Mayan Palace

I was just wondering if there are still OPCs wandering the streets in RP trying to snag potential customers to tour Mayan Palace's timeshare resort. They used to OWN the streets, back in the boom days, but with the lack of tourists does anyone know if they are even actively selling timeshare out there???

And is Mayan still trying to sell their obscenely overpriced homes? Calling all RP realtors: Fill me in on the RE scene at Mayan if you can... I've got some friends who want to know, and apparently it's impossible to find facts at their website. :roll:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
hello huerita, yes they are still selling timeshares, there not as many as there use to be at the street level but as people are renting more of their share they are actually hounding the ones staying at the resort, as per a couple of the customers I took there that were not actual timeshare owners, somehow they are asking at the reception area, I guess

Terry C

Is the one tower still shut down? Was the last time we were there for a BD party. Was pure hell trying to get them to let all 10 of us have dinner there too.

MIRAMAR

We went to the Mayan sales office at the end of May just to look at the models- it was PACKED with people from Mexico. The Grand Mayan looks great and is progressing, and Delia is almost done. I never looked at prices.

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
My two cents....

I think the street scene has been illegal for a while, they have to be at a kiosk or at the Resort. You will see them at the Mex entry (Sonoita) giving free maps. Street freelancing is illegal, they have to have a place (Kiosk) and you have to go to them. I think this is true everywhere in Mexico.

Upon registering like in EVERY share resort in Mexico, even the Riuus, you get offered free gifts. After the free breakfast and the complimentary Spa massage and only "if you can stay for the 90minute presentation".

So expect to be approached but all you have to do is say no or "maybe later". It is not a hard sell to offer free food and gifts, 15% off your bill, etc.

(But the presentation is a a hard sell so be prepared to have to say no more than once) There are many packages and they will try to sell you each one. How do you think they now have 3 massive towers and growing? The new entrance is magnificent, and the airport is going to be part of their complex if you believe them. They plan to incorporate into their own town in time.

The Mayan management is separating the Old (first) complex from the Towers made to be an 'exclusive' club and to have something to Up sell members. The new pool and the new decor is a huge upgrade. This is marketed to upscale Mexicans and Arizonans are seen as "trailer" to them. They even discontinued having Phoenix on cable and now only have San Francisco station from the US. (Better than the German and Asian stations they used to have)

The sales format is ownership vs timeshare. Fact of the matter is you can never own but have a "lease" like option on a time share to use to exchange between condo's and homes etc. Just my opinion. Similar to a memebership Fee that many exclusive Golf Clubs have here in Care Free. But the membership fee is kept with the Mayan.

It have to say that Mayan offers the best Spa' in all of Rocky Point. It has the BEST masseuses even with compared to the ones I have had here in Scottsdale. I recommend them highly, you will be amazed at the skill and dedication these ladies have.

I know someonw that was skilled at haggling with them....took her almost all day, but the price she got was about 25% of the starting rate.....so if you have the backbone/skill, you might get a great buy.

audsley

My wife and I went through the Mayan Palace pitch Tuesday. It was a grueling four hours, but we got through it.

We were approached from a kiosk in Sonoyta. It wasn't that hard to get me to the Mayan Palace because I've been curious about the place for some time. Offering up a $50 dinner at the Lighthouse didn't hurt, so we agreed to do it with the understanding there would be a 90-minute presentation. I doubted we'd want to buy, but I figure anything is possible and I'm always willing to hear a pitch if it isn't too over-bearing.

The strategy is just what Cabo said - ownership with equity potential vs. timeshare. But with the over-supply of resorts and this company building more, any increase in value looks to me like a long shot. Furthermore, my wife and I realized that even though the Mayan Palace is beautiful, we'd rather be in a house at Las Conchas. Clean and beautiful is nice, but after the first five minutes the Mayan Palace is simply not very interesting. Lots of people who don't know each other sunbathing, swimming and generally lounging around. I can do all that at home in Tucson.

I asked our sales guy why this company picked Rocky Point. Why not San Felipe? Santa Rosalia? Loreto? He didn't really know, and I don't either.

By the end they were making offers that were a small fraction of where they started. The sales staff was very nice throughout, and we felt guilty not buying because the sales staff had worked hard with us and no doubt needed the money. They were doing everything possible to get something out of us, which led me to think the operation might be desperate for cash. We offered to give back the Lighthouse dinner and told them they could keep the $20 earnest money we'd put up for our reservation (which included lunch), but they wouldn't hear of it. I wish the sales staff well, but I think the people behind this venture are missing something. Industrial-scale vacation sites don't cut it for a lot of people. I'd rather spend a few days in a small hotel with some character and atmosphere in a place like San Blas.

A sure sign they don't get it is their plan to build their own faux city around the resorts, presumably so their guests won't have to mingle with any Mexicans of the non-tourist variety. I could just stay home and watch travel videos of Mexico and save a lot of money.

I've been to the Mayan several times...but never subjected myself to the sales pitch....been there, done that several times in Flagstaff, Las Vegas, and back east.....I'm not a total masochist! I also don't see the point of vacationing there.....insulated from the rest of Penasco like the resort is.....and I sure wouldn't want to head into town on a regular basis for any "entertainment" and "fun".....that road is still "interesting" at night (unless they've made improvement in the past several months! The nearness to the new airport and any visitors coming in that way will be even more insulated from Penasco....

I noticed most of the people that were there when I visited were around the pool....very few if any ventured into the ocean.....if I want to swim in a pool, I'll build one in my backyard! But it takes all kinds....I know a couple of people who have timeshares there....so to each their own!!!

Roberto

People I've spoken to like the time share aspect so they can stay at lots of different places around Mexico. Does not appeal to me either. I've had to talk Kenny out of buying one several times though.

RPJoe: Keeping your guests on the property is the whole idea about being a "destination" resort. That way they spend all their money there instead of spreading it around. Think Disney World as one major example. They have a special "Magical" bus that picks people up at the Orlando Airport, delivers them to their door and the guests' luggage is delivered to them. By doing that Disney improves the odds that all those guests will stay on the Disney World Resort grounds (they don't rent a car and aren't waylaid by timeshare touts on their way out of the airport) and Disney will get all of their vacationing dollars. It's the same with all such destination resorts, and that is what the Mayan development in RP intends to be in the future. Daniel Chavez is a man with a vision, but it's going to take a while...

I know local businesses all over the world-- restaurants, shops, etc.-- just hate the all inclusive resorts, because guests are less likely to leave those properties to spend money in town...

audsley: Mayan Palace/Daniel Chavez is known for choosing places to build that are, shall we say, kind of in the boonies. His first resort was in Mazatlan a couple of decades or so ago, and it was waaaay out at the northern tip of what was then the boonies in Mazatlan. In Vallarta he built in Nuevo Vallarta when there was hardly anything there; in Acapulco, it was down on the south beach where there was little development; in Cabo and in Cancun, same same. I guess Chavez thinks long term and figures that development will catch up to him, but in the meantime he'll be the only (and best) game in town. Of course the crash of the economy might mean it'll take a little longer this time, lol.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
After my 1st time share presentation in Cabo years and years ago... never ever again. I don't know about it being illegal to approach you on the street. We were hunted down like dogs on the streets of Mazatlan a couple times this summer. We were the only gringos in town, I think. Talk about the hard sell, these guys were desperate to get you into a presentation.

I'm neither here nor there or on the idea of a timeshare in and of itself. I have friends that have them. In fact, they've actually gifted me weeks they couldn't use in the past. One friend has two of them. If they work for you, great. Never been my thing. I've always liked to rent a casita if I'm staying somewhere for a week or ten days. San Carlos is a perfect example. I've rented casitas in various areas of town just to get a feel for how I like it because I've considered buying a property there. You get a feel for the neighborhood, how well the sewage system works (important!!) how often the power goes out, that kind of stuff.

The only real upside to the mega-resorts is the scenery around the pool and beach. Now that I'm officially approaching "old fartdom" status, it doesn't hold the same appeal it once did! I'd rather be at the marina drooling over boats I can't afford, not women! Hahahaha!

Kenny

I've had to talk Kenny out of buying one several times though.
Oh I see, sneaking around trying to get back at me in threads you think I won't look at :roll:... Why would I want a time share people, when I have a half dozen trailers I can sleep under when ever I want to?

Attachments

Kelney

It has the BEST masseuses even with compared to the ones I have had here in Scottsdale. I recommend them highly, you will be amazed at the skill and dedication these ladies have.
Now that is a sales pitch I can get behind of. I have always complained that the ladies at Happy Face lacked true dedication.

I don't know what the Mayan charges for the massage...but you would be surprised (actually shocked) what they pay the therapists!!!! I know a couple who used to work there.....

MIRAMAR

My husband and I went to the Mayan Cancun for our anniversary- it was a gift. We laughed because as we were leaving the "compound", the guard would ask us "where are you going?" Usually you get asked that question as you are entering. We're not into those all inclusive resorts and only spent $10 there (internet charge), the balance was spent in Tulum and Playa de Carmen.

Too far of a walk to get to the water for me!! We went out there to play golf a few weeks ago and as we came up to the hole that offers a truly amazing view of the coast, I looked at my husband and said "my God, you have to walk a half mile to get to the water. No thanks, I'll take the beach in front of trailer trash city any day over this". Granted, the tide was out but even at high tide, it's still quite a walk. I realize they had to build so far back, but that is a major down side for me. And I'm not a pool person either.