PHX - RP Flights!

Landshark

I hope it works out as well. For me it doesn't make sense, but that's just me. If you think about it, 30 minutes to get to Scottsdale Airpark, 30 minutes to check bags and get on board, 80 minute flight, 30 minutes to unload and retrieve baggage, then you have to rent a car or get a taxi and drive to town so add 30 minutes. Basically at least 3 1/2 hours, $350 for the flight, and the cost of a rental car or taxi. If money isn't an issue it might be ok but there's still a lot of moving parts. Makes the drive sound easy.

Roberto

I hope it works out as well. For me it doesn't make sense, but that's just me. If you think about it, 30 minutes to get to Scottsdale Airpark, 30 minutes to check bags and get on board, 80 minute flight, 30 minutes to unload and retrieve baggage, then you have to rent a car or get a taxi and drive to town so add 30 minutes. Basically at least 3 1/2 hours, $350 for the flight, and the cost of a rental car or taxi. If money isn't an issue it might be ok but there's still a lot of moving parts. Makes the drive sound easy.
Oh no ! Now you've done it. You'll be accused of being a nattering nabob of negativsm !!!:eek::eek::eek:

Terry C

I still think down the road that the airport and the big boat dock will benefit the Mexican population more that the Gringos from the US.
There are a lot of things that need done before either of them take off!
A Taxi from the airport to Rocky Point on that road ? #forgetaboutit #ineedtirestodrivethisroad #waitimissedtheturnoff

ben21

Obviously not for everyone, I even think the $350 is a tad too high. $299 might be a little more attractive. That being said...

- I don't live 30 minutes from Scottsdale Airpark, more like 10.
- I don't see how it would take 30 minutes to get off a 9 seat plane and grab your bags? I've done it before, more like 3-5 minutes.
- Considering I'm usually at least a few dos xx deep when down there, I usually enjoy taking taxis and leaving the car parked. Also nice meeting the different drivers, getting to know their story, etc.
- Part of the cost is offset by not paying ~$65 for insurance + gas
- More money saved by not paying bribes for not speeding through Sonoyta
- Not having to wait in really long lines heading in and out of MX on busy weekends

Again, not for everyone, especially families and people that don't have M-F 9-5 jobs. But for a little 9 seat plane, there could be a market.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Obviously not for everyone, I even think the $350 is a tad too high. $299 might be a little more attractive. That being said...

- I don't live 30 minutes from Scottsdale Airpark, more like 10.
- I don't see how it would take 30 minutes to get off a 9 seat plane and grab your bags? I've done it before, more like 3-5 minutes.
- Considering I'm usually at least a few dos xx deep when down there, I usually enjoy taking taxis and leaving the car parked. Also nice meeting the different drivers, getting to know their story, etc.
- Part of the cost is offset by not paying ~$65 for insurance + gas
- More money saved by not paying bribes for not speeding through Sonoyta
- Not having to wait in really long lines heading in and out of MX on busy weekends

Again, not for everyone, especially families and people that don't have M-F 9-5 jobs. But for a little 9 seat plane, there could be a market.

I like your style sir

It would be an interesting race...two people leave from same destination in Gilbert at the same time. One heads to Scottsdale Airpark the other on the road to PP. Who would arrive at home on North Beach first...

ben21

It would be an interesting race...two people leave from same destination in Gilbert at the same time. One heads to Scottsdale Airpark the other on the road to PP. Who would arrive at home on North Beach first...
What/Where is North Beach? Isn't that the proposed project that scammed a bunch of people? If I recall that was out by Mayan Palace. If it is, flying would definitely be faster by about an hour. Back in the day it was possible to get to RP in 3.5 hours. Personally, I haven't been able to hit that in a long time. There are constant speed traps around Ajo, the checkpoint on the US side going into MX, the whole Sonoyta scam that forces you to crawl through there, etc... Unless you're driving like 95 MPH, I just don't see how it's possible to make the trip under 4 hours anymore.

Landshark

Time between flying and driving probably wouldn't be different enough to make much difference. Like Russ mentioned before, for guys coming down for a golf weekend at the Mayan who can afford it flying makes sense. Same can be said for those coming down to hang out at Sandy Beach, take taxis out for the evening, etc. For us, driving is the only way that will work as we bring a lot of stuff. Our usual routine is stopping at Sea Products for shrimp and fish, the carniceria for meat, Super Ley for groceries, and the fruiteria for produce. Then we head out to Encanto for our time at the beach. Usually we don't even go back to town unless we run out of something. It's all about being on the beach and grilling up some great dinners. Everybody has a different agenda, hope the flights are successful for those who will enjoy them.

Last edited:

ben21

Couple more scenarios off top of my head where they could pull in passengers...

- Full time residents, retirees that have friends which would love to visit them on the beach, but don't want to make an unknown drive
- Mom has the kids at their condo for 3-4 weeks during the summer, but Dad needs to come back and forth for work
- Time share/condo marketing. "We'll fly you down, put you up in a condo if you here our pitch"

I fear the timing might be bad given that the slow season is quickly approaching. More than anything, success will be determined by what time of marketing and effort they put into this. Hopefully it's more than a mention in the local newspaper.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
This is not for the middle market. Think of an affluent family in north scottsdale that does not want to drive to Rocky Point. $350pp + transportation expenses in Mexico is not an issue to certain segments. To some it is about convenience or the thought of avoiding danger by not driving to Mexico.

ben21

Slow season? I think it's just getting started! We love May and June.
We do too... Was referring to July/August/Sept.

Hopefully they can get some traction and make it through that time.

Also just got to realizing that Westwind Air is very well respected tour operator operating flights over Sedona, Grand Canyon, etc... Run a Google search for Grand Canyon flights from Phoenix and they're everywhere. Very good reviews as well. So... If all the traffic they get to their website takes a look at their latest offering to Mexico, they could have a built in base of 2-4 seats per week just from Phoenix tourists. Tack on a few more locals and the thing could work.

Couple more scenarios off top of my head where they could pull in passengers...

- Full time residents, retirees that have friends which would love to visit them on the beach, but don't want to make an unknown drive
- Mom has the kids at their condo for 3-4 weeks during the summer, but Dad needs to come back and forth for work
- Time share/condo marketing. "We'll fly you down, put you up in a condo if you here our pitch"

I fear the timing might be bad given that the slow season is quickly approaching. More than anything, success will be determined by what time of marketing and effort they put into this. Hopefully it's more than a mention in the local newspaper.
I just wonder if Scottsdale Airpark is an international port and is there a custom office there, or will they have to stop in Tucson on thier way into country.

Landshark

I just wonder if Scottsdale Airpark is an international port and is there a custom office there, or will they have to stop in Tucson on thier way into country.
Yes, they have a customs office. I wonder about customs at the airport in RP. No offense but I picture the customs guy sleeping out back under a mesquite tree cause he doesn't have anything else to do!