Netflix Connection?

Rhino

Well Known Member
Has anyone been able to install Netflix on a TV here in Penasco? I have a MX connection and tried to connect with my Netflix account via my smart TV with no luck. The error message was something relative to the connection and wouldn't let me get past the "Are you a Netflix Member?" page. I would appreciate any suggestions and tips.

El Tiburon

Well Known Member
I recently was able to view it on my laptop and tablet at a condo in town. Tried on a tv at the beach but couldn't set it up. For me I think the problem at the beach was a slower internet connection. Next time I am down I will try the laptop and tablet at the beach to see if it is an internet issue due to slow download or something else.

Rhino

Well Known Member
Duh...I didn't think to try getting on Netflix with my laptop so I just did; no problem! So no I'm ever more perplexed because it apparently not a connection issue. Other ideas?

mis2810

Well Known Member
Last year I tried to get Netflix and Hulu on my laptop and couldn't - something about the country not being supported - has something changed?

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
Unfortunately, most of the streaming content providers (netflix, hulu, amazon, apple, itunes.) negotiate licensing rights to each country on an individual basis. That means that your account has to 'match' the country where you are trying to access the content; i.e. if you sign up for Netflix in the US, you can only watch content while you are physically in the US.
The content provider 'knows' where you are based on the IP address assigned by your internet provider. So if you try to watch NetFlix while connected to the web via TelMex, they know you are in Mexico and block the content. I think this is total BS, but thats just the way it is.
If you are a traveler, the main way to get around this is to use a proxy server, which allows you to route your internet traffic through a US-based server, which gives the appearance that you are still in the US. There are free proxy servers but come with security concerns- it is probably better to use a pay service-there are many out there, you just have to google it. If you are not a traveler but live in Mexico, it may worth it to investigate signing up for your streaming services via the Mexico branch of each company (I know NetFlix has started in Mexico, but I'm not sure about the others; and I'm not sure if the content would be 100% the same either- you would have to investigate)

kelly

We watch netflix from samsung tablet right on the beach in mirador area. has different shows and movies than here.

Senor Pescado

Well Known Member
For whatever reason - I can receive Netflix on my iPad but when I try to access through Wii on tv it won't work. On iPad I do only receive the Mexican version of Netflix.

Jellyfish

I never thought to try my laptop. I'll have to get another 30 day free trial. No luck with my smart TV. Was told there was not enough "bandwith?" to support it in Cholla. Netflix had told me I would get the Mx version down here, but no go.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
The few places I have done a speed test in Cholla, I found the wireless download speed to be 200k-768k. Averaging 256K. Generally not enough for Netflix. They usually want a minimum of 1MB/sec for a laptop/tablet, 2MB for a STD TV and 3-4MB for 720P(HD). You can do it with less (if NF lets you load a video) but plan on some buffering pauses while streaming.

Last edited:

kelly

tthe bus takes 10 hours from phx we go on executive bus.Years ago we took different buses from nogales,stopped in every city took Forever. I have freinds in colonia benito jaurez,right on the mountain.we been going for 18 years.I am a single woman with kids we love los mochis.Topolobampo is 20 min. drive absolutely beautiful. my freinds in los mochis dont have passports so I Meet them every year in rocky point.

Works perfectly for me but I have a Mexican Account, you can also get a Free mexican account for a month (I have 6mb/s in my house supposedly)

jerry

Well Known Member
tthe bus takes 10 hours from phx we go on executive bus.Years ago we took different buses from nogales,stopped in every city took Forever. I have freinds in colonia benito jaurez,right on the mountain.we been going for 18 years.I am a single woman with kids we love los mochis.Topolobampo is 20 min. drive absolutely beautiful. my freinds in los mochis dont have passports so I Meet them every year in rocky point.
Street Gourmet LA: Mi Costa, Playa Maviri, Los Mochis Sinaloa: Topolobampo Might be Where the Guide Book Sends You, But Playa Maviri is Where the Locals Eat
I want to go down there and eat...plus see if any tropical hardwoods can be purchased in the area.

kelly

I have been to both places. The beach we love the best is Los Glorias,Guasave. I never went to eat in topolabampo. The view is fantastic, also the ferrie leaves from there it goes across to la paz. Hmmmm I have great pictures of the ferry, and the view.we always eat at maviri beach every year. The beach is kinda muddy there.I will try to figure out how to post the pictures here.

kelly

You can put your car, or trailer,on the ferry and drive back from la paz. The ferry is in topolabampo. Years ago my mom and dad took a caravan down the coast both ways. they put their 5th wheel on the ferry in topo. My mother says her favorite place she has ever been in mexico is topolobampo.

dennydaddy

Go to the I pad app center and sign up for a VPN......cheap..maybe a buck a month. They all work the same, but make sure the service is located in the states. Then set up on the OS system and sign on first before you sign on to Netflix. It will load like wifi then ya can get stateside movies. It fakes the servers into thinking your in the states. It hides your location, Some VPN's you can route thru other countries, but you need to route thru the US for US movies or TV.

DD