off topic - solar hot water

joester

2 salty dawgs
this is not exactly rocky point talk - but I was hoping maybe someone could give me some tips - do's and don'ts.
we're shopping for solar hot water for our home - we are in an all-electric home.
anyone have experience with solar hot water systems?
I'm seeing a lot of types - passive and active - tankless, heat pump (I don't think that fits our needs). I was told to be sure we get a water filtering system installed if we go tankless -
Tempe has a lot of crap that builds up with the water.
I'd like the system to be as energy-efficient as possible, and I see some of the federal tax credits are going to expire at the end of the year - so I don't have the luxury of a lot of time to learn everything I should know.
I know there's a lot of resourceful and creative folks here, and I really don't want to go the RP route of just a black plastic tank, so that suggestion is out also.
we really want to eliminate the traditional hot water heater we have, getting rid of the potential for another one going bad and leaking is one reason, but saving $$ and being a little greener is the main reason.
Hopefully someone can help - I'll thank you with pomegranite margaritas on the Mirador beach! (there - I've tied the topic to Rocky Point! ) :lol:
thanks

Terry C

This has nothing to do with what joester wants to do but,
You know how your always wait for hott shower water (if your not house looped) this is a neat thing. In short, you hook a part up to the water heater and a valve at the furthest bathromm away and hott water 24/7 anytime/anywhere.

Google ,,,,, grundfos comfort system

I found it in Goodyear for $250.00

joester

2 salty dawgs
thanks -
the return loop would be some trouble, with our home being slab on grade - the waterlines are in the slab, so we probably won't go that route. the heat pump is an alternative we have looked at but the system still uses a conventional hot water tank for storage, and that's one part we want to remove. tankless seems to be our best option, now to decide on what type of filtering system to set up to keep that tankless heater from getting filled with deposits and corrosion.
thanks again, I'll keep looking. I'll post later this fall what we end up using, so perhaps others can benefit from the research done.

joester

2 salty dawgs
Jaime -
thanks -
I've talked to one of our local solar companies, and they're looking into maybe just powering a tankless hot water heater with solar power, and not really having solar hot water - just the power would be solar.
like I said, lots of options to wade thru.
thanks for all your input everyone - have a great weekend!

F

FIESTAFROG

Get a 55 gallon barrel in the backyard. roll pipe around the inner of it and pipe it to your plumming in the house. fill the barrel with wood and make a huge fire. Now you have hot water! You can even do side by side barrels with one full of ice for cold water!

Jim

I found 2 4x8 used solar hot water panels for $50 and installed them on my roof in PP. I have also done alot of research on using my exsisting hot water heater. I have not as of yet hooked it all up as it is too hot to get up on the roof to to the soldering. I am thinking maybe October or so. Awhile ago, I bought a 5th wheel which had 3 large solar panels and a charge controller on it. I now have the trailer rented but have removed the solar stuff. One I have hooked up to a radiator fan in my boat house which runs any time there is sunshine. It helps a bit to keep the hot air out of the ceiling area. The other I use to charge the boat batteries. The third I am saving for the circulation pump on the solar water panels. I did buy a 12V pump which is made specifically for this purpose. I don't remember the brand but if anyone is interested, I will dig it out and share. I still don't know how it will work but I am optimistic and all I have read says it will work fine. I do not plan on disconnecting the gas because if I want a nightime or very early morning shower, the water may not be warm enough for me.

dmcauley

Call a plumber- I would be able to tell you exactly what to do if I knew what you wanted. Jaime is right for the products but as for myself solar is not the answer. With solar you will still need a tank and as for tankless, one unit costs more than 5 tanks. PM me, we are almost neighbors.

joester

2 salty dawgs
done quite a bit of research into this - had a couple companies come to our home -
and this is what I've learned:
tankless for homes that are just electric are not cost-effective.
as to solar hot water - you have 2 basic tyoes - passive, and active.
we want to make it as simple as possible,a nd also remove our existing hot water heater to eliminate future leaks and the inevitable replacement (again and again).
we found a rooftop all in one heater from Solahart - we're pretty sure we'll go with that unit.
here's the link -

http://www.solahart.com/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1

made in Australia - about $6200 before any discounts and tax credits, down to about 1700 or thereabouts after all the credits and rebates.
it has a 20 amp element built into to thank for when the hot water reaches below 122 degrees, but you can also shut it off, where you only use the panles to heat the water - no elec.
local company will install - Heliocol Green Energy, in Tempe. next thing we'll need to find before installation, is a good water filtering system to keep the unit from getting all the crap in our Tempe water into it.
so far, so good. looks like the fed tax credits will get extended - passed Senate, needs House approval which is expected.

J

Jamie75

Joester..that price seems good! I am glad you chose the product I sell! We are actually pitching it to Pulte Homes in Tucson next week. It's a hell of a unit..best one out there! Keep me updated on getting a filtration system. Check out this site... www.thescalesolution.com It's the latest and great... ;)

jerry

http://builder-implode.com/

This site can keep subs from falling into the giant shitpile. We just missed getting ahead of ourselves by buying a bunch of materials (credit of course) and in the nick of time we found out the developer wasn't paying the subs etc. Pulte doesn't look too bad on the implodometer

J

Jamie75

Thanks for the link. We are not a sub though. We are a Manufacturers Rep...totally different. I will use that info you provided...thanks!

jerry

Jamie I just read that the Solar taxcredits renewal was added to the 700 billion dollar stock broker bailout bill. I do like a little frosting on my dog turd!

dmcauley

Good idea on the filtering system- With out it you'd have many more leaks than a water heater-
My opinion of solar water heaters is not very high but I wish you good luck

joester

2 salty dawgs
some type of fine filter to remove all the crap in our Tempe water has got to be a good idea.I need to research what types would be best - maybe down to a 3-5 micron size.

J

Jamie75

jerry said:
Jamie I just read that the Solar taxcredits renewal was added to the 700 billion dollar stock broker bailout bill. I do like a little frosting on my dog turd![/quot

:lol: