Mexican Tourist Visa

sampson

Playing Hooky
What is the deal with the Mexican tourist visa for fishing mexican waters? How will it impact the U.S. fisherman? Where can I get one and how much will it cost? Anybody know?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
You only need a tourist visa issued if your trip forces you to pass through customs.

Driving into Rocky Point does not require a customs stop (thank you NAFTA); therefore you only need a valid Conapesca sport fishing license if Puerto Penasco is your port of call, and your Conapesca license will cover any fishing you do in the entire Sea of Cortez; provided that you do not enter any other port during your voyage. If you do happen to get stopped and checked offshore, then you must declare Puerto Penasco or San Felipe as your port of call, or else they might expect you to produce a Visa. Also, always have your Boat's registration card with you so that you can prove ownership. That's why launching from Safe Marina is a good idea, because Safe Marina forces you to complete a dispatch that they file a copy of with the Harbor Master. This document serves as proof that your Port of Call was indeed within a Free Trade zone.

Farther down the SOC, like the port at San Carlos/Guymas, for example, they have a customs office that you are supposed to check in with if you enter that port during an over sea voyage. There is a whole maritime procedure you are supposed to follow, like flying a yellow flag as you enter port, and tying off at the customs office first, etc, but I've never actually done this so I only know what I've read. Maybe Art Pina or one of the other guys that have sailed into other ports can chime in with their experience.

One other thing I learned recently- I use an electronic passport card to cross the border (so I can use the Ready Line when coming home), and often times I would leave my Blue Passport book at home, but this practice could bring trouble if I was stopped offshore. The Navy wants to see your Blue Book if they stop you- They will not recognize your passport card (which is only good for land crossings), so now I take both with me on every trip.

Not that I think there is really a chance of getting stopped offshore anyway.... :) Most days I'm lucky if I even see another boat, besides shrimpers, within 5 miles of me.

We were stoped about a year ago and all they wanted was boat Registration and fishing lic. They also checked flotation and fire ext.

dmcauley

This is mostly for trips in and out of USA ( san diego to mexico for example) Furthermore a passport is not required in the free zone, such as Sonora

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Buy your license at City Hall. It's in a little office in the back. Just ask, someone will show you where it is.