New Vehicle Permit Regulations

tortuga

Does anyone know how the new vehicle permit rules will affect both long and short term visitors to Penasco? Please include any info on Motorhomes and travel trailers.

Roberto

Does anyone know how the new vehicle permit rules will affect both long and short term visitors to Penasco? Please include any info on Motorhomes and travel trailers.
No vehicle permits are required for Penasco. It is in the "Free Zone". This includes trailers, motorhomes, bicycles.

What permits are you talking about, Tortuga? I know they've gotten weird about long-term cell phone ownership recently, where you have to show residency and a utility bill (yes, I know it's trying to make it harder for the cartels to buy multiple phones), but is this another law with those same goals?

tortuga

The following is part of a discussion on the good sam rv club forum (rv.net) about the new vehicle permits. There are three threads going on there in the "Rving in Mexico....." part of the forum about the new vehicle permits.

I just talket to a girl in charge of the Banjercito and here are some answers to my questions, I will find out more and post them later.....

car permit will be $35.52 dollars iva included motorhome or travel trailer $49.95 iva included she mentioned that the 44.00 plus iva is othe cost of the permit on line.
No hassle zone will continue just for cars, not motorhomes or any trailer.
any motor home or trailer require a permit and is for 10 years.
Only Sonora will continue.
It will take no more than 5 minuts to check the status of your vehicle that it is not stolen or has any kind of porblem in the USA or Can.
All, every one has to leave a dposit from $200.00 to $400.00 dollars to make shure the return of the vehicle, your mone will be returned to you in dollars at the Banjercito module whe you go back, this if paid in chash, if you pay with a credit card your deposit will be made to your credit card the next bussines day...
The FMM visa or tourist visa does not get an extention only the FM2 and the FM3

OK...I want to make shure that all this information I got it over the phone and please do not take it as official information, I can always make a mistake....this is only a phone call I made this morning.....I will post more when I get it.......

Hoping that "someone in the know" (Rosie) would have more or more accurate info. The new vehicle permit rules are supposed to go into effect on June 11.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
It's been like that for boats (beyond the Free Zone) for some time now. 10 year permit, about $60 for boat and trailer. Basically, a passport for the boat. A big part of it is the Customs/Aduana thing. On the application form, you list all the major contents of the boat -- fridge, stove, radios, nav gear and other stuff of any value. Then there's never a question of having to pay duty on it. I'm sure it will be the same for RVs.

This isn't (currently) enforced in the Hassle Free zone. But, I have pulled out my TIP (Temporary Import Permit) when asked for registration while crossing at Lukeville. Guy took one look at it, compared it to the name on my passport, and I was on my way, so it does help eliminate any border inspection hassles of the boat going into Mexico. Also, you MUST have a TIP in order to check your boat into any marina south of the Hassle Free zone. San Carlos, etc.

So, while obtaining yet another piece of Mexican "official" paperwork can be a PITA, it may prove very worthwhile to you if your a frequent crosser.

Kea

We've crossed several times in the last few years without a TIP. Is that something we should get? If so, where do we get one?

Thanks!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I don't know for certain that you can get one at Lukeville, although I have gotten vehicle permits (for outside the free zone) there in past years. I got mine at the 21km stop just south of Nogales on a trip to San Carlos. Bigger station and well organized as far as getting all the paperwork, paying the bank, etc.