Panaderia Cornejo (Bakery)

Hey Gang- was down in RP for the 1st time in 7 months with the wife and new baby boy. Had a great time and wanted to give a quick shout out to the Cornejo Panaderia (Bakery). We discovered this place on out last trip and have gotten hooked on their breads, doughnuts, and sweets. Almost every thing we've tried has been great, but we are especially hooked on their 'Birotes con Queso' which is a super soft bread roll filled with Philly cream cheese. They're 5 pesos apiece and we scarf em down on a daily basis. Anyway, I tried to show on the map how to get to each location. To get to the main location, you take Calle 13 east into town at the SailFish monument for about a mile and then make a left and its 2 blocks in on the left. Phone number of this location is: 638-383-4257
CORNEJO #1.jpg
The 2nd location is closer to Sandy Beach, and is 2 blocks off of Samuel Ocana. (Ocana is the street that takes you into town if you head east from the roundabout at the Circle K to the north of the Sandy Beach condos) You turn south about halfway between the railroad tracks and Benito Juarez (the main drag)- there is a Farmacia 'JC' on the corner of Ocana where you make the turn. Phone number number here is 638-383-7911
CORNEJO #2.jpg
I think I read a few negative comments about Cornejo in older posts but we love it and have made it a staple of every trip. Its great to have fresh bread and doughnuts to snack on. And they'll also make fresh hotdog or hamburger rolls if you request a day ahead of time with quantities. The main/original location has a wider selection of goods, but location #2 has the staples (like the cheese stuffed bread I mentioned) and is closer to Sandy Beach.

Last edited:
Marty,
Why did you have to post that, there goes my wifes diet and I better get on some blood sugar reducing meds after visiting them next trip down.;)

Have you tried their Bolito rolls? Good? I hear that Sam's Club Bolitos are great.

Landshark

Cornejo's is great! We used to go to the location in old port many years ago when Senior Cornejo was still with us. It's really cool the family has kept it going all this time, and maintained the quality. He would be so proud.

@brokenwave Yeah tell me about it- my wife is groaning that I'm ruining her diet while simultaneously asking if they have banana bread haha. She's Mexican and I asked her about the difference between Bolillos and Birotes (which I mentioned in my post- you can get them with or w/o cheese inside)- she claimed that they're essentially the same thing, but just called different things in different regions- basically "white bread" rolls . I actually found one more roll that made it back from our trip and took a picture: (they're probably about 5-6 inches long)
IMG_6436.JPG

playaperro

El Pirata
Looks like pan de yema con chocolate Marty, Birote in some regions is sour dough, goes great for breakfast toasted with butter, Birote & menudo for breakfast on a Sunday, have to setttle for guero canelo in Tucson.