Lots of pangas a few miles out south of Penasco

JayT

Does anyone know what the big catch is for all the panga fisherman? I've never seen so many pangas clustered together in all the years in Rocky Point. We counted just under 200 pangas out on the horizon on Tuesday. I couldn't believe my eyes at first when looking through the binoculars. Anyone know?

brokenwave

Well Known Member
They are probably harvesting shrimp like they did last year. My local buddy was camping at La Casa de la Playa, (north of Black Mtn)
this time last year, he had a few pangas come to ashore to sell him colossal shrimp, 4 to a pound.
He bought some and said many of the shrimp they cleaned were pregnant females.

Last year the local mafia guys told the local panga fisherman they would buy everything they brought in, it's might be
the same deal this year??
Last year all of the shrimp heads and stuff were dumped along the rail tracks near Samuel Ocana, which led to
the huge fly population surge we had last April-Sept.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
The Black Death Flies were horrible at Jessies last Sunday.

I told him and his sea food cleaner buds to just open their mouths and catch a few dozen every few minutes or so. I mentioned that maybe the turistas were pooping en la playa as a possible source. He said that the pangueros were hauling in a bumper crop of hairy deep water escalopas and dumping the gut covered shells on any vacant lot in town. Sounds reasonable but the life cycle from egg to maggot to airborne mosca takes at least a week or so even in hot weather.

No one in PP to include the fishermen have a clue that if they dumped their marine offal back into the Sea that not only would it put a big dent in the shit fly issue but replenish the food chain on the bottom out there. Even the millions of cast away Murex shells would offer a new reef structure for critters to clamp onto and therefore make a new supply of ugly oddball imaginary dick hard meat for the Asia market.

We did see a very interesting event last Saturday up in the Sierra Pintas. We were in a deep roadless canyon with steep cliffs and dozens of caves up near the tops. There were mucho Turkey Vultures AKA Zopilotes perched on the ridge lines and on the white shit covered cave openings. Obviously nest sites with baby shit eaters to be nurtured.

The adult Zopilotes were engaged in non-stop flights to and from the beach. They were obviously returning engorged with partially digested delights scoured from the tide line to include dead whales, dolphins, sea lions, water birds, fish and whatever.

This was the first time ever that I have actually located a Turkey Buzzard nest. I used to see the nest sites of the Andean Condors with them doing the same thing on the deserts of Peru. Only there they had a round trip of a hundred miles or so from the Pacific coast beaches to the desert canyons of the west slopes of the Andes mountains.

JJ

Last edited: