mexico as a failed state

jerry

Well speaking as a big pot smoker (well i used to be) and greatest joint roller in my trailer factory as a kid who now hangs with many successful people that love the product I don't think I'm any less productive than some truck driver or glorified prison guard.I make things,my friends make things and we don't really like a bunch of alcoholic freedom lovin, Chinese product junkies that feel all smug about putting us in jail for exchanging weed with our friends. On that front this is pretty interesting:

Big media Matt reports:
, “Keep Pot Illegal” bumper stickers have been seen on cars around the county. In chat rooms and on blogs, anonymous writers predict that tobacco companies will crush small farmers and take marijuana production to the Central Valley. With legalization, if residents don’t act, “we’re going to be ruined,” said Anna Hamilton, a radio host on KMUD-FM (91.1) in southern Humboldt County.

….Legalization could take many forms. But the conventional wisdom here is that fully legal weed might fetch no more than a few hundred dollars a pound, as more people grow it and police no longer pull up millions of plants a year. Illegal marijuana “is the government’s best agricultural price-support program ever,” said Gerald Myers, a retired engineer and former volunteer fire chief who moved to the county in 1970. “If they ever want to help the wheat farmers, make wheat illegal.”

This is an example of Bruce Yandle’s classic “Bootleggers and Baptists” model where the prohibitionist activists and the bootleggers together have an interest in a status quo that deters people from competing with the bootlegger

garyd

I think we should legalize it all and let people choose their own poison. booze, drugs or tobacco. Oh wow I just realized 2/3rds of it is already legal. Don't ban anything choose your own reality. Who are we to tell people what to do? Isn't that why we go to Mexico so we can live free?

Kenny

garyd...That choice has already been made by a lot young people who live in the dorms where I've worked for the past 6 years. Guess who gets carted off in ambulances for alcohol poisoning in the middle of the night? Guess who gets thrown out for multiple violations? Guess who's geting into fights and are arrested for assault? Guess who having psychotic reactions and overdoses with prescription medicine, that's not theirs? That's right, the "good kids"... Zero tolerance on pot, so no multiple violations for them, or ambulances either for that matter.

Last edited:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
It's hilarious how all of you talk about "pot heads" or what I like to call "people". Every single comment on here about pot heads has a negative connotation. Along with being a pot head they are also losers and arent doing anything with their lives. YEA! Give me a break, like thats a realistic representation of every person that happens to smoke weed. The generalization helps you make your point stronger, but using words like: most, those people, pot heads, a lot of, is simply irresponsible. Not everyone that smokes weed is a pot head that does nothing with their lives, sleeps in till 2 and watches tv all day. There is a wide range of users, some of whom you wouldnt suspect. People I know, like college graduates, doctors, lawyers, and even a highschool english teacher partake in smoking weed. All of which are successful individuals and by no means bad people. Your neighbor with a $400,000 mortgage, a wife, 2 kids and a BMW is the enemy right? Get real...

Kenny

Joe.. If they piss tested teachers and faculty at places of "higher" education, there would sure be a lot of job openings. You will never hear of that happening though, and for that very reason. I also work in the visual and performing arts section of the school, and a lot the faculty and staff in that area read "The Nation". I steal in whenever I can.

audsley ...Equating winning the Viet Nam war with the war on drugs is ridiculous, because the only way we could have won that war was by killing all the non political people as well. Those who were just fighting an invading nation, us. Or maybe you think killing one million combatants, and four million civilians wasn't enough? ... Under those circumstances I would hope that we would also come together to fight a invading force in the USA. Do you think after it was over, and five millions of us were killed before they left, that we would be as forgiving as the Vietnames people are with us today?... Hell no!

Last edited:

garyd

garyd...That choice has already been made by a lot young people who live in the dorms where I've worked for the past 6 years. Guess who gets carted off in ambulances for alcohol poisoning in the middle of the night? Guess who gets thrown out for multiple violations? Guess who's geting into fights and are arrested for assault? Guess who having psychotic reactions and overdoses with prescription medicine, that's not theirs? That's right, the "good kids"... Zero tolerance on pot, so no multiple violations for them, or ambulances either for that matter.
What did you mean by "The good Kids"? I'm sorry that these kids do these things and end up hurt but there are plenty of youg people I know that don't "OD" themselves the first chance they get. They are responsible and maybe that's because they were taught to be. They drink, they smoke and do other things but again not to the point they are a threat to themselves or other people. There are plenty of young people in the bars and ciubs that handle it quite well. So what is the difference?:geek:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
What did you mean by "The good Kids"? I'm sorry that these kids do these things and end up hurt but there are plenty of youg people I know that don't "OD" themselves the first chance they get. They are responsible and maybe that's because they were taught to be. They drink, they smoke and do other things but again not to the point they are a threat to themselves or other people. There are plenty of young people in the bars and ciubs that handle it quite well. So what is the difference?:geek:
I can see both of your points, but do agree with Kenny a bit more, as a father and having a daughter with friends that come around, I have been able to see that now a days since both parents work, mannerism, morals and ethics are not part of their resume and it is not taught in school neither was when we were kids and still then those subjects were mainly for the parents to teach their kids and not the school, well my point is that the majority of the kids now a days are bringing themselfs up, unfortunatelly by what they see in TV, shows, news, etc. and the parents are still at work and many parents are to tired to teach their kids when they come home and I do not blame them, the parents, it is the way life is now a days.
Now garyd I also see some of the kids my daughter brings home as very well manner and respectfull kids, unfortunatelly it is not the majority
of them that are "good kids"
This Spring Break was I eye opener, I took many college kids down, one group in particular impressed me the most, I spoke to a couple of the parents prior to takeing them down, I can say those parents I spoke to were very polite and respectfull, however, I can really pin point, but along wiht the kids I also had an older couple, and the way some of the kids were talking and the things they were saying, specially girls, I was completely ashamed to have those kids in my van along with the older couple, I was able to see the lady's face and she was red, do not know if it was due to anger or just ashamed. the thing is you know your kids but can not speak for other parents kids and I can say tyhat mine is respectfull and polite some of the others, the majority, I have seen do not show those trades, and I am talking about 14-15 to 19-20+ years old big gap IMHO. :eek3:

Last edited:
Respect???? Many of the kids I see don't know the meaning of the word respect (at least not what "my generation" understood it to be!!!).....but who is to blame? They've been brought up by the "me" generation...the "feel good" generation.....where it is more important for the individual to feel good about themselves and do what "they" want....with no condsideration for who or what they impact by their actions!!!

OK...I feel better now!! End of rant!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
That is OK Joe, you are not the only one with that same thought, even many of the "me" generation, as you call them, find themselfs bit%&ing about that same respect that they do not get from their own kids!! things that make you go hhhhmmmmmmmm!!!! :eek3:

Kenny

What did you mean by "The good Kids"?
Simple... I try to have a good relationship with ALL the young people at the dorms, and I become very familiar, friends if you will, with many of them. Unlike some, and as you seem to do, I try not to categories them, but root for all of them to do well. I've found it's not how they dress or wear their hair that's important, but how they grow as young adults while their there. This is a large community College, and the average ago of the student in the dorms is probably around 19 or 20, with a good number on the athletic teams... You might be surprised, as much of the staff and facility frequently are, about who gets throw out for one reason or the other. I'll hear things like, "I never would have thought that so and so would have done that, he or she is such a "good kid"!... Most of them are good kids, and will hopefully learn from their mistake and get on with their life. Get it now?

Last edited:

garyd

Simple... I try to have a good relationship with ALL the young people at the dorms, and I become very familiar, friends if you will, with many of them. Unlike some, and as you seem to do, I try not to categories them, but root for all of them to do well. I've found it's not how they dress or wear their hair that's important, but how they grow as young adults while their there. This is a large community College, and the average ago of the student in the dorms is probably around 19 or 20, with a good number on the athletic teams... You might be surprised, as much of the staff and facility frequently are, about who gets throw out for one reason or the other. I'll hear things like, "I never would have thought that so and so would have done that, he or she is such a "good kid"!... Most of them are good kids, and will hopefully learn from their mistake and get on with their life. Get it now?
I guess I misunderstood kenny. When you said "good kids" I assumed that was a catagory with "bad kids" being the other one. I guess I still don't understand what you meant in the first post about it happening to the "good kids". Either way it has no impact on me but I still think the simplicity of legalizing drugs would solve many more issues than it would create. You even noted in your post that the drinking is illegal and the "ban" against is not stopping it. :geek: