In Oct. I'm visiting the area to see where I'd like to stay upon retiring which will occur next summer. I'm having difficulty getting info as many of the main travel publications devote little space & very short on details. As my son will be in AZ I'l like to stay within a drivable distance, perhaps 5 hrs. I'll be driving from PP as far south as Guaymas & meeting with realtors as well as hoping to mix in some fun.

I have a # of ?'s I to which I'm hoping to get answers. Does N-S or its reverse make any difference?
Would it be best to rent a car in Tucson, Az. or Nogales, Mx?
Is there an Ocean route which passes thru all the towns?
There seem to be many towns along the way both large & small; would all of them have a realtor & simple hotel & restaurant?
Which towns would warrant an overnight stay due to the amount of rentals to see?
Are there some expats in all the towns? I'm prone to like less developed areas but don't want to feel totally isolated.
Know any trustworthy realtors? (no jokes please).
Do any of you have places to rent? Ideally I'd like a small casita or an apt. within a larger house.
Thanx.
Dukie

marybna

You need to go and spend at least a week in Puerto Penasco, Guymas, and San Carlos. I have worked in all of them and they are different. San Carlos is about 4 hr from AZ. We went there when we were still diving. We'd dive and play golf and I would hit Ford in Hermsillo on the way back. Guymas is a port city. Lots of traffic. PP is a vacation spot for me. It is about an hour across the border. The condo are upscale for US owners. English is spoken most places. I had friends from Seattle that moved to Mazatlán. They lasted about 3 years. It was just too much of a hassled going back and forth.

Roberto

In Oct. I'm visiting the area to see where I'd like to stay upon retiring which will occur next summer. I'm having difficulty getting info as many of the main travel publications devote little space & very short on details. As my son will be in AZ I'l like to stay within a drivable distance, perhaps 5 hrs. I'll be driving from PP as far south as Guaymas & meeting with realtors as well as hoping to mix in some fun.

I have a # of ?'s I to which I'm hoping to get answers. Does N-S or its reverse make any difference?
There seem to be many towns along the way both large & small; would all of them have a realtor & simple hotel & restaurant?
Which towns would warrant an overnight stay due to the amount of rentals to see?
Are there some expats in all the towns? I'm prone to like less developed areas but don't want to feel totally isolated.
Do any of you have places to rent? Ideally I'd like a small casita or an apt. within a larger house.
Thanx.
Dukie
If you are flying in rent in Tucson or \phoenix.. No public transport here.

The Coastal highway is designed to connect all towns along the coast but it is unfinished and in some places not real secure. Cross at \lukeville Sonoita to Penasco. plan on several days in Penasco. Lots to see and do restaurants and rental homes and condos. Penasco to Caborca then Hermosillo without stopping , then maybe Bahia de Kino then San Carlos then Guymas. Overnight in Kino a pleasant quaint Mex fishing village with some few hotels some expats mostly snowbirds and a strip of big beach houses. Overnight in SAn CArlos several nights, hotels and restaurants ex pat population lots of private homes. San Carlos is pretty dead much of the season, restaurants close. Forget Guymas except for a hop down from San Carlos as it is close by. Kino to SAn Carlos you will need to go back toward Hermosillo then down to San Carlos. There is a more direct route but crappy.

No other than those already mentioned. A plethora of realtors in Penasco, few in KIno, few in San Carlos.

Call Dee Brooks at Twin Dolphins Realty 638 383 3919 mex. in Penasco. For both rentals and property viewing in Penasco.

Overall I think you will find Penasco, warts and all, offers a variety of types of housing and convenient shopping and dining. Quick hop to the border and has been overall safe.

jerry

You could consider the old silver city of Alamos in Southern sonora...a beautiful place but maybe 9 hours down...If air is cheaper to Phoenix you might as well fly in there....on the other hand I would consider some of the new downtown Tucson apartments or houses with condo stays inPuerto Penasco..... better Mexican food,vibrant downtown great medical centers,University of Arizona cultural activities....BBall team that will be great...cool mountains for hiking...great biking and golf

You need to go and spend at least a week in Puerto Penasco, Guymas, and San Carlos. I have worked in all of them and they are different. San Carlos is about 4 hr from AZ. We went there when we were still diving. We'd dive and play golf and I would hit Ford in Hermsillo on the way back. Guymas is a port city. Lots of traffic. PP is a vacation spot for me. It is about an hour across the border. The condo are upscale for US owners. English is spoken most places. I had friends from Seattle that moved to Mazatlán. They lasted about 3 years. It was just too much of a hassled going back and forth.

Thanx.
Dukie

Thanx.
Dukie

If you are flying in rent in Tucson or \phoenix.. No public transport here.

The Coastal highway is designed to connect all towns along the coast but it is unfinished and in some places not real secure. Cross at \lukeville Sonoita to Penasco. plan on several days in Penasco. Lots to see and do restaurants and rental homes and condos. Penasco to Caborca then Hermosillo without stopping , then maybe Bahia de Kino then San Carlos then Guymas. Overnight in Kino a pleasant quaint Mex fishing village with some few hotels some expats mostly snowbirds and a strip of big beach houses. Overnight in SAn CArlos several nights, hotels and restaurants ex pat population lots of private homes. San Carlos is pretty dead much of the season, restaurants close. Forget Guymas except for a hop down from San Carlos as it is close by. Kino to SAn Carlos you will need to go back toward Hermosillo then down to San Carlos. There is a more direct route but crappy.

No other than those already mentioned. A plethora of realtors in Penasco, few in KIno, few in San Carlos.

Call Dee Brooks at Twin Dolphins Realty 638 383 3919 mex. in Penasco. For both rentals and property viewing in Penasco.

Overall I think you will find Penasco, warts and all, offers a variety of types of housing and convenient shopping and dining. Quick hop to the border and has been overall safe.
Roberto, Thank you for yr informative answer

Marybna,

That for the info.
Dukie

You could consider the old silver city of Alamos in Southern sonora...a beautiful place but maybe 9 hours down...If air is cheaper to Phoenix you might as well fly in there....on the other hand I would consider some of the new downtown Tucson apartments or houses with condo stays inPuerto Penasco..... better Mexican food,vibrant downtown great medical centers,University of Arizona cultural activities....BBall team that will be great...cool mountains for hiking...great biking and golf
Jerry,
Thanx for the advice, I'm looking for water & closeness to Tuscon.

Dukie

jerry

Jerry,
Thanx for the advice, I'm looking for water & closeness to Tuscon.

Dukie
Dukie, we love it when you spell it like that! What's worked for me is a ranch in the mountains in az and a isolated gated community 4 hours from Tucson via Nogales ( Santo Tomas)....best of both worlds!

Last edited: