Puerto Lobos Fishing

Ted

Lobos fishing report 3-10-10

One of those days-A guy did some grading at the house -ripped out the water line to the house, buried it and did not mention it when he collected his money. Three hours to repair, launch the boat - one of the batteries is dead - two hours later we get the crossed wires back together and head out to the first reef at 1:00 pm. Two break offs on jigs in 200 feet of water -then Keith starts chumming from the rough swell, took him back to firm soil-Kent and I go back out for some grouper bait -hook a nice halibut-no luck on the grouper reef-yellowtail start breaking in front of us one cast one fish -decide that is enough-head in. We fried the halibut for dinner it was fantastic!

Attachments

Ted

About getting to Lobos

By Land- the road to yGriega and Desemboque are narrow but pretty good - the last 25 miles or so is the new highway, turn off at the little painted sign "puerto lobos" and one mile of dirt road to town.
Should be no problem trailering a boat.
By Sea-it is a great trip to Lobos by boat from RP (have done it three times).
Here are the things you must know if you are coming by boat! You will have to anchor if staying over night. There is a whole bunch to learn about where and how to anchor. I have had several close calls.
Arturo operates the boat launcher and does a great job but sometimes you have to wait to get out of the water. (hails on channel 11)
There are a couple of little stores in town that carry most anything one might need for food and supplies. There are some cabins for rent-they are old and have out houses for toilets. Lobos has no electricity, no running water, no restaurants, no hotels.
Recently I am discouraged by what I am seeing here. There have been a lot of transient workers here for the new highway, the poverty stricken locals believe the new highway will bring prosperity and thus are fencing off every bit of land they can-even way out into the estuary, the amount of trash, junk and shacks everywhere is much worse. I don't know where it is headed.
However the fishing is great!