Marina

We are looking at buying retirement property in PP. we also would like to buy or bring a sailboat (up to 42’) to RP. We’ve besn told that is a bad idea as it is too shallow and we should explore San Carlos for both boat and real estate. Thoughts?

Forty two feet is a big sailboat for PP. Gotta consider the keel depth as it is shallow close to shore, a mile or more in most places. Also, the wind is a major consideration as it BLOWS mostly in one direction. Most larger sailboats usually return to port with power.

And as Marybna states there are a few large sailboats at or near the marina but most are used as campers that never ever see the water.

JJ

marybna

I grew up in Hawaii and we had sailboats. Our boat was always in the water at Kaneohe Yacht and later Ala Wai. WE took our boat out all the time. I think the largest we ever had was 36 ft. We sailed between the Islands. Going to Kauai was scary because of the shipping lanes and they could not see us at night because of the swells. I have never sailed in the Sea of Cortes but we had friends that had boats at San Carlos and went out on them. All I know is that you better know what you are doing because you can get some really big swells. And no one can see you and I have heard that radar is spotty. Also a friend in San Carlos said that no one files their trips for tracking by the CG.

Roberto

Forty two feet is a big sailboat for PP.
And as Marybna states there are a few large sailboats at or near the marina but most are used as campers that never ever see the water.

JJ
If you re referring to the large craft in the lot west of the harbor they are largely live aboard craft, usually on the sea, and most came for an inexpensive repaint. I have met several of htem. THey are real seafaring folk.

Yes Bobbi.........

The fact that most of them have not moved off of their permanent jacks in more than twenty years doesn't classify them as "sea-fairing folk".

I've been looking at them since Lobo Del Mar was the big thing around the corner. I used to help hauling fifty scuba tanks back and forth from the Sun N Fun dive shop.

JJ