Penasco Tourism Coordinator to interview on Rocky Point Ramblings Jan 19th

As Russ said in another thread, things are getting real interesting around here, and there are many current and future projects in the works.

Everyone interested in status reports for hearing the latest official word on the status of the various projects in this city should listen to Rocky Point Ramblings this Saturday, the 19th. My guest interviewee will be Miguel Guevara, Puerto Penasco Director of Tourism & International Relations. Miguel will update us and respond to questions posed via phone call to the studio or posted on Facebook. Find out more about:

Convention Center
Flights from Vegas
Home Port
NBC Penasco promo agreement
Boomerfest

And whatever else I might've overlooked. Hope you can join us.

I'm puzzled as to why there would be flights from Las Vegas and not Phoenix. Flights to and from Phoenix would give me more flexbility and allow my family to keep the vehicle and stay during the week. I am sure there are others who would do the same from conversations I have had. Rosie, can you ask that question of the Director of Tourism?

I think maybe it is because there are cheap flights to Vegas from all over the US so people from places other than AZ could discover RP. I know my family in OK is really excited about the idea. It is cheaper and easier (non-stop) to fly to Vegas from Tulsa and Oklahoma City than to fly to Phoenix or Tucson through DFW. I'm just guessing!!

I'm puzzled as to why there would be flights from Las Vegas and not Phoenix. Flights to and from Phoenix would give me more flexbility and allow my family to keep the vehicle and stay during the week. I am sure there are others who would do the same from conversations I have had. Rosie, can you ask that question of the Director of Tourism?
I'll gladly ask him. I suspect the reason is because Vegas is a major hub and inexpensive for Canadians to fly into. We really have a strong percentage of Canadians amongst our foreign residents and visitors. That's just my guess, though. I'll get you a real answer on Saturday. Will you be listening?

El Gato

Our Vegas kids are REALLY looking forward to those flights - so are we :)

Thanks Rosie for having him on. Should be extremely interesting. Just read about the package tours that Sonor is setting up. Think I understood that they will start at about 1000 pesos?

Our Vegas kids are REALLY looking forward to those flights - so are we :)

Thanks Rosie for having him on. Should be extremely interesting. Just read about the package tours that Sonor is setting up. Think I understood that they will start at about 1000 pesos?
Dunno...haven't seen that yet. Will you be listening to the show? You ask good questions, Julie. If you can't, then please forward me the questions you'd like answered.

El Gato

Dunno...haven't seen that yet. Will you be listening to the show? You ask good questions, Julie. If you can't, then please forward me the questions you'd like answered.
Hope we can get on this time - for some reason our radio has a mind of it's own if we are going to get through or get static! Maybe George attacks it - lord knows he is always after my computer and his paws turn on 'All Caps" constantly and he hits all sorts of other keys while he is at it - at least he keeps all 18 pounds of him off of the computer - usually. The phone is now in a drawer as he discovered how to take the receiver off and push buttons!

Think you have a pretty complete list of items to keep him really talking. Maybe they should invite us (like LadyJeeper & me) really long time visitors to Penasco to the ground breaking of the Home Cruise Port. I've been coming since 1948 - can anyone beat that?

Should be a wonderful and informative show - great way to start the new year.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
the hermosillo-penasco-vegas leg also has to factor in the number of mexican's that would like to fly in to vegas (especially those from the hermosillo area)

El Gato

Rosie, knowing you, you've already thought of this - but could you do a recap for those on the forum that can't catch your radio show? Know we would all enjoy it, even those who did get to listen in :) Many thanks in advance.

Why would I take a international flight from Phoenix? With all the hassels of getting to the airport early, customs and no car to use when you are down in Rocky Point. I would think that flights would be cheaper in and out of Vegas.

Rick
Cholla Bay

mis2810

Why would I take a international flight from Phoenix? With all the hassels of getting to the airport early, customs and no car to use when you are down in Rocky Point. I would think that flights would be cheaper in and out of Vegas.

Rick
Cholla Bay
People like you and I wouldn't do that. But there are lots of people that want to be encapsulated in their "safety bubble". Those people will go directly from Sky Harbor to their perceived extra safety of a dedicated shuttle ride from the airport in RP directly to The Mayan Palace where they never have to deal with the actual town of Puerto Penasco. They will never have to leave the Mayan Palace for anything during their trip, and then the Mayan Palace will shuttle them back to the airport.

Kea

Rosie,
I hope you figure out how to record & save your program again. I usually try to listen on my computer ( XHPPO - Sol 106.1 Puerto Penasco, SO - Listen Online ), or smart phone (TuneIn or RadioRama app). But I have plans for tomorrow & might not get to hear the whole thing. Would love to be able to listen later. I'm especially interested in the Las Vegas flights. Those would really help my family & friends here in TX!

mondone

Whitecaps
Rosie,
I hope you figure out how to record & save your program again. I usually try to listen on my computer ( XHPPO - Sol 106.1 Puerto Penasco, SO - Listen Online ), or smart phone (TuneIn or RadioRama app). But I have plans for tomorrow & might not get to hear the whole thing. Would love to be able to listen later. I'm especially interested in the Las Vegas flights. Those would really help my family & friends here in TX!
Would be great as we won't be able to listen today.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Rosy, FYI we also used to get 106.1 from Penasco across the water in San Felipe, I mentioned it to Russ a year or so ago. I mentioned used to get it, I assume they can still pick it up, We sold our house there in September, this time of the year there are lots of Canadiens and Americans in San Felipe, but I am sure they are unaware there is an english program available.

For me it has nothing to do with safety only the chance to extend my time and my family's time in PP. From what I see in my travels I am one of the few who still drives back and forth at night just to be able to wake up here and extends the day before having to leave. Depending upon flight schedules I could commute.

El Gato

For me it has nothing to do with safety only the chance to extend my time and my family's time in PP. From what I see in my travels I am one of the few who still drives back and forth at night just to be able to wake up here and extends the day before having to leave. Depending upon flight schedules I could commute.
Our kids & grandkids drive it at night depending on their schedules - we do too, although our night vision isn't that good so prefer not to be out on any roads at night.

Kea

So, what's the official scoop from the tourism coordinator?

Specifically, I would like to know more about the flights - is it just for a trial period again or will these be regular flights for "a while?" I know they could change in the future depending on usage - just curious about the current plans.
How often will the flights run? Daily / Weekly ...?

Thanks!

playaperro

El Pirata
Says here Flights start in May!

They invest a million and a half dollars just in promotion
By: Alberto Aldrete Valdez
PTO. PEÑASCO ARE.
Although last year was good to dry on visitation at this port, this 2013 looks to be better, given various circumstances that favor, as are the resources that will be used to promote tourism, the substantial public investment are carried out and improving the economic situation in general is already perceived, said the president of the Convention & Visitors Bureau, Hector Vasquez Market.
leader nongovernmental agency that said the OCV may already have around 1 million and a half dollars to be sought this year for tax of 2% lodging, that henceforth he charged the State Government resources to be invested fully in national and international tourism promotion, which added to the flight commercial Hermosillo, Puerto Peñasco-Las Vegas, who will begin this May as planned, the start of construction of the Home Port, the conclusion of the Convention Center, expansion of the coastal road to Caborca, among other things, will be factors positive that tourism detonate again.
Vasquez Market explained that last year Peñasco visited more than a million U.S. tourists only, so this year that number will increase by 50% easily, explaining that the million and a half dollars spent on promotion is calculated, 60% will go to the international market and 40% to the national, since the domestic market has grown significantly in the last three years.
explained that these funds will be deposited in a trust, will be monitored by the ISAF, and is confident that as a tax to be mandatory, whose collection of tools has the State Treasury, all you have to pay hospices as they do with other taxes .
said that last year $ 800,000 was invested in tourism promotion, so this year will double this investment and that necessarily be reflected in the flow of visitors.
Regarding commercial flights touch Aeromexico Peñasco, Vasquez said Market already has a $ 160,000 fund to ensure a long stay, resources will serve to bolster the start of operations, by way of grant, upon agreement to be had with the airline, with plans to start next May .
Regarding negative reports (travel warning) that annually makes the U.S. government to its people, said every February and the issues are almost always negative, but there are ways to counter them with good publicity, with better security and with the good advertising that make the mouth more than 5 000 gringos living in this port.
abounds that the crime rate in this county compared to other tourist destinations and the number of visitors is imperceptible, it gives confidence to tourists.
He explained that this year's tourist season ahead, because it is earlier spring break and Easter, which is why advertising and should be circulating in the neighboring country.
When asked his opinion on the suspension of the carnival, Market Vasquez felt that this celebration is for people of Peñasco, for those who live here, because of the inconsistency of its conclusion, which sometimes does and sometimes not, that could bear fruit with a long term vision, as in the case Mazatlan, Guaymas and Veracruz.
reported also that according to statistics carried in May, June and July are the busiest months for tourism, although lack strengthen arrival weekday because weekends are high Hotel occupancy.
indicated also that the rains and the bridge under construction in Sonoyta affected much for us to visit more tourism, though that will not happen again, since it has already been completed with the work.
Comments: No comments

" ANY SERVICES ARE WITH TRANSPARENCY ICRESON, SAYS ITS HOLDER CLAUDIA ANDRADE