Local place to buy Beach Umbrellas

We usually bargain with the locals in front of Gaviotas and rent a palapa when we are there for only a few days.
But we will be there for longer this time and I was wondering if there is somewhere local to buy the really good
large beach umbrella that you can anchor into the sand. I cannot find them here in AZ....

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
We usually bargain with the locals in front of Gaviotas and rent a palapa when we are there for only a few days.
But we will be there for longer this time and I was wondering if there is somewhere local to buy the really good
large beach umbrella that you can anchor into the sand. I cannot find them here in AZ....
There is a store across the street from Super Ley and I have seen umbrellas there but not sure if they are the large ones you speak of.

Terry C

Take a 2 foot square piece of plywood. Buy a toilet flange and screw it to the plywood upside down so to say and get a short piece of pvc pipe the same size of the flange and glue it in the flange. Bury the plywood in the sand and put the pole in it. Done.

Local as in Phx or Tucson? In Penasco you can pick up cheap umbrellas at the Pharmacia 2000 (or 3000?), Super Ley, the Walmart/Bodega, etc. These are usually under $10, though most places have a couple of different qualities offered. The bad thing about the very thin ones is the shade they provide is limited and barely protect you against any UV rays. If you are stuck with these, we always just throw a wet towel on top of each so as to get a bit more shade. Of course, depending on where the sun is and the angle the umbrella is set at, this is going to either make it extremely stable or something you're constantly tweaking...

In the states, they have a few different kinds at Target ($30ish) that seem to work fine, fabric protects pretty well, plus they have the additional cork-screw-looking white plastic device that will REALLY anchor them well in the sand. The garden dept. in Target has even stronger ones. If THAT doesn't work, I remember seeing a few offered a while back at Ace Hardware, but the problem with all these options in the US is that, for the most part, beach umbrellas are a seasonal item, and a lot of the times these chains will only have a short window of time in which they are available.

Sams Club or CostCo???? They always carry a couple different beach umbrellas..... Not sure what type you mean by the type that you can "anchor in the sand".....you can always get a 5 gallon pail, fill with sand, and tie the pole of the umbrella to the handle

Wouldn't an ezy-up work better? You can anchor all 4 corners.

EZ UP is your best bet. You can buy Chinese copies for $50 at Walmart, Big 5 etc. Use 5 gallon buckets...put the legs in the bucket and fill the bucket with sand for anchors.

THANKS for the replies! I will probably look at the farmacia or across from Super Ley...yes, I did mean locally in PP.
We're leaving tomorrow morning so I don't have time to rig the pvc pipe and plywood, which would probably be my best option.

The new Walmart, which is called Bodega in Mexico, has a green sign, it will be on the left as you are first approaching the outskirts of town, but past the RV parks. I would stop there first if you can.

jerry

Terry's model is the only one with a chance of lasting in RP on a windy Day..I once chased my Eureka SunShade for 2 miles where it ended up in a cactus forrest

FOUND THEM...After looking at Aurrera Bodega, Super Ley and several other places I practiced my spanish on a policeman at the old port and he directed me to
a local tienda called "Numeros" (odd name to me). They have a little 0f everything and LARGE beach umbrellas with the reflective lining for $20! I don't think they'd hold
up for a long time but they worked fine for a nine day trip. We brought with us one of those screws that you use to anchor them in the sand since I didn't have time to build
the other thing suggested above. The wind was whipping pretty strong, but it held secure and as all of you know....it was a taste of heaven. Thanks for all the comments/