Is it safe to drive?

mikef

Some friends of mine want us to go down to Rocky Point in Mexcio. We will drive thru Arizona and across the border and to Rocky Point for a weekend..... I wont drive thru Tiajuana anymore to get to Ensanada. I dont feel it is safe. How is it over there driving across the border? I hear it is safer.... It will be me, my wife and our 4 boys..... And I drive a Yukon XL Denali... Kind of draws attention. Will it be safe?

Roberto

http://www.rockypointtalk.com/showthread.php?4822-Is-it-still-Advisable-to-go-Rocky-Point-Mexico-for-vacation&highlight=rocky+point+safe

This topic is covered regularly here. The link above is one of the recent discussions. Just use the usual cautions you use when traveling. Statistically I am confident that it is as safe as driving and staying in Arizona. Those of us who live here see it every day and I don't know of anyone being subjected to violence. Lots of kids and families on the beaches.

R

reportjones

No, it is not safe to drive anywhere or anytime. Driving is dangerous. You could have a tire explode and get into a horrific crash. You could accidentally close the hood on your head while checking the oil. You could have the gas pedal stick and go on a wild ride. There are all kinds of bad things that could happen when you drive. Do what I do; "Just say no to driving."

We had no trouble driving either and have friends coming down as i write. If you are nervous drive in a caravan from the border with other cars.

I am a female and drive to Penasco alone monthly for 12 years. I know several other women who drive alone and drive Cadillac Suv and Mercedes . Never a problem.
There are several carjackings in Tucson and Phoenix daily, you never get wind of it unless a child was in the car or a murder took place. In Tucson, you can count on a few murders a week, it is almost a daily routine. ( I never know any of these people)

Rhino

Absolutely safe! I go down on average once per month and have for many years. I drive either my lifted F150 or Escalade; no problems ever. Enjoy yourselves!

As far as the actual drive goes, I've been going down regularly at all times of day and night for almost 25 years and never had an issue, outside of a cow or horse crossing at night, though I've seen more of those on the US side. (Sells in particular.) This even includes an 11pm flat tire change on the side of the road heading towards the border on the Mexico side in the middle of nowhere. (Lesson learned, won't be heading back that late again!) The road leading to Penasco on the Mexican side is wider and usually better maintained than on the US side.

As for your vehicle's safety, just use common sense as you would in any public place, but it's not uncommon on any given weekend to see dozens of Hummers and tricked-out H2s, Mercedes SUVs, etc. If anything, thieves down there are more likely to steal a late-model Ford, Chevy or Toyota truck for parts than a flashy new vehicle that could easily be spotted heading out of town.

AND, the nationally-sponsored Green Angels repair service actually DOES go back and forth on the Mexican side with the intent on helping any stranded autos for free. AND ANNND, while you're at it, the best local insurance service with English-speaking assistance 24-7 can be purchased cheap and easy online at http://www.proalliance.com.mx/

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I was a single woman until 8 months ago and I drove to Rocky Point regularly alone for 35 years. I don't drive at night any more but I always feel safe driving down. Just do what you do at home and have a gas kill switch in your Denali. I have one in my Jeep.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Just curious-did anyone take up Dry Heave's offer to meet him in person at his gym?
no. I thought it was a great opportunity for a fellow member to enjoy a fun filled workout while getting out any frustration they may have. I was willing to meet in scottsdale or tucson (since I am Tucson a day or 2 each month). in any case I love you all and wish everyone safe travelers on their drive to penasco.

jerry

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23113/mma-fighter-sergio-salcido-killed-friend-says-mma-industry-partially-to-blame.mma
from Jet Li
"i believes that Wushu is not primarily for self-defense and instead of trying to play the hero people should think about peaceful resolutions of conflicts and call the police if necessary: "A gun outdoes years of martial arts training in a split second. Like I've said many times before, it is important to differentiate between movies and reality. The hero in movies may be able to knock the gun off his opponent and save the day, but in real life – probably that is not the case."[39] He has also stated that he has never had to use his martial arts skills in a real life fight and he does not wish to, either."

azfish

Some friends of mine want us to go down to Rocky Point in Mexcio. We will drive thru Arizona and across the border and to Rocky Point for a weekend..... I wont drive thru Tiajuana anymore to get to Ensanada. I dont feel it is safe. How is it over there driving across the border? I hear it is safer.... It will be me, my wife and our 4 boys..... And I drive a Yukon XL Denali... Kind of draws attention. Will it be safe?

I have a Yukon too, it seams the police kind of stay out off my way when Im down, maybe because they cant see in the windows. Or the fake arm hanging out of the back.:rofl:

R

reportjones

This is a classy response from Dry Heat. I like that. I like Dry Heat!

no. I thought it was a great opportunity for a fellow member to enjoy a fun filled workout while getting out any frustration they may have. I was willing to meet in scottsdale or tucson (since I am Tucson a day or 2 each month). in any case I love you all and wish everyone safe travelers on their drive to penasco.

R

reportjones

Dry Heat. I am not trying to defile Steve but I heard something maybe you can comment on. I heard he had two close friends working for him. They both owned pigeon coops on sandy beach. I heard they all had a falling out and the guy who handled Seasides books turned on Steve. Is this true? Is it going to affect our rentals?

Go thru Tecate to get to Ensenada. They have just about finished widening the road so its a real easy drive.

mikef

Thanks guys and gals.... I fell better now. I had a bad experience about 3 or 4 years ago driving thru TJ and my way to Ensanada. It was with the cops. They really scared me. I havent driven down since. We fly to Cancun but I dont drive to Ensanada anymore.

I am not worried about the safety of my vehicle just me and my family. I think we will give this a try.