Ramons, Casa de Capitan, Mary's, Rosy's, Tacos Poblano

Well, we are just finishing up our week here. I wish I could be as positive as I was last year. I think this will be our last year here for awhile.

Just had the most disappointing dinner at Casa de Capitan's. Ordered the "Capitan's Especial". A little bit of steak, fish and shrimp. There was no seasoning, no sauces, not even a side of limes. The most boring, bland meal ever. I should have known, when all I saw were white faces, but it was our second try for a restaurant tonight and I was tired. We had gone earlier to La Curva and it just looked like a Garcia's or Manuel's back in Phoenix. And all white faces. We paid for our drinks there and left to hunt down something else.

My hubby took the kids to Rosy's this morning for breakfast. I asked him to bring me back an order of carne deshebrada. I wanted just a pile of meat. The waitress didn't understand and my hubby didn't check the box and I got meat scrambled with overcooked rubbery eggs. Really gross.

Ramon's last night was excellent. Everything was wonderful and our server was fun and gracious.

Tacos Poblano was good.

Ate at Guss's (Agustus?) Big place near the hotel on the way to Max's. The carne asada and pastor was good there, but I got a little skeeved out about the giant tray of condiments/salsas that I'm sure they reuse over and over. I mean who knows what fingers and double dipping have occurred? Sneezes? blech.

Max's was less than impressive as well. The pizza crust seemed like one of those pre-made jobbies.

Mary's (at the Malecon) was EXCELLENT. Ate there twice. Love the sauce that the shrimp is cooked in for the shrimp tacos. Also had "Avocado Surprise" which was avocado halves filled with shrimp salad. Very very tasty. And their shrimp cocktail never disappoints. All the ingredients seemed fresh and the preparations were interesting.

I bought some flounder to make tacos from a vendor at the Malecon. Opened it to make dinner and it was very gross smelling. Will probably not trust the fish vendors again.

I am feeling tired of the constant hassling for cash. My car was "washed" twice. You can't enjoy the beach without a parade of vendors. At lunch it is the little girls selling chicle, and the empanada vendors, and the rose vendors, and the mariaches wanting a piece. I pay a cleaning deposit for the end of my stay at Bella Sirena and yet, there is an envelope to tip housekeeping. They have done nothing this week except drop off new rolls of toilet paper and removed the trash. No fresh towels, nothing else. What the heck am I supposed to be tipping? I do understand that there is extreme poverty here. I tip generously going out to eat, I give a buck to the parking lot attendant at Super Ley, I tip the guy at Pemex, I buy some trinkets. But enough is enough. I don't feel good about being here. I feel guilty, and taken advantage of.

I have never had a good meal at Casa de Capitan. About the only thing they have going for them is the view. That's probably the draw for all of the flat-landers. I pretty much agree with the rest of your observations.

mis2810

I ate at Casa del Capitan for the first time last Friday. BORING food. The view is great. I'd heard all about how fantastic their Margaritas were so I tried one. BLECH!!!! Sure there's lots of tequila in it, but the rest of it was just sour. I'd go back there for a few beers and the sunset and that's about it. I haven't been to all the "usual places" - like Latitude, Max's, etc., but it's been my experience that all the places that cater to the "white faces" - as you put it - are never very good. Give me Pollo Lucas and Burros Longos anyday and I'm a happy camper.

We did eat at Rosy's on Saturday morning and I had the Huevos con Machaca and I thought it was good. My husband and our friends love the Huevos Rancheros there also.

It seems like there are more beach vendors this year than in years past. It does get old, but all the tourist beaches in Mexico are like that. Maybe you guys should think about going further south to Encanto, Dorada, Miramar, etc. - no beach vendors out there, right?

I, for one, love Del Capitan. Granted, I find most restaurant food to be over salted to my taste, and I am not a meat or fish eater. So what tastes bland to some is perfect for me. Their pico de gallo can't be beat. And granted, most people like sweet, daiquiri-type margaritas. I go for fresh ingredients in a more classic-style drink. So to me, I have yet to find a margarita in or near the Malecon that even approaches Del Cap's quality. Yes -- it is not gourmet food, but the whole experience -- views included -- keeps me going back.

AZRob

Well, we are just finishing up our week here. I wish I could be as positive as I was last year. I think this will be our last year here for awhile.

Just had the most disappointing dinner at Casa de Capitan's. Ordered the "Capitan's Especial". A little bit of steak, fish and shrimp. There was no seasoning, no sauces, not even a side of limes. The most boring, bland meal ever. I should have known, when all I saw were white faces, but it was our second try for a restaurant tonight and I was tired. We had gone earlier to La Curva and it just looked like a Garcia's or Manuel's back in Phoenix. And all white faces. We paid for our drinks there and left to hunt down something else.

My hubby took the kids to Rosy's this morning for breakfast. I asked him to bring me back an order of carne deshebrada. I wanted just a pile of meat. The waitress didn't understand and my hubby didn't check the box and I got meat scrambled with overcooked rubbery eggs. Really gross.

Ramon's last night was excellent. Everything was wonderful and our server was fun and gracious.

Tacos Poblano was good.

Ate at Guss's (Agustus?) Big place near the hotel on the way to Max's. The carne asada and pastor was good there, but I got a little skeeved out about the giant tray of condiments/salsas that I'm sure they reuse over and over. I mean who knows what fingers and double dipping have occurred? Sneezes? blech.

Max's was less than impressive as well. The pizza crust seemed like one of those pre-made jobbies.

Mary's (at the Malecon) was EXCELLENT. Ate there twice. Love the sauce that the shrimp is cooked in for the shrimp tacos. Also had "Avocado Surprise" which was avocado halves filled with shrimp salad. Very very tasty. And their shrimp cocktail never disappoints. All the ingredients seemed fresh and the preparations were interesting.

I bought some flounder to make tacos from a vendor at the Malecon. Opened it to make dinner and it was very gross smelling. Will probably not trust the fish vendors again.

I am feeling tired of the constant hassling for cash. My car was "washed" twice. You can't enjoy the beach without a parade of vendors. At lunch it is the little girls selling chicle, and the empanada vendors, and the rose vendors, and the mariaches wanting a piece. I pay a cleaning deposit for the end of my stay at Bella Sirena and yet, there is an envelope to tip housekeeping. They have done nothing this week except drop off new rolls of toilet paper and removed the trash. No fresh towels, nothing else. What the heck am I supposed to be tipping? I do understand that there is extreme poverty here. I tip generously going out to eat, I give a buck to the parking lot attendant at Super Ley, I tip the guy at Pemex, I buy some trinkets. But enough is enough. I don't feel good about being here. I feel guilty, and taken advantage of.

lightlystarched,

You need to rent a house on the beach so you can cook your own food to your liking. You sound like my mother in law. We eat at Casa de Capitan's ever time we go down. The food and service is so good I drop a big tip there. The venders that walk on the beach selling stuff may get a little aknowing but I tip my hat to them. I wouldnt make it one day doing that, walking on the sand lugging those things in the heat.

Maybe next vacation you take, try Down town Detroit. Then you will see the light and appreciate Rocky Point.

Well, yeah, we had planned on cooking. Bought tortillas, limes, butter, cabbage and avocado. And then we opened the fish we purchased. It was way past its prime.

And I usually like eating out for vacation. We usually go out for 1 big meal a day, 1 small meal, and then just have snacks around for other times.

We ate our first meal of the week at Tacos Brissas and it was great. I'm not afraid of local food. But after awhile its just the same carne asade/carne pastor (at the more affordable places) and not much else. I tried to find places that might have a more varied menu. We didn't do Pollo Lucas this year which would have been better than Casa del Capitan.

I really feel like this trip was a let down. I like trying varied local cuisine - that's a big draw of traveling for me. It just wasn't happening this time.

The second time my car was washed (first time was outside Tacos Brissas) outside La Curva, I just told the two teen boys "no" and shook my head. They made very angry motions and faces at me. I don't come on vacation to be abused by the locals.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I can sympathize with you, I bought 2 round trip tickets to Hawaii, rental car for 9 days, my friends condo was free.. We landed on the big island and I was in heaven..It went dowhill after that..after 3 days, I wanted to get back to Rocky Point.I had sold my business so at that time we were full time here...I paid 200.00 dollars to change each airline ticket, turned the rental car in and headed home..I just couldn't stand the place.. I haven't eaten at the Casa del Capitan since 2009, Rosy is a friend of ours, but I got sick twice in a row also about 2009 so that was that..It's a lot of work to put togther a vacation and not be able to enjoy it. But if it were me I wouldn't stick around. ..I would just give up and head home. I thought your report was good and fair.. People might take what you have written as an insult, I would look at it and fix it if they were my businesses......but they're not, so I guess it does'ent matter.......what I think....but what you think should matter.....It makes me wonder how many people like you come here and don't write about,but just simply never come back.......thanks for your post

courtesy of carnac

Last edited:

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Wow interesting comments. Whenever we go, and not often enough, we cook most of the time, but make it a point to venture out to our favorites places.

El Captain food is bland, but I believe it is because it is not the typical Mexican food we are used to in the US. We go for the view, the view, the view and of course the margaritas (which have always been very good!) ;)
My hubby loves Ramones fish fry.
I love Mar Blue on Sandy Beach. Sitting on the patio and enjoying a cocktail at sunset. Yummy!
We also try a new place every time we go, but these have been our favorites for the above reasons.

rplarry

Tacos Poblano was good.

Tacos Poblano was good.

Probably a good idea, as you noted, to take some time off from visiting Rocky Point. I think you may have been expecting La Jolla, on a Mexico budget.

I knew when I first started reading that this was going to be a "complainer" post. Glass half-empty.

That's ok. I agree, Casa del Capitan isn't Maestro's or Drinkwater's in Scottsdale, however they do have a few decent dishes. Just not all sodium'd up like in the US. Not the best food in the world, and if the food were "to die for", no one would get in with a view like that. I do disagree, the margs are very good and much better than the corn syrup margs you will find at most places in RP.

Go for drinks and appetizers and view at Capitan and then go to your favorite place without WHITE FACES afterwards for dinner. Which really what you are saying is that you were looking for a place with BROWN FACES.

Be bold and say what you really mean.

By the way, if you weren't so tainted by skin color, La Curva serves as many Mexicans as it does Americans/white faces. You should have given it a try and not judged so quickly by COLOR of skin. La Curva's food is always excellent....

Last edited:

apricot

Four places we hit every time we're down there: Pollo Lucas (first place we go to and usually go there at least twice), Casa del Capitan (we go for the shrimp dishes and the view, never tried the margaritas but intend to do that next time), La Curva (always good), and Wreck (we love the breakfast, only one item for breakfast on the menu and they don't open until 11:00 am, you can add a bloody mary to it for $2.00).

ADR

Was it a slow week down there? I have found over the years that on slow summer weeks, the food quality goes way down.
I am guessing that most places can't afford to throw out unused food, so it isn't very fresh when there aren't customers to turnover the food supply quickly. Just my opinion though.

I've only gotten sick twice, and it was the only 2 times i have been to Con Flavio. Although I know many people that swear by it.

I always try a new place if possible, but Mary's is as good today as it was 10 years ago when it had 4 tables. You cant go wrong with the baby clams at The Blue Marlin. Pane e Vino is excellent, as are both Ramon's, La Curva, the Sonoran Sea pool bar tacos for a quick lunch, Pollo Lucas, Pizza at Capones, etc. There are so many better choices that Captitan, you just have to ask around, and read reviews that are posted on this very site.

As far as vendors, last week we were overwhelmed with how many were on the beaches. More than I am used to seeing. It seemed endless. Times must be tough for them, so we tolerate them and say "no thank you" about a thousand times a day, but they have never been pushy, or scary, or demanding in any way.

"Car washes"? kids asking for change? Maids looking for a tip? again, just say "No thanks". They are trying to feed their family, just like you and I do, so try and give 'em a break. It's not like they are getting $11 an hour salary and still asking for tips. :)
Its not just Mexico, I get hit up every day when I walk my gf's dog downtown by the ASU campus for change, as well as every I-10 off ramp.

Last edited:

mis2810

We tried Mary's last week for the first time. I'm not a seafood eater, but my carne asada tacos were good. My husband had the Carlos V shrimp and said there were very good.

Reactions: ADR
This is the first time I have read any part of this thread.

In response to lightlystarched. How often do you visit our beloved Rocky Point? How many times have you been?
Haven't seen you around here on the forum before. Only 4 posts to your name.
It must suck to go out to what you think may be a nice night out for dinner and have a crappy meal. I was here over Circus Mexicus. Judging by the time of your post, I was just arriving when you left. My week was outstanding. We usually don't go out a lot as we save $$ by cooking at the condo. So I don't have as many restaurant reviews as you.
I'm sorry you have such a bad opinion of PP and will not be back.
Hope you give it another chance.

El Gato

In 1984 a group of us came down - some for the first time - and stayed at the Villa Granada. One was a college student, born and raised in Boston & attending Harvard. His nose was so far up in the air it is a wonder he had any idea of where he was walking. He couldn't believe that his Dad had brought him to this terrible, small, dusty place. Aunt Louisa handed him a Margarita and introduced him to some ASU students who were staying there.

The next morning he was still complaining about the lack of amenities - certainly wasn't up to Boston standards. But his new found ASU friends convinced him to join them for a day on the beach and riding dune buggies.

That afternoon we were all sitting in the courtyard having a drink, talking and listening to music. ASU & Harvard kids arrived from their day on the beach and headed for the showers. A little background info: Now, at that time in Penasco, water was about as rare as gold and half the time it was turned off at the hotel in order to conserve it. We continued enjoying ourselves under the massive Bouganvilla vine that covered the courtyard.

Shortly Harvard was out on the balcony, a towel wrapped around him, shampoo still in his hair, calling down to Louisa, "Please Louisa, five more minutes of water so I can get the soap off!" - this was said with a grin. His Dad, in shock, said "Is that my son - the Harvard snob!!!" She gave the kids five more minutes of water. Then they all joined us and, in Penasco fashion, it all turned into a lovely party for the rest of the afternoon.

By the next morning Harvard was pleading with his Dad to be able to stay another day. He no longer saw a small dusty town - instead he saw friends and a way of life that was so different from his, but beautiful in it's own right.

Penasco isn't Boston, nor Phoenix. It is still a land of manana. But when the service is slow, lean back and enjoy the view and conversations with old and new friends.

+1 on the well said, boy do I miss the Villa Granada, loved the Saturday afternoon specials they had. My wife's parents and their RP friends
would take us there every time we came down.