Then tempura fried with a Peach, Pineapple and lime sweet and sour sauce. And the other was grilled with olive oil, salt,pepper,garlic powder and a lite sprinkle of sugar. AMAZING.

I made a cucumber and tomato salad with an avocado vinaigrette, Spanish/risotto style rice and 2 baked potatoes and 2 steaks for our non fish eating friends. Oh and another couple that was first timing at the Palapa had brought some salmon so I cooked their Salmon and they joined the whole group under the Palapa on what turned out to be a fabulous dinner party.

And then I spent the rest of the fucking night cleaning it all up! :shrug:

So anyways, the bobbers acted exactly as I expected. And with the waves coming in the way they were, they acted in unison with the eb and flow of the tide. They stood out like a sore thumb, very easy to keep track of and not one drop of water got into them.

Last edited:

jerry

Well Known Member
Well they work great!

However, the test was very short because some other people that came down with some friends of ours ended up being my responsibility.... A very nice older couple that was with them and their first time down, the wife loves to fish so I spent my time casting, baiting and rigging for others.

My 5 year old nephew and my 8 year old niece and then the owners son all wanted a turn as well. I literally got to fish for 5 minutes. I did catch 1 porgy, but my nephew caught his first 2 saltwater feeshes.

The funny thing is that the next morning the older couple and a couple friends went out on a ponga and caught a bunch of fish. And guess what I spent 5 hours doing? That's right, cooking an impromptu meal for 25 people.

I cooked the 3 whole fish on the grill with just olive oil, salt and pepper. They were great. And then I cooked at least 10 pounds of trigger 2 different ways. One way was marinated (Salt pepper, Soy and sugar) Then tempura fried with a Peach, Pineapple and lime sweet and sour sauce. And the other was grilled with olive oil, salt,pepper,garlic powder and a lite sprinkle of sugar. AMAZING.

I made a cucumber and tomato salad with an avocado vinaigrette, Spanish/risotto style rice and 2 baked potatoes and 2 steaks for our non fish eating friends. Oh and another couple that was first timing at the Palapa had brought some salmon so I cooked their Salmon and they joined the whole group under the Palapa on what turned out to be a fabulous dinner party.

And then I spent the rest of the fucking night cleaning it all up! :shrug:

So anyways, the bobbers acted exactly as I expected. And with the waves coming in the way they were, they acted in unison with the eb and flow of the tide. They stood out like a sore thumb, very easy to keep track of and not one drop of water got into them.
Without pictures the feast didn't happen! Question...two years ago yesterday these shore fishing photos were taken...are you catching corvina now?

Attachments

Last edited:

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
Not this time. I am trying to think when I caught the last ones in front of Manny's was... I want to say mid April. Like 2 years ago.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
I think the red tide has made a difference in the sea life this year. I haven't seen anywhere near the number of pelicans.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Now that you mention it I noticed the same thing. Not nearly as many pelicans as well as the other usual birds this winter and spring. Disappointing because I enjoy sitting on the beach and watching and listening to them.