New Years Crowd in RP

kazpilot25

So my wife and I were in RP for new years last weekend, just like every other year and noticed it to be rather "slow" down there. We went down to the fish market for shrimp cocktails and were surprised by how empty it was. New Years eve we stayed at the house for some drinks and fireworks but wanted to see how the crowd was on saturday night out of curiosity.

So we went down to Manny's around 9pm to see what the crowds were like and there was not a single person there. Not 1. No cars parked down the road and nobody at Pink Cadillac. Most of the smaller bars were not even open.

Typically on a Saturday night of a holiday weekend the strip is PACKED with cars and people. This year, not 1. Did anybody else notice it to be slow? Do you think it's because of the new passport requirements?

I sure hope the crowds pick up as I'd hate to see any of the small shops, restaurants, bars or little hotels shut down as a result of the new passport laws.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
We went to the famous New Year dinner at Black Dog and there were quite a few people there with reservations a few more with out one but waiting to see if they get seated. from there we went to Pitaya and recieved the New Year with a bang and a nice fire at the beach in front of the building, they had a small crowd but very nice and friendly people, we closed the place around 3 am

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
There was a good crowd at BooBar on the Malecon for New Year's eve.....they had good, steady business throughout the weekend, but yes, it was pretty deserted. I didn't get out to the condo area (Chango's) to see if there was any activity. Figured that I'd give my business to places I frequent normally. I was able to pull into the malecon and get a parking space without waiting.

Mary's was pretty deserted by 8pm on Wed. evening....but they did serve me, even though they were cleaning up getting ready to close.:thumbsup:

kazpilot25

Yeah sounds about right, places were full on or around new years but the usual places were deserted when compared to regular holiday crowds. It's kinda sad to think about it.

Do you think it's because of the passport law? Maybe the economy? Probably Both.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I think both and as you can read in other threads it seems that some people, that normally have been even coming to RP, still have the fear the media distributed a couple of years ago!!

X-Coastie

Well Known Member
Thirsty Parrot had a good crowd. Boobar was slow in my opineon. Inside of the Sandbar had a good crowd, The weekend seemed very dead. People that I know are short on money and did not want to spent the money. The trailer folks are gone and many stay in the condo area. I heard that many were worried about drinking and driving and stayed in. I did not hear one excuese of violence for a reason not to come down.