New boat today kinda

Well I did it and bought a new jet ski to turn into a fishing ski.
I bought a 3 person 4 stroke Kawasaki STX-15F and can add all the stuff I need to go out 20 or 30 miles to fish with the big boys. They tell me if I hold the speed to about 30 mph it should have a trip limit of over 100 miles. I plan to cary a spare fuel tank to be sure. I can add a rack on the stern to hold a fuel tank, a cooler, a small bait tank and have 4 pole holders. I am like a little kid in a candy store waiting for Fall. I figure I will stay busy building and re building this summer until I get it the way I want it. Then to the lake to test it out before heading down. I plan on building with PVC to get it the way I want it and then to al.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I would say you have 100 lb ~~~~ JUEVOS ~~~~~ if you plan on going out 20 to 30 miles on a jetski, maybe even a death wish!

As I have aged I have said i don't care if I die on the ocean.
The Jet ski thing is growing all over the world. Seems Australia is kind of in the lead but it is becomming common in Southern California also. The stability is out of site and if they do rollthey are simple to right. All of the openings are water tight so they do not take on water and what little does seep in is handled by the bilge pump.
I am sure I will not ge going out 20 miles for a year or 2. Lots of reefs closer in than that.

Bill...good choice with the 15F (I don't recall of that one is supercharged/turbo)...although I am a SeaDoo person! And don't worry about going out 20-30 miles. I've gone out to Bird Island on ours...and my daughter was around 15 and had a friend along on her SeaDoo. We've also gone out to Catalina Island from Long Beach. Both are about 30 miles each way.

Just make sure you have someone who knows where you're heading, have a good gps and radio with you. You are a very small "target" out there if someone is trying to locate you.

You can even rig a depth finder/fishfinder if you really want one. The transducer can be epoxied inside the hull. SeadDoo even started offering that as an option.

A piece of advice...take good care of the battery...keep it on a trickle charger, and make sure the one you have is not under capacity. With the fuel injection, it puts a heavy load on the electrical system, and the alternators are not that great in terms of being able to charge a low battery and running the ski at the same time. If you're making a lot starts while fishing, it can drain the battery very quickly.

The next time we're both down in Penasco, let's get together....I'd be glad to give you some tips on improvements you can make. And find yourself a good motocross type helmet. You'd be surprised on how rough it can get out there very quickly, and it has saved me from several broken noses or missing teeth (from face plants into the handle bars!!).

Roberto

Might consider on of those 12 ga. flare guns, I would. Maybe you could rig it to take a trolling motor !!

Hey thanks
I had not even thought of the helmet and the face in the handlebars. When I do my wood turning I wear a catchers face plate and it is not as large and would be cool in the heat.
Haved you riged your Ski for fishing ? If so send a pic.

Bill...no fishing...I eat them but don't catch them LOL....but I do have a frame that mounts on the rear that holds a smaller cooler...probably 20 qts.....I'll dig up the name of the company that sells it, and try to get a pic for you. It would be perfect to mount rod holders to, etc.

On the helmet, I don't wear it unless it's really rough, or I'm out doing some wave jumping....yep, with a 3 seater!!!!

playaperro

El Pirata
lol why didn't you just buy a boat
I love my xp's would never fish from them, the best ride you can make is when you come out of the harbor and hang a left and head out toward the east beaches by the time you get back your dealing with whitecaps, yikes you better good and not let up on the throttle...

I love my xp's would never fish from them, the best ride you can make is when you come out of the harbor and hang a left and head out toward the east beaches by the time you get back your dealing with whitecaps, yikes you better good and not let up on the throttle...
Dawg....the xp is a fun jetski....very popular on the racing circuit back in the carburetor days, but not very stable as a fishing platform...and barely a 2 seater! I've seen people continually roll it trying to get back on after they fall off!

playaperro

El Pirata
bE REALISTIC WHAT THE HELL YOU GONNA CATCH 10 MILES OFF THE SHORELINE THE DAMM CHINOS SWEPT THE OCEAN FLOOR NOTHING LEFT WHY DO YOU THINK MOST PEOPLE SPEND OVER $300 IN GAS TO CATCH A DECENT FISH!

bE REALISTIC WHAT THE HELL YOU GONNA CATCH 10 MILES OFF THE SHORELINE THE DAMM CHINOS SWEPT THE OCEAN FLOOR NOTHING LEFT WHY DO YOU THINK MOST PEOPLE SPEND OVER $300 IN GAS TO CATCH A DECENT FISH!
Dawg....why are you so down on Bill fishing off a jetski....he currently does it off a personal inflatable pontoon! Probably doesn't go more then a mile offshore. Different strokes for......

It would be interesting seeing him try to pull in a 50-70 pounder, though!

Bill...get yours rigged up, then get Edna one....it is a lot safer going out with another jetski!

I found the first thing that you should by for your Jetski: Spot Satellite Messenger. SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger ~~~~~````` JUEVOS = YOU ON A JETSKI 30 MILES OUT`````~~~~~ PIN@#! LOCITO!
Either that or a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon)...PLB 15 miles or 30....what's the difference? In rough water, with the size of the jetski, you wouldn't see him until you were right on top of him...like you on your yak!

Hooch

What does a decent boat that can handle the waters of the Sea of Cortez cost? How about fuel? Used jetskis are going for under $5000.....and he can run all day on under 20 gallons.
I would rather be on a 5 grand boat 15 miles out than on a jetski any day of the week. 15 miles out on a ski is the new sequel to the Castaway movie

playaperro

El Pirata
Dawg....why are you so down on Bill fishing off a jetski....he currently does it off a personal inflatable pontoon! Probably doesn't go more then a mile offshore. Different strokes for......

It would be interesting seeing him try to pull in a 50-70 pounder, though!

Bill...get yours rigged up, then get Edna one....it is a lot safer going out with another jetski!
Como hago pendejadas...pero ahh como me diverto!