My Greenhouse Easy Self Watering 20 x 36 feet

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
IMG_0229.jpgIMG_0223.jpgxIMG_0224.jpg2IMG_0225.jpgIMG_0228.jpgIMG_0227.jpgIMG_0230.jpgIMG_0226.jpgIMG_0221.jpgIMG_0226.jpgIMG_0219.jpgIMG_0218.jpgIMG_0215.jpgIMG_0220.jpgIMG_0225.jpgIMG_0223.jpgIMG_0217.jpgIMG_0214.jpgIMG_0213.jpgIMG_0222.jpgIMG_0224.jpgIMG_0219.jpg I decided not to cover it this year, just grow vegetables and greens in season, these were planted in November. 6 different lettuces,beets, carrots, turnips, spinich, arugala,garlic,cilantro kolrabi and broccoli. Everything grows a little slower, than if it was covered. I like the gutter garden for the greenhouse, it takes an area of 1' foot wide by 10 feet long, so by only using 10 sq. feet of my greenhouse area, I can grow approx. 100 lettuce plants. The Buttercrunch, oak leaf and other lettuces never get picked, they only get trimmed for salads. We have had only a couple freezes this year, but the plants handeled it. The gutters would be great for a townhouse or apartment patio.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Nice ! You should bring some produce to the Farmers Market !! Interesting use for roof gutters, great idea. Making some raised beds that you could fill with compost would be a nice addition. I love to build soil. My grandfather was known as an expert gardener. He had to feed 7 kids and grew and stored everything with no refrigeration. He would visit the site after the circus left town to haul the elephant crap home in a wheelbarrow! Today he would be called a Master Gardener, back then it was survival. Have you had any luck with tomatos?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
This is too cool! I love the gutter garden!! Is this at your home in PP or here in AZ?
Lori, it's in Arizona. Any small rooted plant, herbs, lettuce radish, spinich does good in the gutters. You can stack them as high as you want. I drilled holes and put screen in the bottoms every couple feet for drainage, then I ran drip tubing the length of each gutter, under it all to not waste water, I planted turnips and beets that get the excess water from the gutters. Inside a greenhouse they use very little water because of the constant humidity and no wind to dehydrate the soil. I didn't cover mine this year. But its working ok. Another thing I have the plants on a timer and can leave for a week or 2 with no problem.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Nice ! You should bring some produce to the Farmers Market !! Interesting use for roof gutters, great idea. Making some raised beds that you could fill with compost would be a nice addition. I love to build soil. My grandfather was known as an expert gardener. He had to feed 7 kids and grew and stored everything with no refrigeration. He would visit the site after the circus left town to haul the elephant crap home in a wheelbarrow! Today he would be called a Master Gardener, back then it was survival. Have you had any luck with tomatos?
Roberto, in Phoenix, I grew with raised beds, buckets and hydroponics and they all were good, my raised beds in the PHoenix greenhouse were filled with earthworms' so we also got rid of lots of kitchen waste that way. I have grown all kinds of tomatoes, cukes,greenbeans, peas, 7 or 8 different kinds of chile, brussel sprouts and lots of herbs, its fairly easy with a greenhouse, because you control the environment. When I cover the thing, we release lady bugs to keep the pests away. Doesn't take much to entertain some people and this is a great example of that. Its really not to much work at all, no weeding, no watering and no driving to the store for veggies. A scout for the DiamondBacks baseball team bought my Phoenix house and he still uses the greenhouse.

Sarina

Does anyone grow and sell veggies here in RP? I used to be a frequent customer of the local farmers markets in AZ. I am a new resident here in RP and looking for all forms of health food. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Does anyone grow and sell veggies here in RP? I used to be a frequent customer of the local farmers markets in AZ. I am a new resident here in RP and looking for all forms of health food. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Check out Sinaloa Fruitera. On the east side of Sinaloa, 1/4 mile north of Fremont. Great tortillaria 1 block before the fruiteria as well! It is a house, watch for the sign.