OK - QUESTION! Passport issues!

LesHodge

So, we have planned a trip to RP. Me, my husband, our 2 kids, 9 years, and 5 years old, my mom, and her boyfriend. This will be out first time to RP. We all either have a passport or a passport card, EXCEPT my husband. I have been reading posts on here saying it is fine to just bring his birth certificate and DL. We live in CO and are flying into Phoenix, then driving down from AZ where my mom lives. So I don't want to take the chance of ruining everyone's vacation if he is not able to get to Mexico or back for that matter. BTW...we are traveling the beginning of April.

ALSO, not sure if this matters at all but me , my mom, and her boyfriend are caucasian. My husband is black, and obviously our kids are mixed. I have heard that some of the BP agents sometimes harass different races for different reasons????

Please give me some feedback, thanks!

Landshark

Well Known Member
That is correct, they will let him back in the US with just a BC & DL, but with a warning & a slap on the wrist. Since everyone else has passports, I assume he is planning to apply for one. Why not do it now, asap. Probably get it in time, & if not, explain that at the border and show them copies of the application. As far as racism goes, that won't be an issue. If you are looking for more info on this, search this forum. This has been discussed many times at lengths. Enjoy your first visit!

wildtoucan

Well Known Member
We just crossed a couple of days ago andthevehicle in front of us had only dl andhe got a good talking to and held our kine up for quite awhile. You can apply for pp or pp card and if you dont have it in time you can show the receipt along with your dl.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
We just crossed a couple of days ago andthevehicle in front of us had only dl andhe got a good talking to and held our kine up for quite awhile. You can apply for pp or pp card and if you dont have it in time you can show the receipt along with your dl.
WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) gave the guys at the border a "hassle" tool. It (WHTI, until the constitution is changed) cannot deny you reentry into your country of origin (the USA). You need to provide reasonable proof that you were born in the USA. They (Border Patrol) know pretty much who you are before you get to the gate, Your plates have been scanned, your car has been density checked and they even have a photo of you before you get to the gate. The hassle is for "enforcement" reasons and unnecessary IMHO.

Maybe that's why on the Mexico side there is a sign just before you get to the port of entry that says "End of NO Hassle zone"

jerry

Well Known Member
Don't worry about it for a second.Sometimes I just used my dl (told them my dog tore it up)just to stick it to the man.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Bring extra picture ID's as it seemed to help us. My son and I crossed this past Wednesday and like kids, we forgot our passports. The guards made us pull over to the right for a full auto inspection (they found two rogue tangerines) put us in the sequester room inside the building and asked us questions while another guard searched us on their database of passport holders. The scrutiny added 45 minutes to our crossing but they let us go.

mis2810

Well Known Member
Crossing in they won't ask to see your passport/ID. You will have to stop on the US side just before you cross into Mexico, and they'll most likely ask you if you are carrying more than $10,000 in cash or any guns. When you actually cross into Mexico you'll go into the Nothing to Declare lane, and as you drive up it will automatically trigger the red light/green light. If you get the green you just keep going, if you get the red, you'll pull over to the left and they'll ask you a few questions - where are you going, any food you're bringing in, etc.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Bring extra picture ID's as it seemed to help us. My son and I crossed this past Wednesday and like kids, we forgot our passports. The guards made us pull over to the right for a full auto inspection (they found two rogue tangerines) put us in the sequester room inside the building and asked us questions while another guard searched us on their database of passport holders. The scrutiny added 45 minutes to our crossing but they let us go.
I don't know about you LesHodge, but this doesn't sound like a fun time to me. Do yourself a favor and apply for a passport or passport card today. The last thing I ever need is a bunch of stress on the way home after a relaxing vacation!

Roberto

Well Known Member
I crossed two days ago, the agent was a black guy. Very nice and friendly. Many people cross without a passport but have an original birth certificate and all the current photo ID you can muster.

LesHodge

Well wish us luck! We all have passports/cards except for my husband. He cannot get one due to child support arrearage. Don't judge :) He lost his job a few years back and got behind but is catching up. Should be able to get one by next year.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Well wish us luck! We all have passports/cards except for my husband. He cannot get one due to child support arrearage. Don't judge :) He lost his job a few years back and got behind but is catching up. Should be able to get one by next year.
Hmm, not my business but if there are outstanding, unresolved, legal issues there can be a problem at the border. One person reported beig briefly detained due to an outstanding traffic ticket ??

LesHodge

There are no legal issues, he has a payment plan set up. But, maybe you are right it could possibly lead to a problem. :-(

Landshark

Well Known Member
If there are no legal issues, there won't be a problem...period. Relax & look forward to your vacation. Rocky Point is an amazing place with many things to offer to both young & old. Many fall in love with the area and return over & over again. Like me! :)