lets go fishing

I'm wondering if the tides this week are better to fish up until the 31st. Or start fishing Feb.1-6, or wait until Feb. 15-20. Alot of different tides in the next few weeks. Or is the 8-14 better.

don

You did not mention whether you were shore fishing, launching from the shore, or heading out in a boat.

If I was shore fishing, I've had better success on the rising tide, esp. in estuaries. So, if I was targeting estuaries, I'd plan on hitting both high tides times if possible. However, if I was just fishing from the shore, we need high tides to increase the water depth. And, with that, we would plan our trips to have high tides after sunset. Less folks playing in the water = more fish. But, that meant we would be up late, sometimes until the early morning hours fishing/filleting fish. And we would not be bothered by all the non fisherfolks..

Now, if I was beach launching, I'd pay attention to the best time to launch/recover my boat. No fun traveling hundreds of yards across 2 inches of water to launch/recover my boat, let alone dealing with rising tide whereas you have now 8 inches of water for several hundred yards travel across. And, I've learned (the hard way) I'll never anchor my boat offshore for a night. I'll always retrieve it, no matter how good the weather prediction is. That said, if I'm fishing close to shore I'll troll and I can't really say the tides have had much effect on my success.

If I were heading out in an offshore boat, it seems the fellas watch the tides so they can plan their trip with enough time to make bait, and then head out to a reef and try to fish the reef just as the tide is just about to peak, and fish through the peak... I'm still learning this technique.

Hopefully some of the other shore fishers can add their input, because they'll have different suggestions, along with the other offshore fellas. :boat:

Hope this helps,
don