lobos yellow tail

Red Drum

That is a nice chunky Yellowtail Leigh...that must have been fun pulling in that tough fighting Jack. Way to go!

cin

User is currently banned
Ha, if you hooked one from shore you sure as hell better be able to run on water.:p
Ha, with the rite gear, same as in a boat, it would be much easier off the shore. I've done it many times off of San Quintin shores, past Ensenada Mexico,

jerry

Ha, with the rite gear, same as in a boat, it would be much easier off the shore. I've done it many times off of San Quintin shores, past Ensenada Mexico,
Cin the Lobos guys get Roostertails off the beach North of the Lighthouse

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Do they taste like chicken????? :puff:
Now that was terribly bad, Jack... ugh! :rofl:

Truth be known, I've fished that location with Ted and the rooster fishing is a total blast. They'll charge a lure just like a marlin; it's incredible to watch. And this is a species I've always released, mostly because it's a member of the jack family and the meat is supposedly very dark and not that good to eat. HOWEVER, in recent talks with a few folks, I've been told that's just nonsense, that prepared correctly, roosterfish is excellent table fare and comparable to a fine cut of filet mignon. Who knew? Maybe, just maybe, one will make it to the grill for a taste test in the future.

cin

User is currently banned

Truth be known, I've fished that location with Ted and the rooster fishing is a total blast. They'll charge a lure just like a marlin; it's incredible to watch. And this is a species I've always released, mostly because it's a member of the jack family and the meat is supposedly very dark and not that good to eat. HOWEVER, in recent talks with a few folks, I've been told that's just nonsense, that prepared correctly, roosterfish is excellent table fare and comparable to a fine cut of filet mignon. Who knew? Maybe, just maybe, one will make it to the grill for a taste test in the future.
Don't know about "mignon" but I've heard the same thing "prepared correctly" from my mexican friends in PP is the key, as with the black sea bass, is gooooooood eating,

Kelney

Make sure you post a pic to piss off the liberal!

jerry

Don't know about "mignon" but I've heard the same thing "prepared correctly" from my mexican friends in PP is the key, as with the black sea bass, is gooooooood eating,
As kids we used to sell Suckers we would catch on Trebble Hooks from The Elkhart River in Northern Indiana. This river was known to catch on fire and be covered with a chemical glaze. Never the less,we would take these giant fish to the pool hall and guys that looked like Sonny Liston would pay us for them and swear they were the best smoking fish in the area.They were the worst fish ever in my 9 year old opinion...until I tasted a Rooster-tail.... tasts worse than suckers from the Elkhart river.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
As kids we used to sell Suckers we would catch on Trebble Hooks from The Elkhart River in Northern Indiana. This river was known to catch on fire and be covered with a chemical glaze. Never the less,we would take these giant fish to the pool hall and guys that looked like Sonny Liston would pay us for them and swear they were the best smoking fish in the area.They were the worst fish ever in my 9 year old opinion...until I tasted a Rooster-tail.... tasts worse than suckers from the Elkhart river.
We used to gig suckers as kids in the clear, cold water streams of PA. Nice white meat, but bony as all get out. Suckers actually remind me a lot of bonefish, now that I think about. There were lots of folks that were glad to get 'em. Go figure.