Pic from the top of Pinacate

playaperro

El Pirata
So how far in can or do you drive to get to the crater? I also can walk 4 0r 5 miles with a compass, where will that get me round trip?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
So how far in can or do you drive to get to the crater? I also can walk 4 0r 5 miles with a compass, where will that get me round trip?
Once you go through the gate at Nayarit you are officially in the reserve. From the gate to the crater (Elegante) you will drive about 20 miles on good hard pack (mostly) road. My 15 passenger van has zero problems on this road. Low clearance vehicles will have to observe precaution however. Once at the Elegante you must now continue on the loop road not going out the same way you came in as 2 way traffic is too dangerous (there was a wreck there a couple of weeks ago) it is an amazing day trip. Take a camera take water and have a great day!

Roberto

It's also a nice short hike from the visitors center to the dunes area. Quite spectacular and the weather is perfect for a hike. Yes don't forget water and a nice crisp apple form the Sinaloa Frutaria !!

If planning to climb Pinacate the drive from the visitors center to what we call "base camp" at the Cono Rojo campsite is about 10 miles and requires 4 wheel drive. From Cono Rojo the park has an established route that takes you around the backside of Pinacate and is about a 7 mile hike one way. It took me 4 trips and attempts to figure and define my route. We leave Cono Rojo and traverse a wide lava flow, go straight south along Carnegie peak and approach Pinacate from the East. The entire preserve is very pristine, harsh, beautiful in its own way and a great place to day hike. You do not need to climb to the top to view a lot of fantastic geology and untouched desert.