Penasco's Finest

Estero

Ok, a Penasco local and friend has taken a very senior position within the Penasco PD and I would like to bring him a bullet proof vest like the ones the Phx PD use. The current ones are very very heavy and old and thus not worn regularly like in the U.S. I am no expert in these but this one looks like it would be about perfect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Concealable-Bullet-Proof-Vest-Stab-Proof-Body-Armor-NIJ-IIIA-Made-In-USA-/261348985854?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd99d0bfe

This guy is a family man and very pro Gringo and does his best to make sure that we remain safe and are not needlessly hassled. I am going to bring him one but on my drive back to San Diego yesterday I thought about posting this on the forum as a way for anyone interested to contribute. I'd like to get this ordered this week so I can bring it to him next week.

Any donations above the purchase price will go to Casa Hogar or for a Super Ley shopping spree for the Orphanage kids.

I will post the purchase receipt here as well as a full accounting of any donation overages so everything is above board.

Donations can be made via paypal to [email protected] or jim at sandiegoventures.com

Let's see how this crowdfunding works!

I would check the legal aspect on having one in yor posession the U.S. These also have a limited lifetime with exposure to sweat and sunlight. FYI

Another thing to consider before taking one to Mexico.

WARNING: U.S. EXPORT CONTROL LAWS
Level III and IV armor (Rifle Plates)and
Kevlar Helmets with Rails and/or Night Vision Shrouds added

fall under the jurisdiction of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and are subject to the export control laws of the U.S. Government. Export or retransfer of Rifle Plates or Helmets with Accessories by any means to any foreign end user, or for any other end use, whether in the U.S. or abroad, without the written approval of the U.S. Department of State, is prohibited.
There is often an exemption for a U.S. person taking their personal protection with them in their luggage, and returning the armor to the US. For the requirements, click here. One of the forms required may be found here.
Penalties for transgressions of export regulations can be severe, so be sure to exercise careful due diligence.

Estero

Yes the ones that are currently in use have often exceeded their shelf life, hence the need for a new one. A few years ago a Los Angeles sheriff donated a bunch of vests to Mexico. I also spoke to 2 manufacturers and they export vests regularly to Mexico and Central and South America so no issues there. There is a distinction between military and what they classify as civilian.