Labor Day - Fishing Charter

Looking to setup a fishing charter for a Bachelor party for Labor Day weekend. I discovered this company, http://www.rockypointfishingclub.com/deep-sea-fishing/, and they were quick to reply.

It seems like they're a collaboration of local charters.
They're asking $65 per person for a medium size boat. Going out 10-15 miles for 6 hours.

Is this a reputable company?
Are prices negotiable?
What should our group expect to catch this weekend?

Thank you in advance for your response!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I know the captain on the El Gran Jefe. He's a good guy, if you can get that boat. $65 each is a very good price, by the way.

Catch right now -- maybe a grouper or sardinero if bottom fishing. If trolling, some sierra and maybe small dorado around.

YumaJames

$65/person for 6 hours of fishing is an excellent price. That would barely cover my fuel costs. Gas prices at the pumps in RP are much higher than what we pay in AZ, and if you have to buy fuel at the harbor you'll pay pretty much double of AZ prices. And never mind the price of tackle, my leader set ups cost about $10 each, and if I get hooked on the bottom and lose braided line add about another $30. Throw in boat maintenance, launch or storage/dock fees, license fees, etc. Personally I'd gladly pay $65 and provide a good tip.

Dirty Sanchez, in my opinion its gonna all come down to weather. Most of the time its pretty windy in RP and if you catch good weather you're gonna have a great time, if its windy and rough it ain't fun and its diffiuclt to fish. Hopefully you'll catch good weather that weekend.

Last edited:

MIRAMAR

We love the brothers of El Gran Jefe and El Gran Patron. They have always charged us $35.00 for whale watching/fishing. We went out 15 miles for what seemed like 6 hours. There were 10 people.

I'll be sure to ask for El Gran Jefe or El Gran Patron.

It appears that wind speeds will reach 18MPH on Saturday, so hopefully that won't deter things.

Thanks for the feedback. We're looking forward to our trip.

We were on the About Time and the captain was talking about a boat/fishing club he belonged to so I do know it's a legitimate club and he was a great guy, great fishing trip and everyone is correct about your quote being very reasonable, especially for a holiday weekend, the guys for our wedding's party are going out with him again in October and it is going to be $75 I believe per person for a half day of fishing. Have fun and stay safe

YumaJames

We love the brothers of El Gran Jefe and El Gran Patron. They have always charged us $35.00 for whale watching/fishing. We went out 15 miles for what seemed like 6 hours. There were 10 people.
That's awesome Miramar. It just blows me away they can take people out for around 6 hours at $35/person. For 10 people they make $350, about half goes for fuel, throw in all the extra expenses, doesn't leave much room for profit. Oh well, they're glad to make a couple bucks and people get to see whales. All works out in the end.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I'll be sure to ask for El Gran Jefe or El Gran Patron.

It appears that wind speeds will reach 18MPH on Saturday, so hopefully that won't deter things.

Thanks for the feedback. We're looking forward to our trip.

18mph = NO CHANCE IN HELL that boat is leaving the harbor.

http://www.rockypointfishingclub.com was great! We originally wanted to go out Saturday, but the waters were off limits due to high winds, so we booked for Sunday instead. The co-op was friendly, and accommodating. Our group booked the El Gran Jefe with Pepe, and he was very informative.

We caught trigger fish, rock bass, and even a barracuda. They were great for the fish tacos we made that night :)

YumaJames

http://www.rockypointfishingclub.com was great! We originally wanted to go out Saturday, but the waters were off limits due to high winds, so we booked for Sunday instead. The co-op was friendly, and accommodating. Our group booked the El Gran Jefe with Pepe, and he was very informative.

We caught trigger fish, rock bass, and even a barracuda. They were great for the fish tacos we made that night :)
Thanks for the feedback, glad you got out. Those triggers are fun to reel in. Hope you guys had a great time!