Nature Lovers Sonoran Desert plant and animal ID

Kenny

Funny I can't seem to find one of my favorite native plants, though they show the useless Barbados pride (Caesalpinia pulcherrima) that their calling the Texas Bird of Paradise. Our native (almost) bird of paradise (Caesalpinia gilliesii) attract humming birds, Sphinx months and various insect life, especialy the Praying Mantis and butterflies; while the pretty and hot colored Barbados pride hardly gets noticed at all. This fall when the pods are brown and twisted up and ready to pop, get you a few seeds off a large specimen because their easy to grow. Trim them like a tree by taking off the side branches as they grow and stake them out so they don't fall over and with lots of water I've grown them over 10 feet tall with huge flowers and seed pods that pop so hard they'll shoot seeds across your yard like a BB gun. look ..Caesalpinia gilliesii - Bird-of-paradise Shrub, Yellow Bird of Paradise - Southeastern Arizona Wildflowers and Plants

Last edited:
I am so excited to come up there and explore the desert! We live in a very tropical area. I love it, but love the desert too. We're in Guerrero, a couple hours south on the coast, it has been raining since June. Almost always at nite, but for us it's a problem as they are paving the road above us and when it rains the mud comes down our driveway onto the patio. I'm reading there's not alot of rain up there...

jerry

I am so excited to come up there and explore the desert! We live in a very tropical area. I love it, but love the desert too. We're in Guerrero, a couple hours south on the coast, it has been raining since June. Almost always at nite, but for us it's a problem as they are paving the road above us and when it rains the mud comes down our driveway onto the patio. I'm reading there's not alot of rain up there...
South of Penasco you can explore the desert on a atv,by boat then hike or a jeep and find amazing stuff.I just ran into some Japanese guys gathering plants...

Where is Guerrero?

South of Penasco you can explore the desert on a atv,by boat then hike or a jeep and find amazing stuff.I just ran into some Japanese guys gathering plants...
Jerry: you never know what kind of people you run into. I met a guy from Germany who loves Mexico and has visited our area many times on his vacations.

jerry

Jerry: you never know what kind of people you run into. I met a guy from Germany who loves Mexico and has visited our area many times on his vacations.
In Amsterdam at the Botanical Garden (one of the oldest in the world) they have A Sonoran desert room and a Sonoran cactus garden.We are trying to work something out to get groups from there to visit Caborca.