Phone Scam - Local twist

EarlM

Hello All,

Just wanted to share an experience I just had with a caller on our land line in Rocky Point...

I had a caller tell me he is my "neighbor John from down the street", he spoke English perfectly, he asked "if I could do him a favor and help him out". His story was that apparently he was stuck in Sonoyta on his way back from AZ to pick up some things, the police had pulled him over, his MX insurance was expired and they were going to impound his truck.

He had some excuse about not being able to pay the insurance unless he was in the "postal code of Rocky Point" and he asked if I could "take care of it at the local Oxxo down the street", it was "only 2000 pesos" and he would pay me back in about an hour when he got here. I told him I could not and that I did not know him. He got rude and said I was "not a very good neighbor" and hung up.

So, I believe this is a scammer looking for folks to wire cash at the Oxxo near them to some stranger at another Oxxo somewhere. Since I did not follow through with the scam, I do not know what he would have asked me to do at the Oxxo.

The person on the phone sounded American and he knew my first name (The land line is in my name with TelMex). I guess he figured we lived with a bunch of other gringos and would know someone named John to make the story believable.

Just a heads up to all. Scammers are everywhere, even in our sunny shrimp-filled paradise.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I use OXXO a lot to make payments because you can pay almost anything there. I don't think I would pay to an account that I didn't initiate. so good on you for turning him down. Yes there are scammers everywhere. but at least here I can watch the sunset over the Sea of Cortes after I figured out to foil them....(said with cold beer in hand)

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I use OXXO a lot to make payments because you can pay almost anything there. I don't think I would pay to an account that I didn't initiate. so good on you for turning him down. Yes there are scammers everywhere. but at least here I can watch the sunset over the Sea of Cortes after I figured out to foil them....(said with cold beer in hand)
Typical