Maps

I was warned by don when I bought the Lowrance 28 c HD that the map quality was bad. I had no idea that it was worthless. The land detail looks like it was drawn by a 4 year old.
Does anyone have a recomendation for a chip that has Sea of Cortez with Sea bottom detail ?
Thanks

don

Hey Bill,
I spoke to the Techs at Navionics and they said their platinum chip has some detail for the Sea of Cortez. Six months ago it was rated the best chip available, but they warned me it was very limited in detail because that body of water has not been thoroughly charted. You might want to see if anyone on the forum has a chip you can review before you drop $200.00 (Feb. platinum chip price).
I also asked the Techs. if they could either send me a small sample of the detail, or if they could post it on their site. Negative to both requests. I searched Bass Pro and Cabelas for the chip and it was a special order chip back then, and if I opened it, I bought it. So, does anyone on the forum have a chip we could look at, on either their boat/depth sounder or their home/computer?

Aaron

I have a Navionics Gold. The detail isn't perfect, but I believe it is true that there are none with good detail for the Sea of Cortez...the most recent charts are from old military surveys, probably around 50 years old, and I highly doubt that the Mexican Government has the funding/necessity to do new surveys any time soon. The other problem you'll find is that even with better detail, the charts are inherently "off the mark." For instance, it might say you are literally on top of Bird Island when you are a 1/8 mile+ to the east. Regardless, they give you a good idea of general depth, location, and bottom contour, so I suggest picking one up.

Aaron

PS, Don. Navionics sent me some screen shots of the maps before I bought my chip. You might want to try another customer service representative and ask again.

don

Thanks for the info Arron! Any chance you have your chip with you, which would allow us to look at the detail? Do you know if it shows reefs, such as in Super Grouper? Can you add waypoints to the chip?

Don The last I heard is that you can not add info to the chip. They say it would modify their program and they will not allow that. The 28 c does have two chip slots and the added data will go to the second chip.
I also spoke with Navionics a couple of days ago and they told me they can not send me anything to view.
Bill

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Previous post is correct, all of the Sea of Cortez data is antique from surveys done many years ago. Get the FishNMap for Northern Sea of Cortez. At $8, it's more detailed and accurate than any of the electronic chips. You can figure waypoints where you might want to go from the map, then plug them into your Lowrance and go exploring.

I use my electronic BlueCharts simply for trip planning purposes (distances, waypoint management and relationships). BlueChart's only provided detail is a rough depth estimate here and there, but no contour lines or underwater features or drop-offs.

I know of nothing (other than the FishNMap) that provides any level of bottom detail for the Northern Cortez. You'd think in this high tech age of mapping satellites and GPS there would be some sort of good detailed reference available. There isn't, at least, not that I know of.

Aaron

Navionics aren't highly detailed, but I don't think they're any worse than the paper fish maps available, probably about the same. They don't show any specific reefs, but they have basic depth contours, and I am able to add my own waypoints to my 27C just fine. I tried to find the old screen shots Navionics sent me, but I deleted them. It is strange they won't send some to you? I simply sent them an email asking for them, they sent screen shots back, then I bought the chip.

Hi Stuart
I have the map and it is great looking. Do you have any navigation instrument you use for measureing the Lat. Lon point on that map.
I do have a basic knowledge of the measeurment of lat. measurement but lon. is more involved due to cosine usage.
Thanks