La Curva

S

Submarine

Best restaurant in Rocky Point period.
You can close this section now Tyler, no need to even bother with the other greasy spoons!

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Submarine said:
You can close this section now Tyler, no need to even bother with the other greasy spoons!
:shock: Where is it? What do they serve? Never heard of it.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Now Now, Sub. Variety is the spice of life. La Curva is good but Lolita's is better for greasy spoons. Asadero Sonora for taco stands and Portofinos for the view AND the food. It's a little nicer ambiance than La Curva or Lolitas. Tyler, I sent you a pm the other day. Let me know......

Friendly Dolphin for the food......Lighthouse or El Capitan for the view...Mary's for tacos, etc. (when they reopen).....BooBar for best shrimp cocktail (Mexican style)...

Let the arguments begin! :lol:

tortuga

Rosy's for breakfast. Best huevos rancheros and chorizo in town. Good hotcakes too if you want to go American.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Since Perico Marinero closed :( I have been searching for the best "garlic fish or shrimp" (filete o camarones al mojo del ajo) any suggestions?

tortuga

:D Try Balboa's on the back side of the harbour. Also Lolita's used to have good garlic shrimp but I haven't been there in a while.

S

Submarine

tyler said:
Submarine said:
:shock: Where is it? What do they serve? Never heard of it.
You know that overhead sidewalk on the main road as it intersects with Calle 13? The one with all the green signs on it. Turn east there and go 3 or 4 blocks till you intersect with a wide road that is heading north/south at an angle. Turn left there and La Curva is just one block up on the right. Big sign with a mermaid on an anchor or something.

Ignore these heathens! La Curva has it all! Spice, variety, history, family, and ambiance!
They serve Mexican food! Lol. Well gringo food too.
Their menu is very extensive, filled with tasty seafood dishes, steak, burritos, chimichangas,tamales, all the good stuff. I like the Fiesta Platter to share with one or two people if I want a little taste of everything. Seafood enchiladas are another favorite, or the garlic shrimp.

Prices are very wallet friendly.

But you must, must, must order and Especial #2 when you are there . Creamy milkshake like margarita with real strawberry's that will sneak right up on you and leave you silly drunk. Two of those drunk fast after the long drive from Gilbert and I'm feeling no pain...
(Order an individual drink, not a pitcher, for the best experience)

BUT remember, they are closed for the whole month of August every year.

One trip I went to La Curva every night for a week.

S

Submarine

Blasphemy! Blasphemy!

I will smite the evil from upon you!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Jumping on the La Curva bandwagon. Those in the know, know La Curva.

Everytime I see someone recommend the Friendly Dolphin, I just laugh. Worse meal and the worst service I've ever had in Penasco. Be my guest, go there if you like the place, but not for me. I'd eat at any of the tacos stands before I'd go back to Friendly Dolphin.

La Curva - place and faces (clickable links):

Uno

Dos

Tres

Quatro

Fin

I've heard really good things about Capones from both gringos and locals alike, however, I have yet to try it. Seems sacrilegious to me to eat pizza and wings while I'm in Mexico. We did try the new sports bar that's on the right as you head down to Las Conchas (name escapes me at the moment) and they had great gringo burgers and such, nice place, good prices, very good food.

Also - I'm still a huge Friday night Fish Fry fan of the Black Dog. Very hard to beat!

The new Hacienda was a beautiful place - great to go there for ambiance, but a bit overpriced and food okay, not great by any means.

Pink Cadillac still serves up a great breakfast for cheap.

I guess I'm just a creature of habit.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I won't eat at the Friendly Dolphin either. I got a 3 day long case of food poisoning there in the mid 80's. I laid on the bathroom floor and moaned for 3 days in between being sick. I will only eat ceviche now if I know who prepared it. I still shudder when I remember how sick I was. I remember wishing I was dead, that's how sick I was. :eek3:

Stuart.....To each his own on choice of restaurants! I will agree that La Curva is good...but I've always gotten good food at Friendly Dolphin. And usually, the drinks are good. I have had miserable service there a couple of times.....to the point that I almost walked out without paying (waited for over 20 minutes to get the check so that I could pay!). Another time the waiter let me and my daughter sit down in an area....then after about 15 minutes and no service, had to track down another waiter who told us that the area was not open for service! What the ?????????

I've been going to Rosy's since she opened. Lately, since she's expanded, the service has gone downhill, and so has the food.

Capones.....had the pizza there twice...once it was decent (not great), the next, it was terrible (and pricey). Barro's and even SamsClub(sorry Sub!) are much better.

Now food poisoning......got that from the Burger King at Gila Bend one late night driving down to RP.....had a "fun" night and the next day after I arrived.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
rockyptjoe said:
Now food poisoning......got that from the Burger King at Gila Bend one late night driving down to RP.....had a "fun" night and the next day after I arrived.
In all my trips to Mexico, I've only ever gotten it really bad once. Not sure where, but the chicken enchiladas the previous night were suspect, since I was the only one that had them for dinner. Hit me while we were out fishing the next morning. Yes, the dreaded "Mexican Quickstep." The kind where it just twists your bowels instantly and you better be on the toilet NOW! Sorry for the graphic visual, but if you've ever had this kind of attack, you know exactly what I mean. Just when you think you've done all there could possibly be to do, BLAM! Another attack! Good thing my boat has a bathroom. My old boat had a bucket named "Loo" and that was it. By the time we got back in that afternoon, I was seriously hurting. First stop was the farmacia for some Immodium pills. One mild attack that evening, and the next day was business as usual. I keep the Immodium in my travel bag at all times now. It works!

And yes, in my opinion, you're about as likely to catch it here as in Mexico.

mel150

'Cause I'm a newbie, can anyone tell me where a couple of these places are?

Black dog?

Rosy's?

Asadero Sonora- Ok, on Sonora, I get that :) but close to what?

Lolita's?

How about Ramon's? It's in our neighborhood, anyone eaten there?

wendell

We have eaten at Ramon's many times since it opened about 2 years ago. Never disappointed. And he has some speciality dishes that you will not find elsewhere.

We will be heading to RP on Monday and staying for three weeks.
Where is Ramon's located? We usually eat out 1/2 the time and need some new places.

Sunshine :sunny: