maybe this should be in the Bad News thread...

..but it's only bad news for me really.... unless it happens to you too! Came down Dia de madre weekend to meet with some potential home builders. ( that will be a whole 'nother story someday..) We were on the "cheap" so we tent camped at Concha Del mar. There's really not much left to tent camp at if you want to be close to town. Really wasn't a bad spot tho we felt like the only gringo's in town out there. Anyway... Up most of the night Friday because of loud music from the nearby attractions and the insomniac parking lot partiers . Saturday night we wish we had been up all night as we were robbed in our tent by what had to been the sneakiest catburglar with huevos of steel on the beach that night. Under cover of that howling wind storm, he/they/ whomever snuck in while we slept and grabbed a couple of items that should have been locked up in the truck.. but hey.. who woulda thought.? And yes.. being misplaced was first on our minds, but how many times can you look for something in 100 sq feet of tent ?
The items are replaceable, but I wonder what could have happened had I awakened and a confrontation had turned serious...
I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around how we became a target and how oblivious we were that it was happening, and still can't really believe it.
Lesson learned?? I'm not sure.. I've tent camped in Mexico many times since the late 70's and this is the first time I felt..violated.

mis2810

Was the tent zipped???? That's really hard to believe that someone would come into your tent while you were sleeping. Were you passed out drunk? I'm not saying it didn't happen, it just sounds crazy.

can't say that alcohol isn't a great sleeping aid, but "passed out" ? No. The missus was perfectly sober and simply sound asleep. Tent door was partially open..from the bottom. Like i said, having a real hard time accepting that it happened. One of the items was a wristwatch. I was awake at 2am and checked the time. a couple hours (it was still dark) later,I woke up and went to check the time... and Hmmmm no watch... freaks me out to think about how close I might have been to a face to face with someone..

Roberto

Does not suprise me. A bit back there was a burgular working the mirador who, in broad daylight, climbed up and across the neighbor's roof, hopped across to the the balcony on my rental apt. Neighbor heard noise on his roof and went out to look and say the guy leaning on the balcony rail like nothing was going on so he went back inside. Guy went into the apt through an unlocked door, renter was asleep in the next room and the robber took his wallet, vehicle keys and watch. That particular guy was shot dead up at PDO a short time after while breaking into vehicles.

Roberto

freaks me out to think about how close I might have been to a face to face with someone..
How about waking up in the night and opening the door to your bedroom to be faced with a guy holding a pistol at your head? Happened to me, the guy was a cop and had been called by a neighbor who gave a confusing report about a burglarly in progress. Brother of my then esposa had left the door unlocked the cop was rattling doorknobs found it unlocked and thought it was the scene of a crime !!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
How about waking up in the night and opening the door to your bedroom to be faced with a guy holding a pistol at your head? Happened to me, the guy was a cop and had been called by a neighbor who gave a confusing report about a burglarly in progress. Brother of my then esposa had left the door unlocked the cop was rattling doorknobs found it unlocked and thought it was the scene of a crime !!
I had a similar situation, I just got a new minivan and was taking some of my rat-packing stuff to goodwill, my neighbor saw the van loaded with the back door open and called the cops, few minutes later as I was in the kitchen my dogs barking hysterically, I see my gate open so I ran to the back door and jump out as I open the door to shock who ever was there, to my surprise I found 3 cops with guns in hand pointed at me, they were as scare as I was as I really surprise the shiait out of them, immediately they ask "who are you?" and I say "the owner of the house" and luckily my neighbor was out on the street to verified so, wasn't the first time I had a gun pointed at me but it was the first time it did scare the crap of me specially having 3!!! next time I will let the dogs out before I get out!!!! it was fun seeing the faces of the cops when I jumped out tho!!!!

jerry

A friend of mine shot and killed what he thought was a burglar in Tucson 15 years ago.It turned out to be a narcotics officer chasing a weed guy.My friend did a few years in the joint because ......well ...we could never figure out why....