Memories of driving to Rocky Point with Dad II

Let's try this again.

Stories of you and Dad in Rocky Point (YES)
Stories of you and Mom in Rocky Point (NO)

You and Dad listening to Jimmy Dean Songs (YES)
You not liking Jimmy Dean Sausage (NO)

You and Dad killing someone on the Mexico Border (YES)
Someone being killed on the Mexico Border (NO)

It seems so simple.

There has to be lots of great memories of times spent in Rocky Point.

Why not just open it up to "Memories of driving to Rocky Point"????? Many of us have not had the pleasure of driving with our dads to Rocky Point (he died years before I discovered Penasco)...but have been the "dads" doing the driving.....

Just asking....not picking a fight!:cruisin:

That would be great. I was just trying to make a point because these threads tend to get Hijacked! I would enjoy reading about others experiences in Rocky Point. We might find we have alot in common.

Rick Choya Bay

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
This may not fit the theme but it is my story.

When I was a little kid my dad kept telling me that "one day if everything stays together and doesn't come undone, Russ, you and I are gonna go fishing in Mexico" He said that every 6 months or so. Well we never got to go fishing together in Mexico because when I was 14 and when he was 46, everything came undone. He died of a massive heart attack and that deal was over.

I think a major part of the reason I choose to live here is because of that promise. I go fishing once in a while and every-time I think about what my dad said 34 + years ago.

So do the things you want to now! Take care of those you love now! Cuz you never know when things will come undone........

Russ,
For many years I worked for someone else and would see my Dad on family gathering or camping. When I started my own company (and had time) my Dad and I became friends and he loved to travel with me to Rocky Point. I earned respect in CHolla Bay with the seniors because of my Dad. We would work hard all day, eat hardy and sneek into the sonoran sun to swim in the pool. Great times. My Dad grew up during the depression and wouldn't spend money on himself but I always enjoyed treating him to a grande shrimp coctile, Sonoran papa near the Super Ley or shrimp tacos in Cholla Bay. We spent 11 days in Guanajauto eating,drinking and exploring the town. Memories I hope I never forget.

Rick Cholla Bay

A little off track....but still involves the ride to Penasco....this happened back in the mid 80's. I was usually the one driving, and always watched the speed limit coming up to Ajo and going thru Ajo. Well, this time my wife was driving, and we were coming up to an area before Ajo that was where the DPS used to hide behind some rocks coming around a curve, trying to zap you. The speed limit was 55 back then. My wife was passing a slow vehicle, and I warned her to back off the gas after she passed the car....but did she listen? Noooooooo!!! And there was the DPS sitting waiting for her. We got pulled over....and the DPS officer stopped his vehicle about a 100 ft. behind us. My wife walked back, and spent several minutes talking to the officer....picture this...she was about 5'2" and "well endowed" and he was well over 6 ft tall. My son and I were both laughing hysterically watching the activity while the cop stood over her trying to look down her blouse, and she was obviously doing a bit of flirting!!! The car must have been shaking pretty well, because when she came back, we heard it from her......but in the end, we all had a good laugh! She got off with one of those "misuse of energy resources" tickets.....doing 70 in a 55 zone, and the cop only marked it down as 62! And best of all....no points on her license!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Well good, I was feeling left out 'cause my dad left when I was 11 and my mom brought us to PP after that until I was old enough to drive and brought myself. I got a couple of good stories. I'll post 'em later, when I get home.

Got one of those tickets about 5 years ago. 70 in a 55. Mailed in the 70 dollars and no points on my record. Its did cost me 350 for my radar dector which has saved me who knows how much.

Rick
Cholla Bay

This may not fit the theme but it is my story.

When I was a little kid my dad kept telling me that "one day if everything stays together and doesn't come undone, Russ, you and I are gonna go fishing in Mexico" He said that every 6 months or so. Well we never got to go fishing together in Mexico because when I was 14 and when he was 46, everything came undone. He died of a massive heart attack and that deal was over.

I think a major part of the reason I choose to live here is because of that promise. I go fishing once in a while and every-time I think about what my dad said 34 + years ago.

So do the things you want to now! Take care of those you love now! Cuz you never know when things will come undone........
Definitely agree with this post.....I have a similar situation....my dad passed away when he was 50....and I did not have a chance to spend any real time with him after I started college. I've tried to spend as much time with my kids as I could....but it's never enough! I have many fond memories of the times we spent in Penasco.....and due to how close it was to home, and how inexpensive it used to be, I was able to spend more time "vacationing" with them than if I had gone elsewhere!

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
My Dad first took us to Penasco in 1957 have a pic swimming with my two brothers, it has the date, one of those with the cut edges. The car we drove down in was a 53 pontiac with one of those
a/c on the window. Man we had a great time. Thank you Dad and happy Fathers Day...

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Well, which story to tell first........ It was Easter 1972. We had a little bitty mid 60's 16 foot Teardrop travel trailer (it had propane lamps in it for light and NO bathroom!) and a great big 1969 Chrysler Newport. We had crossed over the border and were about 12 miles in, by the little curio place and the car started to overheat. We pulled over and looked at it. The water was coming from under the engine, not the hoses. Mom said, "well, it ain't the hoses, it's under the engine somewhere. I think I'll put flour and eggs in the radiator and see if it plugs it up. Voila, we got down there, stayed 3 days and came home with no problems. She took it to her mechanic friend who scolded the heck out of her because the radiator was so hard to clean. But, she was right, it was the freeze plug under the engine and he fixed it all. That was a great car! And a great trip! I'll tell some more stories later.

Last edited:

Kenny

Your mom told me that story at the Jeep deal at the gun range. At the time she told it to me you weren't there, and I didn't know she was your Mother then either. Later that day you'd said you didn't remember that story. I told your mom that we used to flock Christmas trees with a vacuum, but paint a car?

Last edited:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Oh, now I remember you telling me my mom told you she painted a car with a vacuum but I have never heard that story from her. It must have been before I was born but it does sound like something she would do. Damn hillbillies! LOL! I'll ask her today as I forgot to ask her after the expo. Thanks for reminding me!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Now, back on topic.......I told this story on the other forum so forgive me if you've heard it before. We were staying with our friends in their concrete and tin, one big room with a bathroom with a gravity shower cabin 2 houses up from J.J's in 1966. We had a Tote-Gote, the precursor to the mini bike. They have a 2 HP lawnmower motor on them with a pull start and chain and sprocket like a bicycle for drive. It would run 10 MPH or so, top speed! LOL! I used to ride that thing up and down the beach in front of J.J.'s at full speed. Well......one time the chain came off and got tangled up in the sprocket, immediately stopping the bike and tossing me head over teakettle over the handlebars, landing flat on my back in the sand! Knocked the wind out of me good! After I got my wind back, I jumped up, kicked the Tote-Gote several times, threaded the chain back on the sprocket, yanked that pull start good, jumped back on and roared off just as my mom got there after running down the hill from the cabin. She told me years later that that was when she realized I was gonna be a handful. LOL! Tote-Gote, mini bike, motorcycle, sand rail, boat and Jeep. If it has a motor in it, give me the keys and get out of the way! We sure had fun in those old days in Choya! Well, I did. My mom was usually nervous!

Terry C

mid to late 70's

The days of 4 or 5 sand rails wide open from the end of sandy beach to Rocky Point to go have a beer or 6 in town

And the Memorial weekend Rocky Point flat ass ran out of beer. They figured 3,000 people alone were on sandy beach.. Crazy times