More about dog food and groceries at the border

Be warned that if you're bringing contraband such as beef or dog food, you're running the risk of being fined at the border. According to someone who had this happen to them on Friday, the fine was $75 usd per person in the car. There were three people, so the total was $225.
I've talked to some that managed to sneak it across, but with fines like those, I'd certainly think carefully before risking it.

badfish

Does any one know any healthy dog food they sell in Mexico? Not Benaful or other crap like that. I don't need blue buffalo either, unless they sell it.

Kea

Yikes. We were planning on limiting our dog food to a week's worth - to make sure we had enough for the trip and a little extra until we got to the store. I guess we'll just have to plan even more carefully!

We hope to be heading there in the next week!

jerry

they have 5 kinds at the Arizona market in Sonoyta...you can buy Purina small bites by the scoop.Lot's of cheap beef cuts there too.I'm working on getting my dogs to eat a all squid diet but it just isn't happening

dmcauley

2 weeks ago I brought in 3 50 lb bags to which the fiscale said, " thats will feed lots of dogs" and I was on my way. Where does this info come from?

2 weeks ago I brought in 3 50 lb bags to which the fiscale said, " thats will feed lots of dogs" and I was on my way. Where does this info come from?
Might have something to do with who is on duty when you cross. If the SAGARPA guys aren't there, I don't think the regular Aduana agents care about the food enforcement.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Dan, did you not see the posts on this last month? Someone even posted the list of what is allowed and what is not.......There are links to the official gov. website........

Jeff

I brought down about #150 pounds of dog food last wednesday open and in plain view of the MEXICAN border agents. Not one thing was said to me.

mondone

Whitecaps
This is crazy. Our dog is on a special diet and it cannot be found in Mexico. And switching brands of dog food for any dog can cause digestive/intestinal issues when changed suddenly.

I brought down about #150 pounds of dog food last wednesday open and in plain view of the MEXICAN border agents. Not one thing was said to me.
Let me explain this again. Not every Mexican working the border works for the same government agency.
The regular guys, the ones you've always dealt with, are working for the ADUANA. Their agency is an offshoot of HACIENDA, or SAT. They probably don't care about dog food, steaks or how many turkeys you bring in for Thanksgiving.
There is now another set of agents working the border. Those guys work for SAGARPA. SAGARPA is the Federal counterpart to what in the US would be the Dept. of Agriculture. These agents are the ones checking that no one brings in banned food products. The laws haven't changed, but enforcement has since SAGARPA has an office at the border. If you got by recently with banned food (dog or human), good. I just thought you should know that, if caught, there are hefty fines to pay.

This is crazy. Our dog is on a special diet and it cannot be found in Mexico. And switching brands of dog food for any dog can cause digestive/intestinal issues when changed suddenly.
This is precisely what my vet friend was telling me. He said he's working with his contacts at the governor's office to hopefully bring a change in this policy.

dmcauley

I've seen all the posts but have been lucky. It is the Mexican Governments responsibility to post these laws and they don't seem to be doing that. Thanks for all the advice but if I have to pay a fine, so be it. I only feed Mexican dogs and cats. The many turkeys I bring are for the less fortunate. If we let the people know about this maybe they will protest

Kea

As I understand it the issue is the beef. So what if the dog food is lamb and rice? And no beef? Would that be allowed?

Kea

Thanks! We will still buy dog food while we are there. Just want to make sure there is enough for the trip + any delays that might occur along our 1200 mile trip! Losing the extra food wouldn't be a big problem but I don't want to mess with those fines.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
As I understand it the issue is the beef. So what if the dog food is lamb and rice? And no beef? Would that be allowed?
The ban on beef is about Mad Cow disease, sheep also get it www.mercola.com/beef/sheep.htm I don't think the ban will be lifted any time soon. That's BAAAAAAAAAAAAd. Not all U.S. beef is banned in Mexico, boneless calf meat ( 30 month's or younger) can still be imported. Probably not at our level though.

Last edited:

rplarry

Tourists take note: When you come to Mexico, if you eat beef, you are likely to be ingesting clenbuterol. I, for one, am trying not to eat meat in Mexico. Just remember: These Under-17 soccer players were only in Mexico a short time, yet they still tested positive. If you live in Mexico, likely levels in your body are higher

Read more: http://blogs.mcclatchydc.com/mexico/foreigners-in-mexico/#ixzz1boAbA1EP
This is disturbing. Being tested for steroids in one visit? Does anyone know of a way to check or ask where a certain restaurant gets their beef (like grain fed, no steroids, etc or is that just a pipe dream with being in Mexico?)

Can't imagine the little kids who eat carne asada like it's going out of style and their little bodies ingesting these strong drugs (steroids). We always are good for 3-4 carne asada taco stands or meals at restaurants while down in RP.

Makes me think twice if it is worth the risk ?? Anyone have any thoughts on this, or how we can find out 'who is serving what and from where it came from?' I know the news has not been great for Mexico over the past several years, but for regulars... this doesn't help.