Las Palmas

apricot

It looks terrible, does not go with the environment AT ALL. Although, I guess maybe I could understand why they might do something like that. I think Las Palmas has a bit of an identity problem for two reasons: 1) People get it confused with Las Palomas, and 2) It's not readily noticeable from the main road (Paseo de la Luna) and when you take the side road to get to it (the one with the Hut/Banditos on it), you really only notice the Spa and the Sea. Las Palmas is tucked off to the left and I think most people don't notice it unless they're familiar with the area. We have visited every resort on Sandy Beach except Las Palmas, we just never think of it. I checked it online today and it looks like a really nice resort.

Las Palmas is very nice. I have stayed there twice now.
It is a bit tucked away, but that's ok cuz it cuts down on the traffic.
Nice beach access.

fasteddy

I also looked at it the last time I was down and was pleasantly surprised by how nice it is. Awesome pool slide and pool area, very nice sitting area
around the pool great bar upstairs that was being bartended by Ricardo the lead guitar player from one of my favorite bands down there RiBand.
Overall I don't think you could go wrong renting or owning at this property.

Ed

mondone

Whitecaps
Its my favorite condo if that's what you like. Stayed there once or twice.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mis2810

Good to hear all the nice comments about Las Palmas. Yes, we are kind of tucked away just next to Sonoran Sea which is why they put up the sign, along with the confusion with Las Palomas. It's a very nice resort and that's why we bought here. In the past we'd stayed at all the Sonorans and at Las Palomas and apart from being way more expensive, they all felt like hotels to us. Las Palmas feels like home. I have a much better view than a lot of units at Las Palomas for a lot less money. The HOA fees at Las Palmas are also a fraction of what Las Palomas and the Sonorans charge. Our HOA is extremely well run and they are always finding ways to upgrade our amenities to make us more attractive to renters and keep the owners happy at the same time.

Our HOA is extremely well run and they are always finding ways to upgrade our amenities to make us more attractive to renters and keep the owners happy at the same time.
With the exception of the giant neon sign. ;)
Do you pay a little more HOA because of it?

fasteddy

Weird thing is when my wife and I first saw the sign we didn't mind it. Then, after hearing how much people disliked it i started to feel the same... go figure.

mis2810

Weird thing is when my wife and I first saw the sign we didn't mind it. Then, after hearing how much people disliked it i started to feel the same... go figure.
If it just stayed white light and not change colors, I would like it more. I'd also rather be known for resort with the lights than the resort where the helicopters shot down Macho Prieto. There's a corrido about what happened that morning:

Last edited:

apricot

The HOA fees at Las Palmas are also a fraction of what Las Palomas and the Sonorans charge. Our HOA is extremely well run and they are always finding ways to upgrade our amenities to make us more attractive to renters and keep the owners happy at the same time.
There's a lot to be said about your HOA fees being low compared to the other resorts and that it is well run. I remember you saying in another thread that that was one of the reasons you bought there. I think the HOA fees are getting way out of hand at most of the resorts. We are going to check out Las Palmas next time we're down there. What are the HOA fees there for a 2 bedroom?

mis2810

There's a lot to be said about your HOA fees being low compared to the other resorts and that it is well run. I remember you saying in another thread that that was one of the reasons you bought there. I think the HOA fees are getting way out of hand at most of the resorts. We are going to check out Las Palmas next time we're down there. What are the HOA fees there for a 2 bedroom?
$198/month for a 2 bedroom. Paid quarterly.

mis2810

With her reputation threats are no longer necessary.
Just who do you really think runs the plaza in Sonoyta???? LOL

Apricot - not sure exactly how they do it. I've only been an owner for 6 months, but from everything I've heard even prior to owning, the fees have never been raised and they have not asked the owners for any capital either. Our HOA Manager is great and is always looking for ways to do things better and/or less expensive. From what I gather they keep their costs as low as possible and the resort is completely FULL a lot of the time which generates lots of impact fees for the HOA. Besides the lazy river at Las Palomas, we're the only resort that has amenities for children. We now have 3 water slides (one pretty high, one medium, and one in the kiddie pool) which is a huge attraction for renting families. We don't have resort Nazis telling people they can't bring their coolers to the pool like at Las Palomas, either . I always find the grounds very clean, and mostly everything well-maintained. We also have easy access to the beach - no steps to go down like at the Sonorans. Which makes it easier for families with beach carts to bring all their toys, tents, etc. We just recently got new TV with 100+ channels (Spanish and English) and new internet that works great.

Roberto

Just who do you really think runs the plaza in Sonoyta???? LOL

Apricot - not sure exactly how they do it. I've only been an owner for 6 months, but from everything I've heard even prior to owning, the fees have never been raised and they have not asked the owners for any capital either. Our HOA Manager is great and is always looking for ways to do things better and/or less expensive. From what I gather they keep their costs as low as possible and the resort is completely FULL a lot of the time which generates lots of impact fees for the HOA. Besides the lazy river at Las Palomas, we're the only resort that has amenities for children. We now have 3 water slides (one pretty high, one medium, and one in the kiddie pool) which is a huge attraction for renting families. We don't have resort Nazis telling people they can't bring their coolers to the pool like at Las Palomas, either . I always find the grounds very clean, and mostly everything well-maintained. We also have easy access to the beach - no steps to go down like at the Sonorans. Which makes it easier for families with beach carts to bring all their toys, tents, etc. We just recently got new TV with 100+ channels (Spanish and English) and new internet that works great.
Fanferrona

apricot

they have not asked the owners for any capital either.
I had wondered if maybe they had charged special assessments but I guess that is not the case. The rest of the resorts should use Las Palmas as an example of how to keep costs down. Does Las Palmas have its own rental company? What is the breakdown of the rental amount between the owner and the rental company? Is the HOA only getting money on the rentals from the impact fees or do they also get a percentage of the rental rate? I'm assuming the rental company gets the booking fee, is that right?