Ripoff on the Malecon

Went down yesterday to get some shrimp and was quoted 9 bucks a pound at Rocky's for the huge guys. 9 bucks was cheaper than anywhere else so the wife said ok and then put her 2 pound weight on the scale and the scale read almost 3 pounds. When confronted about the crooked scale another one was brought out from under the counter and that one read correct however now the shrimp price jumped to 10 bucks a pound! I ask why and the guy said it was because that was an American scale. Guess where we didn't buy shrimp.

Bob Oso

American scale...LOL!! real knee slapper!! blatantly ripping people off at +/-$10.00 a shot. Oh those fun loving whacky shrimp sellers.
Now I know where not to send people, who did you end up buying your shrimp from?

InkaRoads

cronopiador
the people from the malecon gets their shrimp from the big outfit by BK why don't you do the same????????, you will be paying much better prices for the same shrimp the difference is that you will get it from a reputable place rather than a guy that is ripping you off with or without an USA scale!!!!!!!!

ben21

This forum has numerous articles about where to buy legit shrimp in the market. If you spend a bunch of time down there, or have a place in RP then I understand going to the place you mention Inka. However, if you're bringing down people new to RP that want to buy some seafood to grill, taking them to a factory next to a Burger King just doesn't have much allure.

Run a forum search and a few different legit Malecon vendors seem to be trusted plus you'll get the cool scenery, views, activity, etc.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I agree Ben, going to the Malecon to buy fish is a fun cool thing to do. Be straight up with the vendors, it's easy, they are all pretty nice guys. Tell them that you want a fair measure at a fair price and do the deal. Many people want everything cheap, even below cost. The cheating scale issue is proof that people "feel" good about getting a better deal than anyone else. The shrimp cost what the shrimp cost. If they told you a fair price per pound was 10.00 usd and you argue that you can get it from the next guy for 8.00 per pound then you may just get what you pay for. 3/4 of a pound. Treat with respect and be treated with the same.

As far as the big seafood place, I have a group of RVers here this week and they all want to take 40-50 lbs back with them, this is a great way for them to do it and we sold a lot of shrimp there yesterday.

Estella

Went down yesterday to get some shrimp and was quoted 9 bucks a pound at Rocky's for the huge guys. 9 bucks was cheaper than anywhere else so the wife said ok and then put her 2 pound weight on the scale and the scale read almost 3 pounds. When confronted about the crooked scale another one was brought out from under the counter and that one read correct however now the shrimp price jumped to 10 bucks a pound! I ask why and the guy said it was because that was an American scale. Guess where we didn't buy shrimp.
If it is too good to be true then it is. This vendor works on short term basis pulling aggressive vending tactics like this, he will never establish reputation like that and will never have customer base. Some of that shrimp is not even Mexican, it is Asian farm frozen shrimp, it all depends from who and when you get it.

Landshark

OK, where is the big outfit by the BK?
It's called Sea Products and is on Sinaloa 1 block east of the Burger King that is on Benito Juarez. I agree the Malacon is a fun place to go and the experience of buying seafood there is unique, but the consistency of my purchases at Sea Products have sold me on buying exclusively from them. A pound of shrimp is expensive and when we splurge for a shrimp dinner I want to know what I'm getting. Their products and prices are posted on a board on the wall and are shown in dollars and pesos. The exchange rate is also listed but as usual it is always much cheaper to pay with pesos. I also like the way they vacuum package some of their shrimp. Great for transporting or storing in the freezer.
http://www.rockypointtalk.com/threads/sea-products-on-sinaloa.9503/#post-94515

Roberto

Just be careful as I think that was the area that GV got arrested for passing a stop sign :eek::eek::eek: But you do not have to worry about getting stuck in the sand !!:p:p:p

Oh also as a PPRES I buy nothing in the Malecon. Hate the hassle and nothing is price marked. I will buy shrimp from my friend Cisco at Mary's Coctaleria though. He's been a good friend for many years here.

Just be careful as I think that was the area that GV got arrested for passing a stop sign :eek::eek::eek: But you do not have to worry about getting stuck in the sand !!:p:p:p

Oh also as a PPRES I buy nothing in the Malecon. Hate the hassle and nothing is price marked. I will buy shrimp from my friend Cisco at Mary's Coctaleria though. He's been a good friend for many years here.
So can we tell Cisco, Roberto sent us? :)

It's called Sea Products and is on Sinaloa 1 block east of the Burger King that is on Benito Juarez. I agree the Malacon is a fun place to go and the experience of buying seafood there is unique, but the consistency of my purchases at Sea Products have sold me on buying exclusively from them. A pound of shrimp is expensive and when we splurge for a shrimp dinner I want to know what I'm getting. Their products and prices are posted on a board on the wall and are shown in dollars and pesos. The exchange rate is also listed but as usual it is always much cheaper to pay with pesos. I also like the way they vacuum package some of their shrimp. Great for transporting or storing in the freezer.
http://www.rockypointtalk.com/threads/sea-products-on-sinaloa.9503/#post-94515
Yup. we go there to get shrimp to take home. Problem is the way they are packaged as there is only two of us and I don't like to semi thaw that much shrimp just to get 8 or so out of the package

Landshark

Yup. we go there to get shrimp to take home. Problem is the way they are packaged as there is only two of us and I don't like to semi thaw that much shrimp just to get 8 or so out of the package
Ask them for fresh shrimp. Usually they have fresh/unfrozen shrimp in the back. You can buy whatever quantity you want. The last time I was there I got 1 1/2 lbs of fresh U10's. Smell them when they bring them out. You will be surprised because there is no smell!

Now correct me if I am wrong here. Prices say per 2 Kg. on the advertising sign,but the boxes I buy are marked 1.84 Kgs. so are we paying for 2 Kg"s or 1.84 Kg"s. It says 4 lbs on the side of box. Just wondering,Leigh