Paint advice

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I would like to know which brands of paint are the most durable for PP weather. I'm going to paint my sundeck and porch and want it to last as long as possible. Thanks.

YumaJames

Well, if you buy it in the States, I highly recommend Duramax from Lowes. It's expensive, but it has a lifetime guarantee. And I mean a real lifetime guarantee, when you buy the paint Lowes signs a contract/guarantee with you that if it chips, fades, whatever, they'll fix it. Using an airless sprayer I painted the outside of my previous house with it and loved it, its an unusual paint because it just about goes on like a thin sheet of colored plastic, it doesn't flake off like other paint, its like a thin coat 0f plastic. I sold the home a few months after painting it, and the appraiser asked where I got the paint, if fact I think he appraised my home a little higher because it had this paint. Like I said, its expensive, but you'll never paint the outside again.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Oh, my brain hurts. I just read about all the different paints Duramax has.....They have some pretty cool colors....

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Paint is one of the things, that can't be brought across the border, not saying you can't, but it may get confiscated
this is lowes paint on the floor of a house, I juzt finished, with a low gloss floor finish on top. Owner didnt want carpet, tile or wood...super easy to clean and 1000 feet cost around 150.00.

courtesy of carnac

Landshark

Well, if you buy it in the States, I highly recommend Duramax from Lowes. It's expensive, but it has a lifetime guarantee. And I mean a real lifetime guarantee, when you buy the paint Lowes signs a contract/guarantee with you that if it chips, fades, whatever, they'll fix it. Using an airless sprayer I painted the outside of my previous house with it and loved it, its an unusual paint because it just about goes on like a thin sheet of colored plastic, it doesn't flake off like other paint, its like a thin coat 0f plastic. I sold the home a few months after painting it, and the appraiser asked where I got the paint, if fact I think he appraised my home a little higher because it had this paint. Like I said, its expensive, but you'll never paint the outside again.
We used a product from Dunn Edwards that was like a thin plastic film, or like an elastomeric. Professionally applied, primer where necessary, all done by the book. It looked awesome when first applied even having a low sheen. After time it started developing small blisters, like everywhere, especially on the beach side of the house, walls, etc. Many of the blisters became huge, 24" in diameter, and eventually peeled off. The stucco under the blisters was even damaged. Turned out the paint couldn't "breath" and trapped moisture that caused all the problems. It was a huge mess that was a nightmare to re-do. When it was re-done we used a good quality Dunn Edwards "flat sheen" paint that didn't trap moisture and it has held up fine.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Bill, thanks for telling me...I didn't know....The list just keeps getting longer and longer of things you can't bring.......Comex it is......

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Not sure which would be best for a deck, but I painted stucco walls with the satin, it was excellent. .

courtesy of carnac

playaperro

El Pirata
paint advice from PP! Sherman Williams...
On the exterior, Prime with Luxon Primer. It's a sealer and primer that's supposed to lock in the salts and efforvence so they don't lift the paint, then put on two coats of paint (Ultra Duracion). I used comex last time, the white last but the colors fade, Damn "Brisa" eats everything...Sheman williams is on Benito

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
paint advice from PP! Sherman Williams...
On the exterior, Prime with Luxon Primer. It's a sealer and primer that's supposed to lock in the salts and efforvence so they don't lift the paint, then put on two coats of paint (Ultra Duracion). I used comex last time, the white last but the colors fade, Damn "Brisa" eats everything...Sheman williams is on Benito
I used Sherwin Williams on my house in PP and the colors did fade, bad.