Is There a Jellyfish Season?

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Just curious. We have been to Rocky Point many times over the many years, but so far have never had an encounters. :eek:

I was down for twenty days in July and August and only saw a couple Portuguese man-of-war on the beach. I didn't see any in the water and I was in the water every day. I looked on the beach every time before I went swimming. This was on the Mirador. It was like the summer of no jellyfish...

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
My (now) ex-wife got stung in RP when we were in the water several years back. Interesting experience to say the least!

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
I was down for twenty days in July and August and only saw a couple Portuguese man-of-war on the beach. I didn't see any in the water and I was in the water every day. I looked on the beach every time before I went swimming. This was on the Mirador. It was like the summer of no jellyfish...
WOW :eek:!!!!

We have never been brave enough to go in July and August because of the weather. Now we have another reason to stay away.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
My (now) ex-wife got stung in RP when we were in the water several years back. Interesting experience to say the least!

Did you have to pee on her ;)!
I have heard of people stepping on sting rays, but not jellyfish. However, I assumed that it has actually happened. Was it in the summer?

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Did you have to pee on her ;)!
I have heard of people stepping on sting rays, but not jellyfish. However, I assumed that it has actually happened. Was it in the summer?
Yeah, October I believe. I didn't pee on her, but the hotel maintenance staff sprayed windex on her. Apparently that does the same thing.... :confused:

I think that's why our marriage didn't work out.... or atleast that's the story I told myself.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
YIKES October . . . my favorite time to go.
Windex is the same as urine - Interesting? Maybe it is the Windex in Mexico - LOL!

Kelney

I believe ammonia is the key ingredient. It appears to me that they have not been nearly as bad the past few years as they had been 4-6 years previous. In years past I always had an eye out for them June-August but anymore they are an after thought for the most part.

There always seems to be really small ones less than 1/4 inch near the beaches by Laguna Shores May-Oct.
More of tingling sensation with many small red spots on your skin. I stopped going there because of that and the water is only in for a short time
because of how shallow the drop off is over there.

mis2810

Been in the water on Sandy Beach in May, June, July, August, September and October the last few years and haven't seen 1 jellyfish. San Carlos - now that's another story. Lots of jellyfish in July/August.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Thanks for all the info.

My biggest concern was my big doggie as she loves to play with "creatures from the sea!" To date, the worst encounter she has had is a stand off with a big old crab at Cholla Bay. She eventually lost when the crab pinched her on the nose - or perhaps the crab did since it lost its arm. Of course a few seconds after I pulled the arm off her face she went back for more - Hilarious!

mondone

Whitecaps
Oh no, the urine myth is making a re-appearance. I posted this previously on the forum, maybe it's time for refresher:

As a person who has had considerable training and internship in Poison Control Centers, I can tell you that there are no conclusive research studies that have proved that urine or ammonia has any value whatsoever in relieving jellyfish stings. If fact, depending on the urine, it can actually make it worse. Urine contains so much fresh water, it will actually make any remaining nematocysts ( which contain the toxin that causes the discomfort) to fire, releasing more toxin. That's why we recommend using seawater only to rinse the area. Vinegar is 5% acetic acid,(CH3COOH) which has shown to neutralize unfired nematocysts so that they cannot further inject venom. Now, keep in mind, this is true for jellyfish stings, not the Portuguese Man-O-War, a jellyfish look-a-like, but different creature. Some of our studies have shown vinegar to cause their nematocysts to release venom. That is why I recommend the baking soda/seawater paste instead. There is a product you may want to want to have with you called Jellyfish Squish spray. I keep a couple bottles in my casa just in case. It's good to use after the treatments above to help the pain and discomfort.

Roberto

I think the urine thing got started because a local wag got stung and said "Oh, piss on it, I'm going for a beer". This overheard by bystanders started the lore. I know it has also been spread around by the exhibitionists who hang around the beach waiting for an opportunity to wave their winky.

Kenny

I think the urine thing got started because a local wag got stung and said "Oh, piss on it, I'm going for a beer". This overheard by bystanders started the lore. I know it has also been spread around by the exhibitionists who hang around the beach waiting for an opportunity to wave their winky.
I guess it's a good thing he wasn't overheard saying, Oh Sh*t!

Kenny

That is why I recommend the baking soda/seawater paste instead
Baking soda is used often in our Chemistry labs at the College because it neutralize's most acids.
"As an acid neutralizer, baking soda has long been favored for its various first-aid applications. Dissolved into a lukewarm bath, it will soothe the discomfort of sunburn and the itch of poison ivy. Made into a paste with cool water and applied directly to the skin, it will ease the pain of bee stings. One-half teaspoon (2.3 g) mixed into 4 ounces (120 ml) of water can be taken as an antacid. Those taking prescription medications or following a reduced-sodium diet should check with a medical professional before consuming sodium bicarbonate".

Last edited: