Newbee

Been lurking in the forum enjoying everybody's posts for a while, decided to write my own! I'm heading down to Rocky Point this weekend to do a little fishing, mostly from shore. I've had some luck in the past fishing from a kayak in front of Las Conchas, but I think I might venture out to La Pinta this weekend. Hope to have some pics to post next week!

I also hope to charter a panga Sunday morning if there is anyone looking for two extras to join their group!

Be carefull... my wife and I were just out there last week and the road to the estuary is getting very soft and there are some deep sandy spots... I would suggest going out in a 4WD or take an air pump so you can let some air out of your tires and pump them back up for the ride home...

de nada Catching Nemo... if you do get to go have a good time... La Pinta is such a cool place, if you see the older gentleman who is the watchman out there say hello for me... a while back I was out there with some friends and as we were loading our finds of the day and getting ready to leave he flagged us over to where he and his family were having a fish fry and they invited us to join them... they had it all from carne asada to fresh caught fish fried in a disco... we ended up staying for another couple of hours or more and had a great time chit chatting with him and his family... infact all the fishermen out there are quite friendly and will be happy to shoot the poop with you, that is if you can speak a little espanglish like I do...

Another funny thing... since I'm a diver I noticed all the pangas rigged for hooka divers and I asked the old watchman where were all of his black pearls... he gave me a puzzled look, like how do you know I have pearls..? I told him I was a diver and that I noticed all the pen shells laying around and how I have found black pearls in them... well that did it, he wandered off into his trailer and came back out proudly displaying a plastic Tic Tac container in which he had his cache of pearls... most of them were seed pearls (tiny) but they were pearls non the less...

Mark...I've been out there several times...but recall that there was a caretakers house on the left side as you entered, with a gate that was always closed....is this another entrance?

Joe the entrance you're talking about is further down the paved road and it is private land now the gate is closed and a while ago when I was going out there the people in the house told me that I needed to go back to kilometer marker 32 and take that road down to the estuary...

Joe the entrance you're talking about is further down the paved road and it is private land now the gate is closed and a while ago when I was going out there the people in the house told me that I needed to go back to kilometer marker 32 and take that road down to the estuary...
Muchas gracias!

WOW! What a great weekend. I stayed away from La Pinta, too chicken to test out the "quick sand" with my 2 wheel drive truck. Didn't matter, because the fishing in front of our rental house in Las Conchas was incredible.

I launched my kayak on Saturday morning in perfect conditions. I paddled out about 100 yards past a line of bait fish, threw out a small white "Squid" jig on a light 6 lb set up. Pulled in fish after fish, all of the same species - goldspotted bass or something. Lot of fun on the small gear, but I wanted to catch something different. I tied on a generic rapala from Bass Pro, and on my first cast hooked something big - my first Corvina! Nice fish, actually jumped into the Kayak when I pulled it up close. Next cast, another nice Corvina. Finally, after catching about another 20 fish in a row (Triggers and bass) I hooked a another giant Corvina. He took me for a little ride, and just when I tried to lift him into the Kayak my line snapped. My fault for using such a light set-up. I did get a good look at him though, very nice fish for being that close to shore.

I skipped renting a panga on Sunday because I had so much fun in the Kayak on Saturday. Unfortuantely, the sea was angry on Sunday and it was pretty tough fishing from a Kayak. Still pulled in one more smaller corvina and a ton of bass. I still want to get down to La Pinta and check out the scene there, but overall it was a great weekend of fishing! Thanks for sharing all the tips and experiences!

I hope to have some pictures up soon!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
wow! What a great weekend. I stayed away from la pinta, too chicken to test out the "quick sand" with my 2 wheel drive truck. Didn't matter, because the fishing in front of our rental house in las conchas was incredible.

I launched my kayak on saturday morning in perfect conditions. I paddled out about 100 yards past a line of bait fish, threw out a small white "squid" jig on a light 6 lb set up. Pulled in fish after fish, all of the same species - goldspotted bass or something. Lot of fun on the small gear, but i wanted to catch something different. I tied on a generic rapala from bass pro, and on my first cast hooked something big - my first corvina! Nice fish, actually jumped into the kayak when i pulled it up close. Next cast, another nice corvina. Finally, after catching about another 20 fish in a row (triggers and bass) i hooked a another giant corvina. He took me for a little ride, and just when i tried to lift him into the kayak my line snapped. My fault for using such a light set-up. I did get a good look at him though, very nice fish for being that close to shore.

I skipped renting a panga on sunday because i had so much fun in the kayak on saturday. Unfortuantely, the sea was angry on sunday and it was pretty tough fishing from a kayak. Still pulled in one more smaller corvina and a ton of bass. I still want to get down to la pinta and check out the scene there, but overall it was a great weekend of fishing! Thanks for sharing all the tips and experiences!

I hope to have some pictures up soon!

pics or it didnt happen

I like the video and it confirms I had been going to the right place. I fished from shore right at this zone in the winter with no luck. Where is the best spot to fish from shore in this area???