Mosquitoes

I'm a mosquito magnet. The little darlings just love me. Some years back when I lived in Mazatlan, where the mosquitoes are the size of 747s, I suffered mightily for quite some time. Then I discovered the following things that have continued to help me to this day.

1: Prevention. You've probably all heard of the Avon Skin So Soft thing. Well, for me it worked better than any of the official mosquito repellents AND there was no poison in it. As long as all my exposed parts were well covered with SSS, the critters left me alone. I hear Avon now has an actual mosquito repellent based on SSS, but I haven't tried it.

2: If you get bitten and can manage not to touch the bite, much less scratch it, for 15 to 20 minutes the itch usually goes away. (Rubbing/scratching it makes it worse of course.)

3: BUT, a better remedy for a bite is to rub it with a bar of soap. Any kind of bar soap seems to do the trick, dry or wet. I swear to gawd! I don't know why it works, but it takes the itch away almost immediately. Also works for flea bites and other itchy critter bites. I know, it sounds kind of lame, but hey! you can't argue with success!

On a separate note, wandering down memory lane, does anyone else remember that old Girl Scouts song (feel free to sing along :D )

Oh I wish I were a little bar of soap
Oh I'd slippy and I'd slidey over everybody's hidy

Oh I wish I were a little mosquito
Oh I wish I were a little mosquito
Oh I'd bitty and I'd bitey under everybody's nighty
Oh I wish I were a little mosquito...

Ah, uh, well, never mind... :roll:

Roberto

I recall reading that mosquitoes are more attracted by certain blood types than others. Sort of like some people prefer chicken over beef I guess !!

AZ ROB

I have found that 1 shot of Tequilla every hour tends to keep the mosquitoes away as well or at the least you dont care...

Roberto

Have you found any one brand more effective that the others? Takes quite a bit of extensive testing !!

I think u are right I get eaten up (0+) and hubby (A+) not a bite
I'm A+ and hubby O-, I'm eaten up and he-- not a bite. I read somewhere a while back that it has to do with how much carbon dioxide you emit. If that's the case, I'm probably to blame for global warming. :D

I used soap on bug bites years ago as a kid. Make a little paste and cover the bite and you're good to go. As I remember Ivory worked the best but any kind would do. Even worked on nasty spider bites!!

Buy face fly repelent at a farm store and spray in hands and wipe it on. Keeps everything away. I have used it for years, may be why I am a little crazy.

A

angelinastones

I tried that Avon product and it also works for me. You could avoid mosquito by removing dirts. That's what attracts them like the flies. haha!