Killer whales!

audsley

Well Known Member
Look what's turned up near Lobos. There were several of them.

I believe this picture (taken Jan. 4, I believe) and some others I've seen originated from Arturo, who operates Arturo's Diving and Fishing Tours. His Facebook page https://www.facebook...07771562777888/ has video showing the Orcas fairly close to shore. Until I saw these pictures I didn't even know Orcas ever came up as far as Lobos, but apparently others on this forum have seen them near Rocky Point in the past.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
My old and deceased dear friend Spotts Willis who fished out of Cholla for many years has stayed that he saw Orca’s on several occasions.

ernesto

Well Known Member
I saw a pod of about 20 fishing with Crazy Charlie 15 years or so ago off Cholla, maybe 30 miles out
. Anybody remember Crazy Charlie? Now that SOB was a fisherman.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I saw a pod of about 20 fishing with Crazy Charlie 15 years or so ago off Cholla, maybe 30 miles out
. Anybody remember Crazy Charlie? Now that SOB was a fisherman.
Indeed he was - Crazy Charlie.

I've encountered orcas out of Penasco and out of San Carlos on several occasions. The first time in Penasco, I was a little dumbfounded. Had no idea they'd come that far north. Apparently, they range the entire Cortez. The pods encountered off of Penasco were small family pods, maybe three or four max, with calves. Have seen some bigger pods in San Carlos.

Interesting fact about the orcas -- they are either mammal eaters or they are fish eaters. Depends on the pod they are born into. Some pods only eat sea lions, otters, even other whales. While other pods eat only fish, salmon and such. The fish eaters never eat mammals; they don't know that they are food because they were raised since birth to eat fish. Kind of weird, but makes perfect sense.

Kelney

Well Known Member
Hopefully this pod are mammal eaters. There really needs to be a thinning of the herd when it comes to the seals.

audsley

Well Known Member
North Atlantic, north Pacific, generally everywhere the water is cold. I've read that there are seals around Cabo, but I doubt this is accurate. The critters we see in the Sea of Cortez are sea lions. And by the way, a fisherman reported sea the Lobos orcas eating a sea lion, so apparently that's what this pod eats. I consider that good news since orcas are said to eat 500 lbs a day of whatever they're eating.